Work Truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moss Man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this isn't exactly firewood related, but I think we share a bond here when it comes to heavy-duty trucks. I am considering the truck below at a dealer nearby. I had a 98 GMC that had the same drivetrain and it was a real solid truck for the little time I had it. It'd be an every day driver and I'd be putting a plow on for driveways.

Any opinions or experience to share is appreciated.

2000 CHEVROLET 2500 HD REG CAB 8FT BED 7.4

General
VIN: 1GCGK24J1YR127001
Stock #: 127001PD
Mileage: 72139
Engine: FI V-8
Exterior Color: GOLD
Interior Color: GREY
Warranty: See Dealer for Details
Price: $8995
Transmission: Automatic

Exterior 4WD
ABS
Full Size Spare
Headlights
Power Steering
Steel Wheels
Tail Lights
Tow Hitch Receiver
Tow Package

Interior Air Bags
Air Conditioning
AM/FM Radio
Bench Seating
Carpeting
CD Player
Center Arm Rest
Cloth Seating
Cup Holder
Door Map Pockets
Driver Side Airbags - SRS
Dual Air Conditioning
Dual Front Airbags - SRS
Intermittent Wipers
Map Lights
Multi-Adjustable Drivers Seat
Power Locks
Power Mirrors
Power Windows
Reclining Seats
Tachometer
Tilt Steering Wheel
Trip Computer

155_127001PD_1.jpg

nice truck gonna be a gas hog with the 454..ive always been a fan of the gm c/k series trucks...actully thats all ive owned...i like the pewter color too... low miles also id buy it try to get the price down tho that way you will feel like you got a great deal!

and thats way to nice of a truck for firewood...good luck :cheers:

Nice truck - like the low miles. For that kind of money you could probably get a diesel with a full size cab. It would likley have way more miles but if they are well maintained mechanically and oil sprayed every year they last a long time. My 02 Dodge has 175,000 miles and is still going strong.

I looked up the value the other day for mine. It was $6500 trade in value and around $10-12,000 retail.

Good luck !

It looks good, but the price seems high for a gas engine truck. If you drive much, the fuel cost is going to be killer too. I realize most on here don't drive 140 miles a day round trip like I do, but I have a little car for that.

I'd also look into a used diesel. They run longer (at least most do) and get better fuel mileage.... expecially the Dodge with Cummins. They are often in the 20s for MPG and run forever.

I always check out the auctions. I got my 2500 at the municipal auction 2 years ago it is a 97 standard cab, long box, diesel, full floating axle, needed nothing for a safety. It cost me $4000. Two days later they were getting a new aluminum dump insert for a truck at work. The company replacing it was just going to scrap the old (nothing wrong with it) steel one. Got that for free. Well actually the $40 I had in my wallet went to their lunch fund. Man that was a great week. The time I got my 020T for $110 and a 066 for $210 at the auction was pretty good too. I would look for a diesel for that kind of money.

Unless you do a lot of owing or drive a lot of mile stick with the gas motor. That 454 will last a long time. It will pull any weight that truck can safely handle. The 454 will cost a lot less to maintain and be a lot easier to start in those Maine winters. Looks like a nice truck but there are a lot of them out there in that price range. Take your time and you will find a good one if you haven't already.

Scott

Thanx guys.

I looked the truck over real good and drove it for a half hour. For a ten year old truck it wnet pretty good, but it seemed to wander a little when the road wasn't perfectly flat. The interior smelled like a cattle farm and while I have nothing against farming, the smell was a little overpowering.

The biggest negative was the owner of the lot, he was all about talking and nothing about listening. He said the wandering was normal because of the crown in the road! I felt like telling him I have been driving 34 years and have had at least 10 different heavy-duty trucks, but he wouldn't have heard me anyway.

I enjoy yhe shopping almost as much as the buying, so look on I will.

In talking with some of the locals that run diesels, the general theme seems to be that they are quite expensive to maintain and service. The 454 Vortec is the cat's meow, but the 350 Vortec is no slouch either.

I stick with the regular cabs, they have much better visibility when plowing.

Generally I like the late 90's GM 2500-3500 series.

i know what you mean about the standard cab for plowing makes a world of a difference...i plow with a 94 short bed chevy standard cab awesome for the tight spots...its a stick tho took a while to get used to plowin with it but it can move some snow and get around all sorts of stuff...i dont plow commercially just personal use...

good luck in the truck buying venture....:chainsaw:

Unless you do a lot of owing or drive a lot of mile stick with the gas motor. That 454 will last a long time. It will pull any weight that truck can safely handle. The 454 will cost a lot less to maintain and be a lot easier to start in those Maine winters. Looks like a nice truck but there are a lot of them out there in that price range. Take your time and you will find a good one if you haven't already.

Scott

+1. Diesel is nice, but they like to be worked. Repairs can be a killer as well. Unless you do a lot of heavy hauling, gas can be the better option.

If you are looking at the mid to late 90's chevy/gmc trucks, look on the front of the frame where the bumper brackets are which is also the plow push plates mount. Notorious rot spots. If there is already a plow on a truck of that vintage I would definately check that out.

I would bay it. Never again will i own another half ton or a 2wd. And its a HD thats a great truck for firewood i would own it and i am a Ford guy

I found another 2000 GMC locally, it had 40,000 miles on it and a 8.5' plow too. Black and fully loaded, one owner..........the first one to get there bought it...................I am bummed.

Dont overlook the 94-98.4 12 Valve Cummins. You can find them in that price range. I would look for a 5 speed if you can. I have no experience plowing but my 98.4 Cummins is a workhorse that has yet to let me down. I haul some serious loads (11k 5th wheel) and she is pushing 200k on the odometer. In extreme cold I plug it in but never have any problems starting. Good luck with your seach.

I am looking at this one tomorrow, I could sell my old one ton and the old half ton GMC's and just have this one do it all truck. I can put a plow and a dump body on it for firewood delivery, maybe just put a hoist on the body it has and run sideboards?

http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/1917283417.html

2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually 4WD - $10900
8.1 V8, Allyson transmission with towing package, std cab, ONLY 23000 MILES, looks and runs great, needs to be seen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3kb3o43l35T45U45R6a8o6e3abd9a9533120b.jpg

3kd3o23le5O25Q05P6a8o2c06947dc7ad1300.jpg

3o43p33l15V35Y25R0a8o9c548a337e5b1692.jpg

3n23p43lb5Y55Q05P0a8obde01a3caa9e1c1b.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Last edited:
Looks like a nice truck with low miles. I would look it over carefully as it appears it might have had some body work done to the bed. Maybe I am wrong but all the 4x4's I have seen have the 4x4 decal on the back rear fenders. Also the GMC emblem is in the wrong place on the tailgate and it is missing the sierra emblem on the left side. Maybe its nothing as they might have taken the decals off and put on a chevy tailgate. Good luck.

Looks like a nice truck with low miles. I would look it over carefully as it appears it might have had some body work done to the bed. Maybe I am wrong but all the 4x4's I have seen have the 4x4 decal on the back rear fenders. Also the GMC emblem is in the wrong place on the tailgate and it is missing the sierra emblem on the left side. Maybe its nothing as they might have taken the decals off and put on a chevy tailgate. Good luck.

You have a good eye. It has a repair title, new fenders and a grille from it going off the road. The owner insists it was repaired correctly. The price is right, but I'll go over it with a fine tooth comb. It's a work truck for me so I am not to worried about some cosmetic damage that happended 2 years ago, it has towed a couple large boats half way across the country since being repaired and logged 15,000 miles. I'll pop in tomorrow night and give the rest of the details.

Last edited:
Dual rear wheels are a little tough to plow with unless the plow is wider than the rear wheels. Also the new (99-07) body still trucks have a clunking problem in the steering shaft but not real pricey maybe 150 bucks to fix but can help you work the price.

I tried the beast out today, holy cow that 8.1 has some major power! The Allison transmission ain't no slouch either. I also spent about an hour rolling around underneath it looking for rust and damage from the accident it had been in. The underside looks fine, but the area where the grille meets the bumper is a little cosmetically challanged.

The rear end is a concern to me, it seems wider than a one ton that has a platform body or a dump. It measured 92" overall width, a full 6" wider than my friends 2009 3500 dump truck rear end. If I ever wanted to convert this truck over to a platform dump truck, I don't want the rear end being to wide.

Very comfortable truck, the only issue it has going down the road is that the front end seems loose for a truck with 23,000 miles.

The rear body is so large on the sides that mirror visibility is very limited and that might not be perfect for plowing snow.

I don't know yet................

If I wait a couple days someone else will own it and I won't have to worry!

I'd really like to have it though, it is a huse step up from the 87 GMC one tone I drive now.

duellys and diesels

I'd stay away from a duely for plowing snow or for off road traction. Great for hauling heavy loads like stock trailers and travel trailers, but your down force gets cut in half, so the tires have a lot harder time biting in.

For a plow truck, I would look at something older and cheaper. You're going to be out in the nastiest, most dangerous road conditions. It's your money though.

If you're going to get a diesel, the only one that I'd trust after 94 is Cummins. They build a great diesel. Prior to that, the Ford IDI engines were just plain hard to kill so long as you put the correct coolant additives in. Maintenace on a diesel isn't too bad, but you do use a lot more oil when it's time to change it. A diesel truck always come standard with ALL of the heavy duty componets (water pumps, starters, suspension, transmissions, axles, and two very heavy duty batteries). That's why they get a bad wrap for the repair costs. The componets are top end, so when they do finally wear out, they are more expensive to replace. The only other maintenace issue on a diesel is the fuel injection system. They are good for 100K to 150K, and then they need rebuilt or replaced. The older mechanical systems like the IDI and the pre 98 Cummins, the parts cost about $500 ish. Anything new than that is computer controlled and one individual injector can cost over $500. Thankfully those injectors can be rebuilt if they are not too far gone, but it still does get expensive.

Folks give diesels a bad wrap for starting in the winter, but that's hog wash. With fully functioning glow plugs, and good fuel, my truck can sit all night in the cold and start just fine when it's in the single digets even when I don't plug it in. I wired up a $20 industrial timer in my garage and control power to an outside outlet that I plug my block heater (standard on a diesel) in during the winter. When it's that cold, it's a good idea to plug in a gas engine too. The timer turns the outlet on about 3 hours before I leave in the morning, and it's always fine. They get a bad wrap for smell and smoke too, but that is heavily influenced by the engine timing and how heavy your foot is. The black smoke is unburnt fuel exhaust which is a complete waste, but some guys think it looks cool.

Truely, I can only think of two downsides to having a diesel engine in a truck. First is that it needs to be driven for some distance regularly. If you only drive 5 or 10 miles to work every day, then this probably won't make a good daily driver for you. If you drive 20 miles or more, then it will do fine. Some people think that you have to drive for a living in order to go with a diesel, but that's not the case. The engine just needs to run for a while on a regular basis. Just like any engine, a diesel will run better and last longer if it warms all the way up before you shut it down. The block is big and heavy and takes a while to get warmed up and dried out, so short trips are ligitimately harder on a diesel than on a gasser. It's also not good for a diesel engine to sit and not run for extended periods of time. The fuel is suseptable to various forms of bacteria growth, and if you get too much it will clog your fuel filter. Just like gas engines, if a diesel sits for extended periods various seals will start to dry out and leak. It has nothing to do with it being a diesel though.

The second draw back is a mixed blessing. The great thing about a diesel is it's torque curve. They peak out early and at a high value, and flatten out for a long time. My IDI peaks out at 1700rpm, and stays flat for a long, long time (don't remember the point where it starts to drop, but I think it's up around 2500 rpm). Diesels have such a long life span because over a given amount of time, they turn a lot fewer revolutions than a comperable gas engine. When I hit 3 grand on my IDI in 4th gear, I'm running close to 70, the engine is screaming (redline is 3800rpm), and I still have another gear to go. I generally shift between 2200 and 2500 depending on driving conditions. On a gas V8, 3 grand is about middle of the road, and 2000 rpm you're starting to lug a little bit. I don't start to lug until about 1200 rpm, but I'll idle through a small town in 5th gear at 1000 rpm and not down shift until I go to excel on my way out of town. Now the draw back to all of this is that when you're plowing, you really want to get your engine up over 1500 rpm to really get into the torque curve. Depending on your trany, your gear ratios, and your ground speed when you plow, you may have a hard time keeping well into the torque curve at low speeds. Most 6 speed tranys have a granny gear which would be helpfull. If not, you can find an old gear vendors under drive that can be added for about $1000 and that will give you all the flexability you need. Just sucks haveing to find, pay for, and install the darn thing to get the truck to do what you want. Another option there is to drop into 4 low wich will eliminate this issue completely.

The only other issue I can think of with a diesel is the initial investment in a new truck. THEY ARE EXPENSIVE!!! But, they already have all the HD upgrades, and they will litterally work hard day in and day out for hundreds of thousands of miles. It will do anything a 460 or 464 will do for twice as long on about 2/3 the fuel. So if you're going to make a living with a vehicle, whether its hauling, or just traveling a lot on service/sales calls, whether it's a car or a truck, a diesel engine is always worth the investment. For a home owner or farmer, you just have to evaluate your situation to determine if a used diesel will work well for your circumstances.

With the exeptions that I've mentioned, all trucks should be required to have a diesel engine. Gas engines are for pretty boy sissies :) Sorry, couldn't help myself.....

After moving to where I now drive 25 miles to work (instead of 4 at my last job - complete relocation), when my old truck was dieing I started doing a lot of research to decide what would replace it. I needed to drive it to work every day, take it hunting, and haul firewood with it, and have it last me another 10 years minimum. I would have like too have been able to afford a 97 or 98 Dodge ext cab with a 5spd and a cummins, but I didn't have $10K~$12K. So, my second choise was a 93 or 94 F250. I found a 93 F250 4x4 ext cab w/ 5spd in Florida with clean sheet metal and 160k miles for $4K. Only problems have been A) Bench seat makes it hard for my 2 1/2 yo daugher to fit into her child seat in the rear, and B) The PO lived at the end of a dirt road (sand) which flooded a lot, and they used the truck to get in and out whenever there was standing water. This ate out about everything in the front end (wheel bearings, ball joints, D50 front differential seals and then bearings, all the front U-Joints). Had I known this up front, I would have found a D60 front axle to put in it for $1K, but since I didn't I replaced a few things at a time as they failed, and I've got a little more than $1K into the repairs (they are complete now and that includes changing the rear ring and pinion out from a 4.10 to a 3.55). The truck also had 16.5 rims on it and those wide tires SUCK for traction (aka my displeasure for duel rear tires). Now that I'm back to stock size tires and rims, I'm very happy with it.

Well, that's my 2 bits and then some.

Mark

Thanx guys.

I looked the truck over real good and drove it for a half hour. For a ten year old truck it wnet pretty good, but it seemed to wander a little when the road wasn't perfectly flat. The interior smelled like a cattle farm and while I have nothing against farming, the smell was a little overpowering.

The biggest negative was the owner of the lot, he was all about talking and nothing about listening. He said the wandering was normal because of the crown in the road! I felt like telling him I have been driving 34 years and have had at least 10 different heavy-duty trucks, but he wouldn't have heard me anyway.

I enjoy yhe shopping almost as much as the buying, so look on I will.

In talking with some of the locals that run diesels, the general theme seems to be that they are quite expensive to maintain and service. The 454 Vortec is the cat's meow, but the 350 Vortec is no slouch either.

I stick with the regular cabs, they have much better visibility when plowing.

Generally I like the late 90's GM 2500-3500 series.
I hear ya. A couple years ago I was test driving new vehicles and my wife saw a dodge caravan she really liked. I popped the hood first thing and noticed it was a four cylinder - no f-ing way! The dealer said the four bangers have every bit as much power as the sixs and my wife is standing there nodding her head believing every word he said. I then pull the tranny dipstick out and it was sparkling with bits of metal. I told him this tranny is done for and he said it was a special additive they put in dodge vehicles. :biggrinbounce2:

Back