Working for F.E.M.A in Buffalo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diltree

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was recently Contacted by a very large company that works for fema, they want us to work for them as a sub-contractor removing damaged trees and limbs in the buffalo area, they requested as many 2 man bucket crews that we can send...no chippers. Does anyone have any experience working for Fema on storm clean up???? how does it work?? They sent us the rates we would receive, the items are listed in diameter categories for both tree/limb removal. Is there enough damage in buffalo to keep my crews going for 10 hr. days, and rack up enough items to make a considerable profit???

www.dillontree.com

The Northern Crews who work for me left last week, I hear its a mess. Talk to Boston Bull, the company he works for has done plenty of that kind of work in the past.

I used to work for a company that did the type work you're referring to. Unless things have changed, you will be able to make "considerable" profit. The criteria you're referring to needs to be followed to the letter and you will do fine. You might run into a situation that needs more attention as far as cutting but let the higher -ups decide that. Cut whats specified, no more , no less seemed to be the general idea. The big company you're referring to wouldn't be there if there wasn't "considerable" profit.
As far as the amount of work, you could get them to specify a certain dollar minimum and maximum and base you're decision on that. Good luck and be safe above all else. Sounds like you've been offered a good piece of the pie !

What all do they need up there? Clean up or just prune storm damage? Do they need just climbing crews?

Is it possible to get the information from the company making you the offer?

I went to Amherst last sat. I would say there is more than enough work their. It is by far the worst thing I have ever seen. We went into sub divisions and every tree was broke off. The roads all had a tree line on both sides and they were all broken off or hangers. I would say most tree were between 25 and 40 feet. I did not see any tall ones. I dont know why they dont want chippers. The sides of the roads are just littered with branches people dragged out of driveways and yards. Good luck:cheers:

Sure buff, I have received their pitch. still I need as much insight as possible before we sign any contracts and send crews all the way to buffalo; committing to paying for our employees food and lodging. I like to make educated and calculated business decisions and receiving insight from others experienced with fema work will only aid in my final decision.

www.dillontree.com

swamp, they are using trailer dumps w/ prentice loaders for clean up, they just want us to take out broken limbs, hangers and trees that have been deemed completely unsafe or to badly damaged to recover. We were just asked to provide two man bucket crews to remove damaged limbs and damaged trees. Swamp how many weeks/months worth of work would you estimate.

www.dillontree.com

Anyone looking for a hand?I have a truck and chipper and i'm only 3 hours away.I do this part time for my self and I do have a full time job that I would take some time away from.

I am in Depew a suburb of Buffalo it is a mess here, I will just give you what they are saying on the local news. Clean up will take months, they dont want chippers because they are trucking everything to local yards and tub grinding everything. In the city (Buffalo) there are alot maybe 80% of the trees damaged it is called the city of trees, very old and big. Amherst is a newer suburb so hence the smaller trees. They are already over $150 million just in debris removal estimates so I would say it might be worth coming. I only do firewood so I have been just salvaging downed Oaks and Ashes in the city.

Jay

I dont know how many 2 man crews they have working but if I had to guess I would say it will take 2/4 months on trees alone but that is hard to say because we were in on small section. The thread down the page some (anyone busy in buff.) check that out. I think jonsredbred might be worth sending a pm. They might have a little better dig on whats going on. I just went down 1 day.

I just got off of the phone with one of my buddies who is working on the storm clean up for F.E.M.A. He says that just about every tree is damaged in one way or another. His crew is basically pulling hangers and leaving the brush in piles on the street (no chippers).

The biggest problem is all of the guys are sick and tired of living out of a flea-bag motel.

Just an Update, We decided that the rates were too low for us too commit any crews to buffalo, we just are not big enough of a company to tie up two of our crews and risk making less then we can make here in our backyard. Maybe next time we can get a better deal...who knows

www.dillontree.com

DB & BIL live in Amherst, mom & dad are in Clarence. DB owns a dump trailer and tried to hire it out for hauling brush. Every town he called said they're using out-of-town crews for their work. There's something wrong when you use out of town help instead of hiring and funding the local economy.

Yes it's bad. The conifers survived the best but the hardwoods were hard hit. Mom lost her pear trees & DB lost a locust. Mom's oaks lost some 5-6" branches but her neighbor had 2 trees that lost a 15" limb from each tree. DB & I cut them up for firewood for his shop. They split off pretty bad, I don't know if the trees will survive. Every tree on BIL's street was hard hit & the street is down to one lane.

is it worth bringing the stump grinder to Buffalo

I AM thinking about sending the stump grinder, Rayco Rg Super-50 to Buffalo for a few weeks, until Thanksgiving. I work in Philly, and would think it is less than a 6 hour ride, which is good. I won't go myself as things are too busy here... Any thought you have about the stump grinding market, pricing, advertising, housing etcc are appreciated. Post here or pm or email me.
Thanks in advance for the support.

unorganized

Some of the guys I know are back. They are complaining that no one knows WTF is going on. There are safety inspectors telling them they have to stay 10 ft away from phone lines! They have no way of getting their laundry done and have trouble getting their food allowances.

Most of these guys worked the big ice storm in Maine a few years back and said that that was a well organized operation, but Buffalo is for s#!t.

Come on up I've got plenty of work!

Come on up I've got plenty of work!

Line your trucks up. (I'll tell you what you need - you do want a contract don't you?)

Don't worry about all the expense of getting there - everyone's making a killing!

We'll find a flea bag room for you too!

Work your @ss off.

Put up with FEMA inspectors and don't forget your prime contractor inspector.

You'll need a load of signs and proper equipment.

Spend all your money on so called contracts.

Gez almost forgot There will be a 10% hold-back.

Not so fast: You just damaged my yard, broke my sprinkler, patio,
phone line, sewer line, electric line and ETC.

Oh, I'm sorry you want to get paid too? When????

Just for the folks who Did not go to the Gulf Coast!!!

Yeah - I like working for free!!!

Of course not everyone got scre@ed; mostly small contractors.

Did you believe the Gov't was going to stand up for the little guy!!!

just-my-two=cents

SPIKE

and I might add it's probably going to start snowing alot, like it always does. Spring would be the time to rack it in imo.

I helped clean up after '98 ice storm (upstate NY) for fema for six months. Working in the snow sucked! Fema hired hundreds of $8.50/hr folks and got inmates out on the road sides. Tub grinder was on hand. The big tree services (like asplundger) got the city/town contracts for the removal/clean ups. Hackedy hacking up the trees, I got to post the pics. Local small time/part time tree guys made out best, and became local big time/full time tree guys after this storm.

Latest posts

Back