Wood stove in Fireplace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan Lewis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am brand new here so here is my bio. My wife and I are moving to gastonia area of North Carolina. Just bought a double wide with single pane windows and I know it's gonna be hard to heat. It has a fireplace that I am sure will be inefficient at heating our home. See the pic. So we want to put the wood stove (Pictured) in. Suggestions on how to do that? Can I just get single wall pipe and an elbow and stick it up the existing stove pipe? Thanks for your help
Sorry the pic in the house doesn't show the fireplace better.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BsltKJkOiWRa2TQHt1UD7JrViBiGUw7SmA/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2YiFdmELPoGRnZTQlF1dndXeFE/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2YiFdmELPoGSFB6cS02TERMZ3c/view?usp=sharing

Can you post a picture of the chimney and a closer picture of the fire place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the pipe diameter for the stove smaller than the fireplace flue? If so just run your stove pipe inside the existing chimney/pipe.

If it has good draft I guess you can put the smaller pipe inside the bigger one but I would use a reducer. The only wood burning fireplace places I've seen with a triple wall chimney are wood burning inserts and not real masonry fire places. My only concern with that is the weight of the new stove since inserts are light weight and usually built in a chase made of wood not brick

Typically masonry fireplaces have clay flues. If that is the case you would have to run your metal stovepipe all the way to the top of the flue. If it has a metal flue already I don't see why you couldn't tie into it. Make sure you'd have an easy way to clean out the flue. Either way you should get a building permit and have it inspected and added to your insurance policy. Also should add a CO detector.

They should have it if not then a home improvement store or a hvac supply house. The permit kind of depends on the town and what the inspector knows about the whole project. If it is an insert in there you have some work to do and I would definitely get a permit and have it inspected for safety

That looks like a corner wood burning fireplace insert. Inserts are made to burn wood inside them and keep the heat away from the area they are built in which is the opposite of a wood stove it radiates heat. You will have to pull the insert out and fire proof that area behind it with cement board or some sort of non combustible material. If it were a real masonry fire place it would be made out of fire brick and you could set the stove inside and not worry about it.

So you would change the 6 to 8 to go up the chimney? I will do some reinforcing under the floor for the weight.

If stove is 6" you will get a better draft with 6" to the top, but a good adapter to the 8" pipe should work. I would not just run a pipe up into a smoke shelf or into the bottom of a clay liner

You are going to want a proper hearth under the stove and that is going to add weight also. I think code is 18" on all sides.

My fireplace is all masonry with a smoke shelf and 10" clay flue. I went with an oval insulated flexible liner so I would not have to hack out the damper frame. That connected to a T-adapter to round 6" stovepipe with a clean out on the bottom of the T-

For the hearth I used fire board under 1 1/2" granite slab.

I also added a metal deflector to the mantle to protect it from the heat of the stove. I used an aluminum plate, with plate fitted flush at the bottom to the brick hearth above the stove, then angled 45 degrees past the edge of the mantle. I used ceramic electric fence insulators as spacers to give the air gap from the deflector to the mantle. Mantle stays cool no matter how hot the stove gets.

EDIT: If the fireplace is not all masonry/firebrick, you will have to insulate the walls properly also

Latest posts

Back