Woods Porting The MS660......Tricks And Tips

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[/B]

Yep, Stihl needed that technology on chainsaws!!:laugh:

BTW, HOORAY 395xp! :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm a big fan of the 394XP, haven't gotten my mits (or my Foredom) on a 395 yet. Besides for the hot start problem (which I think I fixed with a different heat range plug) I haven't found anything to complain about with the 394.

I find it particularly funny that Stihl is the only manufacturer to have to vacuum reference their carbs (top of diaphragm references to inside air filter) to work around a rich mixture due to clogging air filters, that is cut-off saw technology.

husky's have it too

Pre filter option

I used to race Dirt track bikes growing up. With these bikes we ran K&N filters just hanging off the carbs. A lot of people would buy a few pairs of women’s silk stockings and stretch them over the filters to keep the big clumps out of the pleats. They were just the right mesh size to not restrict the air flow. You can cut them in lengths and get a lot from 1 pair and just throw them out when they were used up. I’m guessing the same approach would work on saws that use the Husky 394 or Stihl 660 style of filters.

MP5N

Premium pump gas with full synthetic oil at 32:1. That's what I advise to all my customers. I wouldn't go any less than 40:1.

...and what about the stihl motomix? Can that be run with 200psi or a ported saw (not added compression) aswell?

As anyone who's worked on two smokes knows, it takes much more than a degree wheel and a moto tool to make an engine builder.

But it's not just the investment in various hand pieces and burrs, it just takes time to learn how to layout a cylinder to port it, how the burrs behave in the cut, and no matter how many ports you've ground you'll have an oh sheep dip moment when a burr gets away from you and ruins a cylinder you've spent hours porting.

Honestly I've found one of the best additions to a grinding outfit is a foot pedal so you can turn the darn thing on and off quickly. I'm using a makita die grinder to power my foredom flex cable and a variac to control speed. But the foot pedal on off is highly recomended.

If anyone is secretive about their porting it's probably because they are embarassed to show how ugly the grinding marks are that they leave.

I'd love to see your set up on how you used the Makita die grinder. I have a Makita just never thought it was possible

The pre filters sort of work,this is a 461 after 4 tanks of fuel.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back