Wood stove in Fireplace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our install is a stick built house and a framed chimney - not masonry. It was one of those chitty zero clearance pre-fabbed fireplaces. We had a wood stove installed in front of it on the hearth. They ran a triple wall insulated pipe right down the 8" pipe already in the chimney. In the fireplace is a "T" with a cleanout on the bottom. They cut the clue out of the old pipe to get the new liner in. The new inside diameter is like 5.5", but it draws great! It can be done. Find the right parts and right people to talk to. We paid someone to install this and are quite happy now.

That is a zero clearance pre-fab fireplace installed with common framing lumber, you cannot put an airtight stove in it or hooked to it or through it in any way shape or form don't even think about it's a direct violation of NFPA 211 fire code and will never pass an inspection your homeowners insurance will turn it's back on you for any losses due to it.

Don't take anyone's word for it being safe on here, hire a certified guild sweep and you'll hear the kind of advice you really need before you get in trouble with a bad installation.

Any class A solid fuel heating appliance you install there must be rated for manufactured home construction with an outside air source in addition to proper venting in the installation.

Very well put trophyhunter. That's sorta the point that I was trying to get across. You can't just insert the stove into the fire place chase a lot of work needs to be done but I don't know all the codes for wood stoves in mobile homes since I only install furnaces and boilers n such and crapy natural gas fireplaces and inserts.

Thank you guys for your help. I agree with what your saying but don't understand the danger in reducing to 6 inch pipe and running it out to the stove. Will the pipe get hotter than if I just had a regular fire in the existing fire place?

The fireplace you have now doesn't require much clearance to combustible material and either does triple wall pipe but single wall pipe does and most wood stoves aren't rated for mobile home use and insurance companies won't like that.

Thank you guys for your help. I agree with what your saying but don't understand the danger in reducing to 6 inch pipe and running it out to the stove. Will the pipe get hotter than if I just had a regular fire in the existing fire place?
The danger lies in containment of the heat generated by the stove or a chimney fire, neither that tin fire box with 2 by 4 framing lumber 1/2" of the sides of the box behind the drywall or the lumber in the inner chase near the pipe can withstand the heat a stove will generate or a sustained chimney fire will produce. The breaking point of modern class A insulated chimney designed for a woodstove versus the air cooled triple wall that fireplace uses is night and day for rating of sustained temperature in a chimney fire.

You cannot install that old insert in a prefab home period, it's original certification was for installation into a full masonry fireplace with a direct connection to the first clay flue tile. You have neither of those you need to look into a mobile home rated certified stove with a dedicated outside air inlet and a new insulated class A solid fuel chimney if you want to heat with wood safely.

It can be done. Our certified Chimney Sweep installed it and our Homeowner's Co. signed off on the install. The ran a triple wall liner through our existing pipe, which is why it worked. We've burned it 24-7 through 2.5 winters so far and no issues - and it's gotten pretty damned hot. Not saying your wrong, just saying it is do-able the right way.

Back