Woodstock soap stone stoves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RockinB said:
Thank you.
I actually have checked them out and decided that I don't want a cat stove.

I quote too much!

Anyway, I'm a chemist (hold the applause) and a catalyst on a wood stove just doesn't make sense. The cat stoves I have seen have a damper/bypass so when you are starting or feeding the fire, the catalyst is not in use. Well, those will be the two times the stove will burn with the least complete combustion (dirty.) When any stove is at temperature and not starved for air it will burn fairly clean, even those old "smokers" or open fires. Sounds like a pain, especially with one more control to fool with.

The non cat stoves that use air passages feeding the secondary burn are essentially the same idea, well, actually a better idea that accomplishes the same net result. Just without having to operate, clean, or replace cat-combs.

I'll step off my soapbox now

Stihl088stock said:
I quote too much!

Anyway, I'm a chemist (hold the applause) and a catalyst on a wood stove just doesn't make sense. The cat stoves I have seen have a damper/bypass so when you are starting or feeding the fire, the catalyst is not in use. Well, those will be the two times the stove will burn with the least complete combustion (dirty.) When any stove is at temperature and not starved for air it will burn fairly clean, even those old "smokers" or open fires. Sounds like a pain, especially with one more control to fool with.

The non cat stoves that use air passages feeding the secondary burn are essentially the same idea, well, actually a better idea that accomplishes the same net result. Just without having to operate, clean, or replace cat-combs.

I'll step off my soapbox now

I'm a little more simplistic. I don't want a stove tht I have to buy parts for. That just makes no sense to me. The new generation of non-cat stoves are pretty clean burning in their own right.

Combustor

RockinB said:
I'm a little more simplistic. I don't want a stove tht I have to buy parts for. That just makes no sense to me. The new generation of non-cat stoves are pretty clean burning in their own right.
RockinB , if you'll look at the picture of the Woodstock Soapstone Heater you'll see a knob that is attached to a shaft to engage the catalytic combustor . The heater works fine with the combustor disengaged , only engage it when more heat is needed .

Stihl088stock said:
Hi Dale,

Which model do you have? I'm in the market of buying a Hearthstone Mansfield and would like to hear opinions...thanks!

Andrew

I'll throw my .02 in. I owned the Heritage. I ran it for 3 years in a 1624 sq ft log home i built, and it was the only heat source(NE TX 1983). I was pleased with it's performance, and foud myself backing off a bit on the loads because it would get too warm in the house. Had to leave an iron kettle w/water on top all the time to keep the air from drying out too much. Always had a partial log left in the morning when it was time to re-fire. I can't compare to a solid iron stove because i never owned one, only a large fireplace insert with blowers, and the Heritage was way more efficient than the insert. I pulled up the Quadrafire website, and their freestanding stoves don't give a BTU rating, only a sq ft rating, so the two are diffucult to compare. I am starting another log home this fall in E. TN and am considering something that is built-in and surrounded by stone because i want hot water and radiant(floor) heat coils inside the enclosure. I also want an oven on the opposite side. I am also kicking around building the coils into the back of the hearth and going ahead with another free standing soapstone stove. I think it is more personal choice between iron and soapstone, each has a uniquie look, and most established mfg's build quality products in either.

RD

MotorSeven have you ck out masonary heaters? One called tulvikee(sp bad).There made from soap stone and most have a built in oven on top.:popcorn:

Pcoz88 said:
The cat has a 5 year warranty.whats wrong with stove pipe angle 088?:confused: :confused:

Nothing's wrong with it, looks like it heads off to the left at 30 degrees of level or so. Just something I've never seen before...hence interesting.

Them tulikivi heaters have designs that look like mountains and all kinds of stuff.:biggrinbounce2:

Woodstock

I'm new here, but had to pull up this old thread I found and post my Woodstock for everyone to see. This is my first cat stove and I wish I'd bought one sooner. I've burned 6 or 7 different stoves over many years and the Woodstock is by far the best I've owned. I burn 24/7 to heat 1800 sq ft from a finished basement, and it heats the whole house except windy below 0 winter days. Then I have a masonary heatform fireplace to help out the upstairs. Last year I went through 3 full cord of Oak for it's first full season of burning. 1 cord less than my previous Hearthstone or Regency in this house. I was a little leary of cat stoves for years, but this stove is very simple to operate and maintain.

Going on third heating season this fall with Woodstock soapstone.only thing I don't like is I had to replace the cat in it already.It is under warranty still but...I think Iam to blame some what on cat going bad so fast.They told me to make sure wood is seasoned and small piece's.Don't load any higher then the iron rods that protect the glass,thats if you have a glass one.Still love the stove .:clap: :clap:

Going on third heating season this fall with Woodstock soapstone.only thing I don't like is I had to replace the cat in it already.It is under warranty still but...I think Iam to blame some what on cat going bad so fast.They told me to make sure wood is seasoned and small piece's.Don't load any higher then the iron rods that protect the glass,thats if you have a glass one.Still love the stove .:clap: :clap:

I had to replace mine after one year, but that was my fault. I installed a probe thermometer, and was engaging as soon as the temp was up to 500. Sometimes as little as 5 min. Also my wood wasn't dry enough so it caused thermal shock to the cat and had cracks all the way through it. They replaced it for free, even paid shipping. There is a learning curve on these stoves, and that is why they prorate cat replacement. Some people have gone 8-10 years before cat replacement. Dry wood is the key.

BTW, When I asked how much wood I could jam in the stove, they told me I could fill it right up to the top. Strange they told you different.

They told me that too much wood in stove would cause flame impegiment(sp) on the cat.Flames actually touching cat.

What stove do you have? and how much does it weigh? High tech secondary combustion or catalytic?

Stone stores no more energy than cast iron or steel per pound of weight.

I'm not saying the soapstone stoves are bad I'm just saying they are not one bit better than cast iron or steel stoves. In fact the Quadrafire steel stoves are more efficient that any soapstone stove on the market I believe.

Besides all of the soapstone stoves I've seen are just around the 500lb. mark in weight and that is not enough weight to store many BTU's.

The thermal mass of the Russian fireplace designs do store large amounts of BTU's but they weigh from 3 to 5 tons. That's a lot more mass than the tiny Hearthstone stoves.

Dude, you don't know what you're talking about. A big cast iron stove (for large amount of sq. footages) is going to weigh nearly 500 lbs also. Its all about what you need, and how efficient you want to be. The Jotul firelight that my parents used until last year( I'm hoping to enherit it) weighs 465, as per jotul specs. EDIT: the model my folks have isn't made anymore; it was a firelight F600 WITH a catalytic converter, so it probably weighs about 550 or more; there's about 6" more cast iron behind the firebox. The cat converter, BTW, is INSANE. Talk about HOT. You can't sit within 6 feet of it even with a ceiling fan on and be comfortable. With a full load of 24" oak or locust, it burned for over 12 hours, and heated a 3500+sq. foot house, with the help of ceiling fans and a box fan in the hall. Only the upstairs bedrooms that were the furthest away from the stove needed supplemental electric heat, and only if you kept the bedroom doors closed. They used it for I think 10 seasons before converting to a jotul gas insert because my dad just didn't want to cut wood anymore.....just isn't the same without it.

I don't even own my own home yet, but when I do, I'd LOVE a soapstone stove. Talk about heat retention. Some friends of mine designed their living room around their soapstone stove, which sits atop a big cinderblock pillar to support the weight; it must be 6 feet high, about the same length, and 3 feet thick, but good god; that thing stays HOT for HOURS AND HOURS after the fire completely goes out. For the record, I looked it up; soapstone has a specific heat capacity of .22, whereas cast iron or cast steel is .11. Sure, they're heavier, but damn, even if you sleep in and don't load it up in the morning, your house will still be warm when you get home from work!

Last edited:
It's true soapstone has twice the specific heat retaining qualities than steel or cast iron. It's sientific fact. So it can hold more heat which makes for a more even gentle heat. You don't have the strong seering heat and then a sharp drop off as the fire dies like in steel or cast.

But that doesn't make soapstone better. It all depends on what you need or like the looks of. They will all reduce your energy bill. Quick heat or take the chill off go with steel/cast. If you burn pretty much 24/7 my opinion is soapstone can't be beat.

Check out www.woodstove.com I've been working for the WOODSTOCK SOAPSTONE COMPANY in west lebanon nh for the past two years. Their site has a lot of useful information as well as a price list.

Good to have you here Stovebuilder. MikeH is over at ********** site too, please join us there as well.

So since we've got your ear, please tell us about the new larger stove that Woodstock is making. The tax credit expires here in a a few months and that will effectively boost your prices by 30%. Do you plan to release the stove in time?

I am a soapstone stove burner and for the sake of this old thread I want to vote in favor of the material. The stone is very attractive and the quality of heat is excellent. Very steady radiation output like sitting in a sunny room.

Latest posts

Back