work stoppage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ValleyFirewood: Sounds expensive, not to mention the work involved.

Yeah my friend owns it, I work with him (his shop is where I cut firewood).

Couple years ago an undercarriage was priced out $48,000 for the machine, probably closer to $60,000 now.
That was track chain, pads, 2 sprockets, rollers and the 2 idlers. It's pretty much a John Deere 850 dozer undercarriage (or CAT D7) to give an idea of the size. Machine weighs 90,000lbs.

The idler is supposed to have 2 bushings and 2 seals with oil in the center section. At some point the seals failed and then it all went to hell in there. Not sure if it has to do with the spring breaking.
We took it out of service because the track adjuster had failed, which ended up being because of the spring.
I'm hoping it will be back in service for under $5k. We may have to do some "farm fixes"

Not out, but certainly, production is down. Unbeknownst to me the 4 way wedge had developed some stress cracks. I put a slightly goofy piece of locust in, slapped the levers forward and went to get the next chunk. Well, the 4 way slid almost all the way up and off the main wedge, and got cocked. That's when the 6" cylinder and high pressure side took over. I turned around just in time to see the 4 way get peeled like a ripe banana. It's been slow going with the single wedge ever since. I know....I'm spoiled

Back