Would I be Crazy to Trade?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

indiansprings

Firewood Purveyor
Reaction score
Since finding a good 044, I have fell in love with this size of saw.
Would you think it would be crazy to trade a really nice clean late model 660 for a clean 440 or really sharp 044? The 660 is dead stock with the exception of a MM. I think for my use the 044/440 will do anything I need to do.
Is it a reasonable trade, saw for saw straight across?

Since finding a good 044, I have fell in love with this size of saw.
Would you think it would be crazy to trade a really nice clean late model 660 for a clean 440 or really sharp 044? The 660 is dead stock with the exception of a MM. I think for my use the 044/440 will do anything I need to do.
Is it a reasonable trade, saw for saw straight across?

All depends what you're doing imho. "worth" is totally up to the user. If you are never going to use the power of the 066 why not "downgrade" to an 044 in better shape?

I have a good, clean 084 that Ive been thinking of moving for a good 70-75cc saw but just cant come to grips with losing 122cc of raw power just yet :p lol.

Understand the reluctance to give up the juice. The longest bar we've ever run on this saw is a 32" and that has been only twice, the majority of it's life it's only run a 20 and 25" bar, never really used the saw up to it's potential.

a good 660 is worth a lot more than a 440. A GOOD solid used 441 would be a fairer trade, or a 460 in identical condition. I personally would trade my 441 for a 660 of equal shape and condition. Hell.. i'd probably throw in a LITTLE boot :)

If your only running a 20-25" bar than I would make the trade. The 044 is lighter than the 066 and sounds like it fits all of your needs.

It would be hard to trade down power. But if you've only had the need to run a 32" on your 660 twice a 044/440 will do that for you easily.

Understand the reluctance to give up the juice. The longest bar we've ever run on this saw is a 32" and that has been only twice, the majority of it's life it's only run a 20 and 25" bar, never really used the saw up to it's potential.

Well and thats my problem too. Its nice to 'have' the power, but Im honestly never going to NEED it. I doubt there's any trees within a 50 mile radius of my home that I couldnt cut with an 044. lol.

But its just so tough to let them go! :p

I can see making that trade if you find a mint 044/440. If you don't run over a 20" bar most of the time you'll never miss the weight of the 660.

Well and thats my problem too. Its nice to 'have' the power, but Im honestly never going to NEED it. I doubt there's any trees within a 50 mile radius of my home that I couldnt cut with an 044. lol.

But its just so tough to let them go! :p

I coudl see you not wanting rid of that saw. You don't have a 70-90cc saw in your lineup.

You are not supposed to let them go. Keep the 660 and save up for another 440. That is why it's called CAD, what were you thinking.

You do realize that the minute you trade off the big saw, you will need it.

:agree2: That sounds like my luck. JMO, If the 660 is just sittin around doing nothing, why not trade it for something you would use. Its up to you, but if it were mine id have to keep it. :D :D

Randymac you're slipping today. No 6 cubes or go home. Man what's the world coming to?:confused:

I say trade if you can find a good saw that's not been beat to death and rebuilt.

For what it's worth I had a low hr. 660, like not even 1 hr. runtime. Loved it but ran a 36" bar. Very uncomfortable for me. I use my saw to fell and limb with. I thought the 36" bar would be great for simply walking down the tree not having to bend over to limb, but the beetle pines around here have limbs everywhere and a 660 with a 36" bar is not the saw to hold overhead to limb with. I guess I am a wimp but it would tire me out pretty quick. I sold my beloved 660 and went with a 2 saw combo of a super clean 026 Pro and a MS460 25" bar. I have not used them much but I am happy with the combo. Not many giant redwoods here in North GA to need that 36" bar :monkey: BTW: I got close to new price on the 660 when I sold it.:cheers:

I just traded a pretty clean 660 on a 372 and a few odds and ends. I have other big saws and to be honest, doing tree work here in PA, they often sit unused. Now a good 70cc saw like an 044, that seems to me like a very useful saw.

Shoot guys, I'm right at 50 and it's been a rough 50. I never thought I'd say it but the weight of a 660 is getting to be a real load. I can't tote it like I used too.
I'm still able to manage the 044 for a reasonable time.
The only problem with the 044/440 is finding a decent one to trade for. I looked for over a year before finding the one I have now, almost all of them in these parts have been absolutely used to death and then some.

It's sad that because of silly govt regulations Stihl gave up mfg these saws.
I'll bet they could make a limited run of these, say 3500-4000 and sell them in a couple of months, just to satisfy the guys who now how good they really are.
I think I 'll start looking.

I think if I were you, I would look to sell the 660 then buy the saw you want. I believe you would come out better that way. They will fetch a good price on Ebay.
If you do look to trade it, be sure you get what you need to get out of the trade. A 660 is about 300 dollars more than a 440/441/460.

a good 660 is worth a lot more than a 440. A GOOD solid used 441 would be a fairer trade, or a 460 in identical condition. I personally would trade my 441 for a 660 of equal shape and condition. Hell.. i'd probably throw in a LITTLE boot :)

I don't understand this statement but I'd trade a 441/460 for a 440 in a second.:bowdown: The 440 just has it all...

For the OP, sounds like the trade will work out for you fine. I have a 660 but don't use it near as much as the 044. I have thought about selling it but it is more of a "want" than need.

Randymac you're slipping today. No 6 cubes or go home. Man what's the world coming to?:confused:

I say trade if you can find a good saw that's not been beat to death and rebuilt.

Sorry about that, didn't mean to disappoint you, 6 hours sleep in the last 48.
Besides a 660 is plenty big for most guys.

picture.php

I think I will hang on to this one....:)

Latest posts

Back