Work light/ Back up light on chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter01

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking about mounting a light on the back of my chipper to help see when I'm backing it up at night, and also for occasional night time storm damage cleanup. I think there's a reverse wire in my 7 pin trailer plug on the truck. I might try wiring a light up on the chipper and running it through that connector.

Anyone done that?

I'm debating rigging a light on a short pole off the vertical pipe that is supposed to hold the debris pusher tool, which would get it up to a good height to work with, or using a magnetic mount so you could move it, if you need to change a tire or something.

What you all think? Ideas, suggestions, something better....

Yes a work light is nice but you either need LOTS of lite (the hole job site) or you are better off with none or VERY little. Working in the dark is hard but walking in and out of the light is very dangerous as your eyes do not adjust very fast.

As for backup lights that is a good thing to have

The best set up is to have tons of aux. lighting on the bucket truck or what ever truck you use. Like a fire truck has perimeter lighting ( floods ) set up on swivels so you can aim them anywhere. You can have each light set up on a master panel so that all lights come on at once or individually as required( group switching). I have two floods that aim upwards for bucket work and 1 light on a swivel pole for each truck corner. As well we have lots of deer here and hitting them is a real problem so I mounted 2 aircraft landing lights under the cab cage for night driving. You can see about a mile or so clear as day! The only downside is with all the lighting going you must have the truck running and if you have a wimpy charging system you will damage your battery and alt/gen. Figure out how many amp Alt/Gen you have and give a bit of headroom as it the Alt/gen is RPM dependent. My system is 24 volt run by a Cat diesel on a 5 ton.
With that setup you ca switch on the rear floods and light up the entire area as bright as day while backing up. Another good thing is to get two fiberglass rods on swivels and mount them on the rear corners of the chipper ( in a place that branches won't grab em') that can be lowered so you can see how far back and where the end of the chipper is. it assist in backup if the truck is wider than the trailer. any how good luck with that.

I've got a 97 brush bandit 250xp. It's a 12 volt system. I have a hard time seeing when I'm backing it up at night, and I really need to do something about it. The work light is a nice idea, but I'm sure the light I'm talking about won't be enough to actually chip brush by. I like the idea of a lot of lights on the truck, but I'm only working with a F550, not a big bucket with a chip body and canopy. One day though, I hope. Sorry for the confusion.

I can install some more lights outside my shop, but I think one on the chipper would be pretty handy. I figured someone else had rigged something like that up. I've got some ideas, I mess with them and figure out what works and report back.

led's will work great. vibration won't hert them,weather prof, low amp draw won't overload trucks syst,. more money up front , but if you don't tear them up will last long time.;

Back