Woodstove Bangs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancyjw57

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am 62 years old and have a Hot blast wood stove. This is my first winter operating it on my own. Trying to remember everything my husband taught me about it and not stress about it. He passed last January. I am doing ok, accept for one thing. After I fill it and it is burning for about 20 to 45 minute it bangs really loud, like something was thrown against it. I don't remember that happening when my husband fired it up. Anyone know what is causing that and how I can stop it?
Nancy in Wisconsin

There's really no easy way to know over the Internet.
I am not familiar with this type of stove but some steel stoves make all sorts of loud noises if they are not set perfectly straight on the floor as the metal expands and distorts.
If the stove is old and/or has been neglected, however, it may be some welds are giving way.
Finally some older models may give a loud noise when in "low draft" mode as unburnt gases are ignited exiting the combustion chamber.

Regardless, having the stove looked over by a certified and especially honest (the kind that doesn't turn a low bill repair into an expensive sales pitch) repairsman will be the best way to be sure.

Does it sound like a drum getting hit or if you were to hit the top of your clothes dry with you hand? I know that’s a random comparison but if it does it is most likely the outer cover of the hot blast heating up and expanding. Mine does that sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it sound like a drum getting hit or if you were to hit the top of your clothes dry with you hand? I know that’s a random comparison but if it does it is most likely the outer cover of the hot blast heating up and expanding. Mine does that sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes that is kind of what it sounds like. Sometimes not as loud other times it makes me jump. I don't ever see anything wrong with the stove. Just need to get through this winter then I am switching over to gas heat. Getting too hard for my old knees to get up and down the basement steps.

I am 62 years old and have a Hot blast wood stove. This is my first winter operating it on my own. Trying to remember everything my husband taught me about it and not stress about it. He passed last January. I am doing ok, accept for one thing. After I fill it and it is burning for about 20 to 45 minute it bangs really loud, like something was thrown against it. I don't remember that happening when my husband fired it up. Anyone know what is causing that and how I can stop it?
Nancy in Wisconsin
Welcome to the forum, from Milwaukee!

Nancy in Wisconsin
think of yourself as 62 years young...;);)

Our ductwork will pop if it gets hot to a certain point, similar to a cooking sheet. I'm betting it's the airjacket making noise, however I wouldn't rule out one of the walls of the firebox. Over the years they could warp a little, and either heating or cooling could make some noise.
I thought too it might be ductwork. Especially the one that runs right from above the stove into a colder room where the water pipes come into the house. So maybe it is nothing to be concerned about? It may have always happened but now with the house so quiet I am just now hearing it.

Is the carcass of your stove steel ? if yes it could be similar to one we had in a house we moved into, the constant changes in expansion /contraction had over time bowed one of the plates when the stove got hot after firing up the plate bowed out with a loud "bong"I cured it by slicing a slot through the "hump"with a cutting disc beating flat & rewelding the slot, a length of 3/8 square bar welded at right angles to the slot cured this from 2004/13 when I i fitted a new stove the guy I sold it on to is still using it with no problems

I thought too it might be ductwork. Especially the one that runs right from above the stove into a colder room where the water pipes come into the house. So maybe it is nothing to be concerned about? It may have always happened but now with the house so quiet I am just now hearing it.

Do you know if your system has and damper valves in the duct work ? When I installed my wood furnace I put manual acting damper valves in so I could block off the wood burner in the warmer months.

I had the same banging from my furnace one year , after investigation I found that the damper on the warm air "out" side had been bumped and was partial closed..this made the outer sheetmetal flex on start-up as people are mentioning above.

I never would have believed such a small amount of restriction would cause this..maybe 10% blocked flow..I moved the valve to full-open and ..voila..no more banging.

Do you know if your system has and damper valves in the duct work ? When I installed my wood furnace I put manual acting damper valves in so I could block off the wood burner in the warmer months.

I had the same banging from my furnace one year , after investigation I found that the damper on the warm air "out" side had been bumped and was partial closed..this made the outer sheetmetal flex on start-up as people are mentioning above.

I never would have believed such a small amount of restriction would cause this..maybe 10% blocked flow..I moved the valve to full-meopen and ..voila..no more banging.
Thanks will have to check that out. I do have a cat that roams around in the basement chasing mice, maybe she bumped something.

There's really no easy way to know over the Internet.
I am not familiar with this type of stove but some steel stoves make all sorts of loud noises if they are not set perfectly straight on the floor as the metal expands and distorts.
If the stove is old and/or has been neglected, however, it may be some welds are giving way.
Finally some older models may give a loud noise when in "low draft" mode as unburnt gases are ignited exiting the combustion chamber.

Regardless, having the stove looked over by a certified and especially honest (the kind that doesn't turn a low bill repair into an expensive sales pitch) repairsman will be the best way to be sure.
Thanks...don't even know where to look for a repair man to look at it. Think I will just try to get through this winter with it, banging and all. Seems to be heating ok. Having the chimney cleaned again in a week. Very careful about removing the ashes when needed. Think I will be ok. Switching over to gas heat in the summer. I know it will be different been heating with wood for 36 years. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks...don't even know where to look for a repair man to look at it. Think I will just try to get through this winter with it, banging and all. Seems to be heating ok. Having the chimney cleaned again in a week. Very careful about removing the ashes when needed. Think I will be ok. Switching over to gas heat in the summer. I know it will be different been heating with wood for 36 years. Thanks again for your help.

Yes, it's not easy to find one.
Best wishes.

After I fill it and it is burning for about 20 to 45 minute it bangs really loud, like something was thrown against it.
I would tell this to the person you have clean your chimney, have them look things over for any critical problems. Maybe fire it up to see if it does it while they are there if they have time. You cant be too carefull, and any diagnosis on the internet is just a "best guess".

I would tell this to the person you have clean your chimney, have them look things over for any critical problems. Maybe fire it up to see if it does it while they are there if they have time. You cant be too carefull, and any diagnosis on the internet is just a "best guess".
Thank you I will.

Well I don't know what I am doing differently but the stove has not banged for about 24 hours now...?? I did notice a few times when I dumped the ashes that the tray had warped/twisted a bit. Then other times it was flat again Could that have made that noise? For now it is being quiet

Latest posts

Back