Frozen Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainbrake

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's that time of year. I's a small operator - only have 2 working saws.
Last Friday, I rode my saws hard in the rain and locked them away wet in the shipping container - like always.
It was no surprise to me that after sharpening them up on my snowy tailgate and heading out this morning
- both carburetors/fuel lines froze up after about 3 minutes of running.
45 years of chainsaws, and I had never had one freeze - let alone 2!
I took them back to my shop and thawed them for an hour in front of the wood stove.
They worked fine for 5 hours after that.
Has anyone ever put methyl hydrate in a fuel tank in the winter? If so, how much do you use? Thanks.

Sounds like you got water in the fuel, maybe absorbed by the ethanol and came out of the mix? Or do you think the water got in the fuel from the rain? I wouldn't add more alcohol, I would mix up fresh fuel. I would be concerned with the additional alcohol affecting the octane rating and mixture.

It's that time of year. I's a small operator - only have 2 working saws.
Last Friday, I rode my saws hard in the rain and locked them away wet in the shipping container - like always.
It was no surprise to me that after sharpening them up on my snowy tailgate and heading out this morning
- both carburetors/fuel lines froze up after about 3 minutes of running.
45 years of chainsaws, and I had never had one freeze - let alone 2!
I took them back to my shop and thawed them for an hour in front of the wood stove.
They worked fine for 5 hours after that.
Has anyone ever put methyl hydrate in a fuel tank in the winter? If so, how much do you use? Thanks.
Don't add methyl hydrate. Use iso propy if you absolutely must.

I was cutting all winter here my saws in a heated garage, on the road they were in the warm cab in the truck. My fuel was kept at outside temps.

"methyl hydrate" LOL the authorities are prolly afraid if they call it "wood alcohol" they'll get

iu

Methyl hydrate contains methyl alcohol, also known as methanol, which is often added to gasoline in minute quantities as gas-line antifreeze. Isopropyl alcohol is also known as isopropanol or “rubbing alcohol.”

Both of these products can be used as de-icers. Methanol is the more potent of the two, meaning less is required for the job and it’s quicker.

Sounds like you got water in the fuel, maybe absorbed by the ethanol and came out of the mix? Or do you think the water got in the fuel from the rain? I wouldn't add more alcohol, I would mix up fresh fuel. I would be concerned with the additional alcohol affecting the octane rating and mixture.
This is something I never would have thought of. I will keep your reply in mind in the future. As of yet, we have no ethanol in our gasoline here on the East Coast - as far as I know.

Go to Canadian tire and get a 6 pack of gas line antifreeze, put 1 of those bottles in a 5 gal can of fuel, I do that to mine here all winter.
I have a big can of methyl hydrate that I pour into my truck throughout the winters (a bit at a time). I know the size of those little six-pack bottles. Your post gives me the ratio to mix - thanks.

Latest posts

Back