Woodland Pro. Who makes it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems your's is the same as ours, at least there's one thing we can agree on.;)

How is the WP chain to sharpen, does it have the same wrist cramp tendencies as the Stihl? Not complaining, the harder to sharpen the harder the steel the longer it will hold an edge.

I would say the xc sharpenes fairly easy since is supposed to have the same cutters as oregon, I've never had a problem with oregon holding an edge, always worked very well for me. With that said, I will be ordering a bunch of WP chain tonight, I figured I might as well try it out, since I need some new chains. Can't go wrong with the price.

The way I read it is "TYPE" cutters... It doesn't say Oregon chain... last I looked it appeared to be Carlton. Who knows what they use today...

Last edited:
The way I read it is "TYPE" cutters... It doesn't say Oregon chain... last I looked it appeared to be Carlton. Who knows what they use today...

Ya, your probably right. But who really knows for sure. I'm going to try it, whats the worst that can happen, for $14 for a 24" chain, it may just wear out faster.

it will;)

Stihl chain isn't hard to sharpen - a sharp and clean (yes.. clean the damn files out!) file, moderate pressure... that's all...

it will;)

Stihl chain isn't hard to sharpen - a sharp and clean (yes.. clean the damn files out!) file, moderate pressure... that's all...

Yup, I've sharpened many Stihl chains. They are harder for sure, but I've never had a problem sharpening them, I usually grind anyway. I got Stihl chain on my 046 and 200t at the moment, but going to order WP to try out.

What I meant was on the Oregon chains I've had it took say 8 passes (no, I don't count just pulling a number out of the air) and it was sharp and be dull in about 1 tank whereas the Stihl will take 20 passes to be sharp and last forever. The metal on the Stihl chains seems to be alot harder than the Oregon chain. And yes after every pass I tap the butt of the file to knock loose the shavings and when I'm done I have a wire brush that gets run over them. One day I may take an old one or each down to my buddy and have him give me a Rockwell on both.

20 passes? lolol Chuck your file away...

We file MOST of our customer chains by hand.. and 3-5 passes would be normal. I sharpen mine before they get "blunt" - maybe 2 passes per two-three tanks... sometimes one pass.... and yes, I run stihl chain.

Last edited:
20 passes? lolol Chuck your file away...

We file MOST of our customer chains by hand.. and 3-5 passes would be normal. I sharpen mine before they get "blunt" - maybe 2 passes per two-three tanks... sometimes one pass.... and yes, I run stihl chain.

Well Lake, he is only sharpening once per 16 cords of wood, so there is no dought in my mind that it takes him at least 20 passes of the file.

Me it usually takes me no more then 4 passes.

16 cords and no sharp????????

16 cords and no sharp smells like i need my hip boots to finish reading this thread:popcorn: hellzz bellz i buy what ever my dealer has in stock for chain. carlton is soft as butter to file and dulls quick. i am finding the newer oregon chains to be made with less crome and this cause the chain to go dull quicker. stihl has improved the saw chain to a point where it is what i use on all my falling sawz. i love the stihl full skip .50 375 chain stays sharp for two tanks of fuel and a couple strokes of a file and i am back too work:clap:
:givebeer:

I said the 8 & 20 passes were pulling #'s out of the air. I don't know how may passes it takes, I've never paid attention. I'll do 1 or two then check it, 1 or then check it until it's sharp. I know it took alot more passes after I cut that big Elm than after cutting my usual Pine.

The rack on my 2500, long bed Cummins Ram is higher than my rear window, and just under the cab roof. I usually top it out a little higher than the rack, and the loads split and stack right at a cord. So far this year I've cut about 23 cords of Ponderosa, fir and spruce, mostly green, running a 7900 and a 372, with a loop of Stihl chain and a loop of Bailey's X series. I've sharpened both chains after each trip to the woods, totaling 2.5 cords per trip -- most trips -- and I can't tell much difference in wear. Both chains are fast. Considering the difference in cost, and the ease of ordering from Bailey's, the X series chain is the best deal for me, but I'm open to good deals on the Stihl chain. ...The Bailey's X series chain is Oregon cutters on Windsor chassis, and I haven't had stretching problems like some complain of with the Oregon chain.

Thanks, Pallis. I dont' have racks, would be nice but a real PITA to remove for the pop up. I'm stacked and strapped with those 2" 10K rated ones attached to the frame and wrapped over the 1/4's for each row. Rather crude but it works. When I started with the Stihl chains I inititally did a sharpen at about 2 cords and realized they didn't need it so checked at 3 etc until I settled on about 8, just worked my way up. Sounds like we are cutting the same basic wood, mine predominantly lodgepole. Hoping to order a few of the RCS's in a week or so. In the Pine I personally love the skip, but due to fewer cutter they may need sharpening more frequently (stands to reason anyhow), time will tell as I'll do the same with those as I did with the Stihls in re to sharpening frequency by just working my way from 2 cords up or down.

I said the 8 & 20 passes were pulling #'s out of the air. I don't know how may passes it takes, I've never paid attention. I'll do 1 or two then check it, 1 or then check it until it's sharp. I know it took alot more passes after I cut that big Elm than after cutting my usual Pine.

Man your story changes more often then you have to change baby's diaper.

Read my original post, yesterday 8:45PM

What I meant was on the Oregon chains I've had it took say 8 passes (no, I don't count just pulling a number out of the air) and it was sharp and be dull in about 1 tank whereas the Stihl will take 20 passes to be sharp and last forever.

And I still said that, Oregon chain took less passes to resharpen which means it is softer metal (and you can see the cutters get smaller). The Stihl chain took more passes to sharpen because it is a harder steel (and the cutters don't get visibly smaller)

Bailey Chain

As a long time user of various chains from various dealers I can confidently state that the WP chain from Bailey's is good stuff, and
for the money it is great. I especially like their 34LP chain for the
small saws, stays sharp longer than Stihl's, and cost half than the
dealer charges. The StihlHeads will clobber me of course, but in my
case the WP is just as durable and fast.

Back