Work picking up yet??????????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im trying to get in your boat! Going after commercial and HOA's this year. Rather maintain a bunch of small on a large property, than work on one big, in a back yard!

Where are you going to find that up there? Seems to be more big trees in backyards than anything.

Don't blame you though, looks like tough terrain and limited access alot of the time.

Not to mention, like you, I'd rather put my time into trees that will benefit for my efforts and have a future verses dealing with eons worth of negligence.

Work is picking up. Muscles are waking up. I've got saw chips flowing through the veins, and 2 cycle exhaust with the aroma of fresh cut wood opening up the airways. Actually got some sun yesterday, too.

Perfect combination. :msp_biggrin:

Most of the boys on the east side of our country are doing fine most of the time, as they tell it. Same with the guys on the other side. Those of us in the south and middle, contending with "certain elements" of our population, at large, are withering on the vine. When a job you properly bid for $1200 is done for $300 by four guys in a rickety pick-up truck, it's hard to keep going. I was going to post about going solo, which I may very well have to do just to get by, these days.

Any of you cut wayyy back, as in you're the company, now? Very curious. FWIW, many of my brothers, on here, whom I came to know over the years, those who lived and worked within four to six hours from me, are now off this board and out of business, thanks to the problem mentioned above. It just keeps getting worse.

Hey Sunrise, how's it going? I haven't been on here in quite some time. Are y'all calling illegal Mexicans "certain elements" these days. They are bad around here too....worse than I ever seen them. I held out for years hoping there would finally be some regulation put in this deal but I don't think it will ever happen during my working life. I probably won't fight the problem around here too much longer it's just not worth it. You are right, a lot of guys have quit the business over the last year or so. I used to gripe 20 years ago about the part timers and fly by nights. Now I realize how good I had it back then.

hey mike you'll love your mitsu chip truck when its done! Mine is more manuverable than my pickup and gets better fuel mil;age!

Mine is pretty much done. Built the body on it(6' high by 10.5 feet long) and did a lot of other work to get it road worthy.17,995 lb GVW. Great truck. turns on a dime and holds more chips than my bucket truck. Great gas mileage and turning radius. It all paid off too, which rocks. awesome on tight driveways and small lots.

Mike

Lots of snow here still, phones are slow. Long time since I have been on here. Lots seems to have changed. Everyone is new.

Where are you going to find that up there? Seems to be more big trees in backyards than anything.

Don't blame you though, looks like tough terrain and limited access alot of the time.

Not to mention, like you, I'd rather put my time into trees that will benefit for my efforts and have a future verses dealing with eons worth of negligence.

Absolutely!, I am the guy the others call when they shake their head, often I find myself doing CRAZY removals that no one will do, backyard that have ravines, monsters with no access,etc! if they cant get a crane on it, it is undo able for them. Me, I have only used a crane once,normally never need one. I want a crane tho!, makes things faster! Which is fine, I get paid well, but like you said, rather put my time on something that will benefit, plus its a lot easier!
There are several corporate parks here, lots of hi-end condo developments. Looking to get on those, so I can help those trees before the landscapers touch them. I see these new medical parks going in, they have hundreds of trees, then I watch landscapers out there, jacking them all up. Drives me nuts!

work is picking up. Muscles are waking up. I've got saw chips flowing through the veins, and 2 cycle exhaust with the aroma of fresh cut wood opening up the airways. Actually got some sun yesterday, too.

Perfect combination. :msp_biggrin:

god, i love the smell of wood chips in the mornin

All in all work is picking up well. Mostly residential and most are referrals but I'm working on a big commercial job Weds. Last year was my best year to date and this year is starting out well. Looking forward to it that is for sure. I have to buy a new truck this year!!:msp_w00t:

Hey Sunrise, how's it going? I haven't been on here in quite some time. Are y'all calling illegal Mexicans "certain elements" these days. They are bad around here too....worse than I ever seen them. I held out for years hoping there would finally be some regulation put in this deal but I don't think it will ever happen during my working life. I probably won't fight the problem around here too much longer it's just not worth it. You are right, a lot of guys have quit the business over the last year or so. I used to gripe 20 years ago about the part timers and fly by nights. Now I realize how good I had it back then.

Hey, hey, man, how the heck are you? I look for your posts every time I get on here, and really miss them. What have you been up to? PM me if that'll work better, for you. Hope all is well. I've been looking for one-man work, lately. I can't afford a crew anymore, when five "certain elements" here will do a job for less than what I charge, solo.

Busy here in Denver. Haven't quite gotten to summer prices yet but, you work with what you've got. Those idiots with a pick up truck end up killing themselves or spending all their money on beer and going out of business...so don't lose faith!

Last edited:
We were looking good for a few

But then these d@#% winter storms come in and dump so much snow that nobody can move :cry:

Nothing like having work to do that you can't get to, and money to receive with nobody payin...

Oh well, I can just hope that this storm will do some damage that's bad enough to force people to hire us.

thats just not right hoping for bad weather, i am prying for nice weather so i can get some of my tree work done, its a lot easyer to do the trees with out the leafs on, its been to wet here to get in yards or dump areas .

i got one call in 2 weeks and thats for a 100.00 job.and when i got to his house it was 2 6inch limbs and a small jap maple that he wanted cut down and the limbs trimmed back.but i'm still wainting for the calls to start pouring in though

i got one call in 2 weeks and thats for a 100.00 job.and when i got to his house it was 2 6inch limbs and a small jap maple that he wanted cut down and the limbs trimmed back.but i'm still wainting for the calls to start pouring in though

Wow! How do you get by? That is serious sucky'ness!!!
Jeff :msp_smile:

well i do some odd jobs like mowing and suff like that but i'm hoping that work will pick up so i can get me some more saws to fix and get running LOL

Back