Woodstock soap stone stoves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good prices

brian660 said:
its a mansfield, finished in brown enamel purchased early last year. and over yonder would be washington state :laugh:

Wow, that's a pretty good deal compared to the prices I've been quoted from dealers in my neck of the woods. I can't believe the price went up so much since last year.

What's your secret??? Are you a hot female college student/stripper who is liberal with lap dances or what?

I'll update my map of the states by crossing out Washington and writing in over yonder...LOL...thanks for the info!

buddys father in law is a contractor who found it for me, but i`m unaware of any special deal he got on it cause I went in to pick it up.

What?

TreeCo said:
Soapstone stoves are a gimmick. Stick with steel or cast iron.

All marketing ploys are gimmicks. Do you have any tangible reasons why you say that soapstone stoves are a gimmick? Do you even use a soapstone stove? Unless you can give plausible, founded negative feedback about why soapstone is undesirable, please keep personal opinions to yourself.

EVERYONE I have talked to that OWNS and USES a soapstone stove is pleased with it. Please tell us WHY you say different.

As far as I am concerned most arborists are gimmicks too, but some are very good at what they do. It's probably similar in the world of wood stoves, some promise what they just can not provide.

TreeCo said:
Soapstone stove promotion is based on a lie. BTU retention is a product of the mass of a stove....not what it is made of. I've read this lie for years in the Mansfield literature and it is pure bull.

Even the soapstone stoves are held together by cast iron or steel.

Polling everyone you've talked to that owns a soapstone stove and hearing that they are happy with it is like taking a poll in McDonald's and asking if they like Big Macs.

You DID NOT answer all my questions... smarty pants
You act like a soapstone stove is like buying a Yugo and you'll get a POS, where can I buy a steel stove w/the same thermal capacity as the stone stoves sold? Why do you think steel stoves are lined w/refractory brick? Do you have any answers or are you just here to fight?

Last edited:
Specific heat

By the way, the specific heat of soapstone is HIGHER than cast iron/ steel.

TreeCo you ARE WRONG and very uninformed! Let's hear some proof and not lame Mcdonald's analogies.

088 I'll try to put some pics of our soap stone stove later this weekend.I had a steel wood burning stove before we got our soap stone.There is no comparision.Soap stone alooooooooooottt better by far.Our's is a Woodstock soap stone stove, model fireview.Only the cornors of the stove and
where the glass window frame are cast iron and of corse(sp) the ceramic glass.:yoyo:

088 I'll try to put some pics of our soap stone stove later this weekend.I had a steel wood burning stove before we got our soap stone.There is no comparision.Soap stone alooooooooooottt better by far.Our's is a Woodstock soap stone stove, model fireview.Only the corner's of the stove and
where the glass window frame are cast iron and of coarse(sp) the ceramic glass.:yoyo:

TreeCo said:
Even the soapstone stoves are held together by cast iron or steel.

Of course they are "held together" by cast iron or steel. They are made of that. Soapstone is added to the surface of a cast iron stove to act as a heat absobing mass to allow "slow release" at a later time.

I think I like the concept and many report that it works well.

Attractive appearance is just a bonus...

But, YMMV

Thanks!

Pcoz88 said:
088 I'll try to put some pics of our soap stone stove later this weekend.I had a steel wood burning stove before we got our soap stone.There is no comparision.Soap stone alooooooooooottt better by far.Our's is a Woodstock soap stone stove, model fireview.Only the corner's of the stove and
where the glass window frame are cast iron and of coarse(sp) the ceramic glass.:yoyo:

Hi Pcoz88,

Thanks, it's great to hear a response from someone who KNOWS what they are talking about and not just THINK they know. Experience is key to opinion!!

I have yet to find a legitimate downside to soapstone other than initial heat up time and unit cost.

I'm looking foreword to see your pics!

RockinB,Woodstock soap stone stoves only have cast iron at the corner's and fire box door and glass frame if it is a model with glass.Other then that its soap stone on tops and side.Inside firebox too except for the bottom it has fire brick.:yoyo:

Last edited:
Pcoz88 said:
RockinB,Woodstock soap stone stoves only have cast iron at the corner's and fire box door and glass frame if it is a model with glass.Other then that its soap stone on tops and side.Inside firebox too except for the bottom it has fire brick.:yoyo:

I'm looking at Hearthstone stoves. What about them?

I bought a Pacific Energy Summit fireplace insert in Dec. and it works great. I loaded full of oak and there's coals in there for 3 days after letting the fire burn out. Its great. It pumps out the heat too. The digital therm. stops at 99.99 degrees in the room.

I looked into a soapstone hearth stove. They are beautiful. I like the cubic area of the firebox of the summit. It is one of the biggest firebox. I load it up and let it burn.

Back