Would I be crazy to buy this?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrGriz

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I've been researching what to buy for a new firewood saw to run with my little Poulan 2075C. I ran across a deal at Home Depot on their used rental saws, which are Makita DCS6401. That should be a Dolmar 6400 in a green dress if I'm on the right track.

They sell them after two years of service for $205 with a 20" bar and chain. My first thought was no way, not one of those overworked, abused saws. But I found out that they can look up the rental history on each saw and tell you how many times it's been rented and for how many days. They also show how many days it was out of service for repair and how much they spent on repairs. One of the ones I looked up the history on was in service for 18 months and had only been rented for a total of 5 days.

That is starting to seem like a pretty good deal. Also, I think the bottom end of that saw is the same as the 7900. Does that mean that I can swap out the piston and jug and basically turn this saw into a 7900?

I can see how this could get out of hand really fast :biggrinbounce2:

OMG! Yes!
Scott says it too with great advice!

Sheesh thats not even broken in yet (unless there be 50hrs in a day) ---iyiyiiyiyiiyiyyiyyyiiiyyiiyi! :clap:

Check for cracks, the break works,the compression by hang test, and run like heck, give 'er a real good and thorough clean (including both tanks as who knows how long stuff sat in there) check the filters, spark, fill it up, and, GTG to work!

:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

:cheers: (well, I'd do it anyway, hmm)

Last edited:
The one I bought was rented 20 times and in great shape. I'm more than happy and intend to turn it into a Dolmkita 79 zero zero ...

Back