Woods trailer 2.0

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got my log arch for saw logs. This is a more general use trailer for building materials, firewood, dirt, etc.

I could make an extension tongue out of 2" tube, but I don't envision doing that.

I hadn't considered selling it, and don't want to compete with chinese labor price wise, but you could make an offer. Worst I can do is make fun of you and insult your family. :p I am open to custom work. PM me if serious.

I decided to weld a couple drops together to make my last strap rail, and put stubby bump frogs in front of the front wheels.

IMAG0928-1.jpg

After that, I started painting it. The primer went fine until I ran out. Then the new can of rustoleum BBQ black I've had awesome results with for years decided it would rather pee all over my shop than come out the nozzle. So that's headed back to the first store that will exchange it.

So while the primer was drying I made the shims for the walking beams. I dropped my last cut off tool a couple weeks ago and broke the carbide off it, so I just used as much of my groove tool as I could get into the work instead, then cut the shims off with my bandsaw. After that, I ground off the flange that remained. They're not the best looking shims I've ever made, but they'll do the job.

IMAG0929.jpg

IMAG0930.jpg

My dad would be proud. He was a mold and die guy his whole life and your pics look kinda what i remember his shop looking like
My dad was a was a welder, he would be proud as well.... the last few years of his life he was in to scrap metal hauling, mostly combines, discs, seed drills that sort of thing. Wish I had pics of his trailers with their homemade cranes and everything... it would be cool.

People underestimate the usefulness of a trailer. A medocre trailer can haul WAY more than a 3/4 T truck.

I am looking for an enclosed trailer for hauling and storing/delivering firewood and other stuff.

It's tough to find a good parting tool and I've never been lucky with a HSS parting tool. I did find one at MSC that fit my tool holder on my Hardinge CHNC and would part off the biggest stock I could fit into the 16C collet. One trick I use in my Samson manual is to cut them off in the band saw after drilling them out to fit a mandrel then turn the faces down to a little below finished ID then chuck them on the OD and finish boring. Takes a little time but works in pinch.

JT

My little scrap bin trailer has been invaluable. My atv can pull a lot more than you can stack on it - just like with full size trucks.

Eventually, I'll be making a bigger trailer for hauling machinery up north. My house is in the Twin Cities, and I'm planning on moving to the wood lot up in Brainerd as soon as I can afford to.

I could've chucked these up and faced them, but it's not mission critical and it's my trailer. The stock was already 1.5" ID, I just ran the end mill in it to make sure it'd clear the beam axles. The shims are .081" btw.

I've had good luck with the M42 cobalt T profile parting tools, but when they bind they shatter - which is why I was using a soldered carbide tool instead. That one was working great, but I slipped and it hit the floor and cracked off.

I hadn't considered selling it, and don't want to compete with chinese labor price wise, but you could make an offer. Worst I can do is make fun of you and insult your family. :p I am open to custom work. PM me if serious.
I was 9/10ths of the way joking, :) I wouldn't be able to afford it, but I really like what I see!

Building these for sale wouldn't be too bad labor wise if I MIGed them, but materials are probably around $700 alone. I'm not sure about the square tubing since I've had it for years on the rack.

T-rex/DR versa trailers are $1500, and come right out of the crate from china.

Need to get the deck on and the tie down loops mounted, but she's out of the shop. :rock:

IMAG0932.jpg

My measurements worked out perfect. It's 14" at the tongue and 14.75" at the tail of the frame. So the trailer has the same max ground clearance the atv has.

IMAG0933.jpg

This was just an accidental display of articulation while worming the beast out of the garage:

IMAG0931.jpg

Thanks guys!

Just took it for a little spin down the street to test how it pulls and backs up. This sucker is gonna be niiiiiice in the woods. :D The extra wheelbase made all the difference in the world for backing up.

I learned them as tire "frogs" - but that's coming from a salty old railroad man. The wheel guides on train track to keep from hammering the tracks at junctions where tracks cross each other are called frogs.

They're far enough forward I can up-size my tires if I want, and they're just wide enough to kick the tree/rock/whatever onto the last 3/4" of tire. So they don't add any width and should prevent hanging. For my regular trails, these aren't an issue, but when I go mowing over saplings they should keep me from swearing. :)

Latest posts

Back