Woods trailer 2.0

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Timber

1/4 bubble off
Reaction score
I've been using my "scrap bin" trailer well beyond it's intended capacity for most of it's time in service. On the rare occasion it gets to do things like haul a 250# buddy, or if it's really lucky just hold my saws and oil; the rest of the time it's piled high with wood. I call it the scrap bin trailer for the simple fact that other than the wheels, the whole thing came out of my drops from other projects, or stuff that I'd picked up free. When I decided to camo paint it, that actually raised the cost 20% because I didn't have brown or green paint.

IMAG0066.jpg

The 10" wheels actually work remarkably well over large obstacles. There's been some logs where they've gone end over, but 95% of the time they just ride up the object and keep on truck'n. That's why I decided not to make a spinning axle on the walking beams for this trailer. If I ever manage to get it stuck, I just need to put a smaller log down to get it to climb, so there's really nothing to worry about. It's been a good trailer, and will likely continue to be used, but hopefully not over worked like it's been.

Here's a rare glimpse into how I operate when I use technology in design. That's a state of the art ball point pen. :p I might be a machinist, but I don't like working in CAD. I just work faster on paper when it's something only I need to understand. I've already made a couple changes from this sketch, but since it's not critical to other dimensions there was no reason to update the drawing. You'll be able to see them vividly once things start taking shape.

IMAG0892.jpg

This is going to be a multi-purpose trailer similar to the T-rex (only not made in china), but a little different too. There'll be a wooden flatbed deck on the frame, and stake pockets for 2x4's. I'll have provisions for a dump box as well, but that'll be a winter project for later on. I also plan on making a people hauling "bench" for it as well. When it's cold and dark, it's a lot nicer to get picked up from the deer stand than have to walk half a mile back to the cabin. Deer don't get as spooked by me rolling the woods on the wheeler as they do seeing people walking, so that's an added benefit.

So now I start making parts:

IMAG0893.jpg

Even with the extraneous crap on my fab table, this is a drastic improvement to the mess it was yesterday. :dizzy: I had receipts from back before the dictator was elected buried in the mess.

I still need to procure axles and hubs, and should have those tonight.

Back to cutting steel...

I'll be watching this one - nothing beats a walking beam trailer for hauling in the woods. Or anywhere it's any kind of rough. I found a used home-made one this summer - the guy really liked to use his welder, so I've got a strong base. I'll be rebuilding the deck & box next spring to do double duty as a box trailer, and a bare-frame saw-buck-on-wheels type trailer for the smaller long-length stuff so I can buck a whole load of that stuff right at my piling area.

Looks good already!

Good luck with your project. I went the easy route and bought a chi-chom frame (4x8) from harbour freight. I think it was on sale for 250 something not including the treated lumber I used for the deck and rails. I'm sure your will be way heavier duty than mine. mine only rated for 1100#

:laugh: There was a strap on that load when I finished stacking it. It fell off on the bumpy trip.

I've got a 4x6 trailer that's 6' wide and won't fit in my trails. I don't need to keep it exactly at 48", but much over 52" and it gets hairy getting through the swamp.

Since the frame on this is 3x3x3/16" tube, I'm pretty sure it's going to be a bit stronger than most trailers it's size. :rock: I need ground clearance, obstacle climbing ability, and I'm somewhat particular about the size. Plus I have fun making stuff, so buying it isn't a benefit.

Love the axle design.

I've done some welding but dont own a welder. Also love fabrication as you can make exactly what you want. It's on my "when I have more time" list that also includes bow hunting, turkey hunting, tying my own fishing rods, and so on....Just need to fledge my 5 kids before I get to that stuff ;)

I'm anxious to see the finished product. I want to build something that's pretty much a carbon copy of what you're doing. Same size, same purpose, same axles, and built to last.

Here is what I currently use. I try to be nice to it, but I can't go 2 mph for very long.

IMAG0078.jpg

This is a pic of my tight quarters mobile. Second trailer is when there is plenty of rroom.

IMG_20120916_111141.jpg Its hard to beat a landscape trailer for big loads. I drop the gate and wheel the rounds on a dolly right up the ramp. IMG_20131108_172450.jpg IMG_20130627_175109.jpg IMG_20130728_203150.jpg

Last edited:
I've been using a 6x8 pop-up-camper-frame-turned-trailer to haul splits from the splitter to where I'm stacking it. Trailer itself is so heavy it unloads the rear of my ATV when trying to backup, and adding wood to it only exacerbates that so I use the Jeep to move it around.

So I'd like to make one specifically for my ATV. I'll be following this for sure Jim! :)

Well, my little trailer ain't gonna be light. :p It will be pretty darn handy though.

I got my hubs and spindles today as planned, so tonight should produce some walking beams and their mounts. I'm putting the kiddo to bed and then off to the shop.

Might not be light, but I'm sure the weight will be much better distributed. Can't wait to see the finished product.

After chopping off, sleeving, and welding in a new axle stub - my atv hauling trailer is fixed from the wheel bearing failure last week. I upgraded the tires on that one too. It's kinda redneck now (fat tires that stick out from the fenders and lifted :laugh: ), but there's less wheel speed and a bit more rubber to dissipate heat. This is what I was up to for the first part of my evening:

IMAG0894.jpg

Then I got back to work on the 2.0:

There's most of the tubing for the frame cut.

IMAG0895.jpg

Then I started on the walking beams. The bearing races are 1.5" OD and will be clamped solid between the mounts. The thin rings are Teflon/bronze/lead bushings which are essentially self-cleaning and rated for an ungodly SFM at load, but I just like them for being maintenance free and cheaper than sintered bronze (oil-lite) with a more favorable load rating to boot.

IMAG0896.jpg

The 2.25" solid puck is going to become the housing the bushings get pressed into.

IMAG0897.jpg

I have several of these mondo end mills to use when hogging material. This one is 1.5" and got me close enough to swap over to my boring bar for the final diameter.

IMAG0899.jpg

This is what the whole package looks like, and broken down. The races are wider because the beams are going in a section of 2x4" tubing. I'll need to make some bushings to keep them from rubbing on the sides, but that'll come later.

IMAG0900.jpg

Then I just used a hole saw to poke the 2.25" holes in the beams. It's a touch loose, but not a critical dimension (won't effect toe or camber). I make up for the slop by welding to one side on both sides first, which locates the sleeve square and then I tack it in two more places before finishing it up.

I degrease and flap wheel off the rust before welding. If you leave the rust on it, it can cause porosity in the welds and that's unacceptable. :)

Latest posts

Back