Woods Porting The MS660......Tricks And Tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I gather base it on your type of use.... if your off & on the throttle alot, like limbing, 50:1 is fine. If your running high rpm for long periods of time, like bucking large rounds, milling, 32:1is better option. Made sense to me. As far as 066 top end I've seen 064 top ends that have turned out just as strong.

The 100LL fuel has been tested by you and I both with no gains.......and in my mind I think the engines ran better with 87.

It's a fact that as you raise the octane, the btu/gallon of the fuel drops. Another way of saying that higher octane fuel will produce less power.

Now, the reason to run higher octane fuel is that as you increase the compression ratio to get more power, lower octane fuel will detonate, so to keep the piston and head from getting beat to death by detonation, you need to go to higher octane fuel. If your modded engine can run on 87 octane with no detonation, than that will be the highest power fuel you can use. If you start getting detonation, then it's time to up the octane. Also as an engine heats up, detonation occurs more easily. So while you might be able to cut a few slabs on a cool fall day with no problems on 87 octane, if you're doing a prolonged run in higher ambient temps the saw will be more prone to detonate.

I like the trade mark, MM. Good Idea!:msp_thumbsup:

The HD2 filter is a performance enhancer all by itself. I've seen a 500rpm increase by just replacing the old filter with one of these.

MS660002_zps6a7aa72a.jpg

Curious, do you run (or have you tested the hd2 with) the pre-filter? I would be concerned that because the 660 lacks the closed airinduction of the 441 or 261 that the pleated filter would fill w/ chips and be difficuylt to clean.

dw

Curious, do you run (or have you tested the hd2 with) the pre-filter? I would be concerned that because the 660 lacks the closed airinduction of the 441 or 261 that the pleated filter would fill w/ chips and be difficuylt to clean.

dw

Guys that use these saws every day have complained that the HD2 filter is bad to fill with crap. I've not used one with a pre-filter though.

Guys that use these saws every day have complained that the HD2 filter is bad to fill with crap. I've not used one with a pre-filter though.

Thanks, yes I would expect they fill up, but wonder what (if any) the gain would be w/ the prefilter, of if it is even worth the time...

May have to throw the tach on my 660 and play a little music-filters to see aht it changes.

dw

dw

It's very good at getting clogged up with crap. I run a full time tree service and most of my big saws have the HD2 filters, including the 660. I kind of feel the old kind was better. I didn't notice any performance increase going from HD to HD2, but I did end up spending a lot more time cleaning them out. With the HD filter I used to just tap it out a couple times a day. With the HD2, I tap it out a couple times a day, then in the shop at the end of the day while sharpening I get into it with compressed air which gets some of the crap out, then with a bent screw driver to scrape it out. Every day. My saws are all well sharp, with rakers set at about 5.5 degrees on the bigger bars and 7 degrees on the mid size bars. They throw chips, not dust. I think people get too excited about finding some fine dust on the inside of their filter.

I think the air routing on future saws is going to make a huge difference. I have the HD2 filter on a couple 441cm's, and they only need cleaning out every couple of months. Even after a couple months it's less than what would be in the 660 from a few hours.

Shaun

stihlman441 should be along soon with pics of his prefilters i have seen them before and looks like they work
wonders

Couldn't help myself left work early. All that I can say is Boom Chaka Laka!!!! It's just mean Randy Thank You!!

It's very good at getting clogged up with crap. I run a full time tree service and most of my big saws have the HD2 filters, including the 660. I kind of feel the old kind was better. I didn't notice any performance increase going from HD to HD2, but I did end up spending a lot more time cleaning them out. With the HD filter I used to just tap it out a couple times a day. With the HD2, I tap it out a couple times a day, then in the shop at the end of the day while sharpening I get into it with compressed air which gets some of the crap out, then with a bent screw driver to scrape it out. Every day. My saws are all well sharp, with rakers set at about 5.5 degrees on the bigger bars and 7 degrees on the mid size bars. They throw chips, not dust. I think people get too excited about finding some fine dust on the inside of their filter.

I think the air routing on future saws is going to make a huge difference. I have the HD2 filter on a couple 441cm's, and they only need cleaning out every couple of months. Even after a couple months it's less than what would be in the 660 from a few hours.

Shaun

Exactly what I figured. I know Stihl makes a prefilter as it came stock on my 660 w/ the HD1 and it fits the HD2, just wasn't sure if the performance would be there.

Here ya go

192895d1312448586-2011-04-27_16-17-28_479-jpg

attachment.php

Likey likey... PNs? or a link to the thread where the PN are discussed.....

dw

Scratch that... $6.95, ain't bad fort the Outwears, even comes in purple. :)

dw

I think a prefilter would at least keep the large chips from getting embedded in the filter. Anything will help since a 066 air intake couldn't get any worse short of a snorkel to the clutch cover.

I find it particularly funny that Stihl is the only manufacturer to have to vacuum reference their carbs (top of diaphragm references to inside air filter) to work around a rich mixture due to clogging air filters, that is cut-off saw technology.

I think a prefilter would at least keep the large chips from getting embedded in the filter. Anything will help since a 066 air intake couldn't get any worse short of a snorkel to the clutch cover.

I find it particularly funny that Stihl is the only manufacturer to have to vacuum reference their carbs (top of diaphragm references to inside air filter) to work around a rich mixture due to clogging air filters, that is cut-off saw technology.

Yep, Stihl needed that technology on chainsaws!!:laugh:

BTW, HOORAY 395xp! :hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back