Woodstock soap stone stoves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pcoz88

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We just bought one last fall and we love it.Any body else have one?:cheers:

I bought a Hearthstone. I believe from Vermont. 5 years now and it is great. What's nice is the radiant heat once the fire goes out coming off the stone.

Hearthstone

Dale said:
I bought a Hearthstone. I believe from Vermont. 5 years now and it is great. What's nice is the radiant heat once the fire goes out coming off the stone.

Hi Dale,

Which model do you have? I'm in the market of buying a Hearthstone Mansfield and would like to hear opinions...thanks!

Andrew

Stoves

Came over to the wood side this year myself bought a Jotul 600. Very pleased with the stove, was going to go with the woodstock but couldn't find a dealer that had any in stock when I bought mine. Love the heat the stove will hold a burn for 6-8 hrs at a time. Now just need to find some firewood. I managed to cut my heating bills from $350 a month to about $75 for both gas and electric. About 4 more years and the stove will pay itself off.

bellhead said:
Came over to the wood side this year myself bought a Jotul 600. Very pleased with the stove, was going to go with the woodstock but couldn't find a dealer that had any in stock when I bought mine. Love the heat the stove will hold a burn for 6-8 hrs at a time. Now just need to find some firewood. I managed to cut my heating bills from $350 a month to about $75 for both gas and electric. About 4 more years and the stove will pay itself off.

Welcome to the world of wood heat Bellhead! Glad to hear your stove will save you $$$ in the long run!

The Jotul 600 looks nice, I just like the idea of soapstone and a US company with the Hearthstones.

Woodstock seems to be a mail order only company, and all models have catalysts, two negatives with me.

Again, welcome and thanks for posting!!!

Stihl088stock said:
Hi Dale,

Which model do you have? I'm in the market of buying a Hearthstone Mansfield and would like to hear opinions...thanks!

Andrew

We have had a Hearthstone Mansfield in new house for 1-1/2 years and love it. My heating bill was $500 for propane last year. It heats a 1700 SF house with a mostly open floor plan really well. It takes the soapstone a while to heat up but it radiates heat long after the wood burns down throughout the night. I load it up at about 9pm, cut the damper back and when I get up at 4:30 there are still coals and you cannot touch the soapstone exterior.

Leebo said:
We have had a Hearthstone Mansfield in new house for 1-1/2 years and love it. My heating bill was $500 for propane last year. It heats a 1700 SF house with a mostly open floor plan really well. It takes the soapstone a while to heat up but it radiates heat long after the wood burns down throughout the night. I load it up at about 9pm, cut the damper back and when I get up at 4:30 there are still coals and you cannot touch the soapstone exterior.

Hi Leebo,

That's a great report, sounds like the mansfield is the stove for me. I'm actually heading to my closest dealer today to check one out.

Thanks for your opinion!

-Andrew

We are in the market for a new stove and love the look of the Hearthstone stoves.
Friends have said that the soapstones are not the way to go due to the length of time it takes to heat up.
That doesn't make a a lot of sense to me. Outside of the loss through the flue, heat in is going to be heat out.

Do soapstones have a downside I don't understand? Is there an appreciable difference between cast iron with soapstone and just cast iron?

Thanks!

Soapstone

RockinB said:
We are in the market for a new stove and love the look of the Hearthstone stoves.
Friends have said that the soapstones are not the way to go due to the length of time it takes to heat up.
That doesn't make a a lot of sense to me. Outside of the loss through the flue, heat in is going to be heat out.

Do soapstones have a downside I don't understand? Is there an appreciable difference between cast iron with soapstone and just cast iron?

Thanks!

Hi RockinB As I understand it, soapstone takes a little while to heat up, but will continue to heat your home after the fire is out. Even if you burn for a short term. I would say that soapstone is the way to go if you, like other humans, enjoy sleeping, just let the fire go out and enjoy the soapstone's extended heating time.

I hear that soapstone gives a gentle heat... so start the fire (or keep it going) as soon as your house feels a little cold. let the fire die down and the soapstone will continue to give off warmth. Yes, it takes longer to heat a large stove up initially, but as long as you start early you will be warm.
I think it is a great idea. I hope to buy a heathstone mansfield in the next two weeks. I then hope to report accurately thereafter...

Best,

Andrew

RockinB said:

Thanks!

As far as I'm concerned, soapstone is the only way to go. It does take about a 1/2 hour from starting a fire for it to start radiating heat, but once the fire starts going out it will keep warming for hours. Even with a roaring fire going, it will not roast you out of the house. I like the glass front door on the Mansfield...you get to enjoy the fire. Front and side load doors are a plus too.

We have a hearthstone as well. Absolutely love it. Cast iron stoves are nice, but they don't hold the heat like soapstone. I like to wake up and still have a hot stove.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll fear buying soapstone then.

The decision comes down to the Jotul 600 and the Hearthstone Mansfield.

RockinB said:
Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll fear buying soapstone then.

The decision comes down to the Jotul 600 and the Hearthstone Mansfield.

If you check the hearthstone website you will see that the Mansfield w/black enameled castings has a MSRP of $2799 (blue is $2749, black painted is $2449)

Just be aware of that, I have found that some dealers are below MSRP and others are too far above. I guess it depends on the volume each dealer handles a year.

I say USA! Mansfield all the way!

I think we paid 2000 for the black enamel Mansfield 3 years ago.

brian660 said:
my hearthstone was only 2100.

Hi brian660,

Which model, which finish, and what year did you purchase it?

They tend to cost a little more here on the west coast due to extra freight fees. I can't find "over yonder" on my map though.

I paid around $2000 for the Jotul 600 + $800 installation + $1600 for the pipe outside the house. Had to go that way due to the insurance company would cancel me if I did it myself. Next time I'll just change insurance companies. It was not all very difficult, a kid with 9th grade shop experience could do it. The hard part was building the hearth around it. By far the hardest and most detailed tile job I have ever done. This was the 5th time I have done a tile job. 3 floors and a bathroom. It definately came out great. But the cost of the tile was cheap $250 "wifey's decorative tiles" + wonderboard $15 + backache "tiling isn't easy" +$4 grout. Love the heat, now just need to find some free firewood, already been making contacts.

Stihl088stock said:
Hi brian660,

Which model, which finish, and what year did you purchase it?

They tend to cost a little more here on the west coast due to extra freight fees. I can't find "over yonder" on my map though.

its a mansfield, finished in brown enamel purchased early last year. and over yonder would be washington state :laugh:

Back