Would this tree be a candidate for bracing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So then you are saying you cant see ever taking care of any trees, ever cause that scenario is likely for any of them. The main difference is the targets in the area which increase the risk to it. If its an area where there are lots of people then the people are the target and then the playing field changes 180 degrees.

No, that situation is not likely for a healthy mature tree with a single trunk, properly pruned with well spaced scaffold branches and zero dead wood. But a tree like this that's cracked right into the ground with about a 100% chance of some basal rot is likely to fail at any time. Deep root fertilizing and dynamic cabling of sound trees is fine. But don't go spending all the customers budget on something like this. That type of tree surgery work is meant for historically significant trees that people just can't live without. If every arborist was like you we would only have a bunch of junk over mature trees in our urban forests costing the public a fortune to maintain, constanly failing and causing catastrophic damage and giving arborists a bad name in the process. Whether you like it or not trees need to be constantly culled replaced in the urban forest to maintain a good age structure and its your job as an arborist to encourage that. The real truth is many of these trees that you "care" for are going to fail in the next 15 or so years because they should of been replaced in the first place. Where as in that same time frame in the spot where the people you call "hacks" removed that liability there will be a nice properly pruned and cared for maturing tree adding value to the property and nobody's shed had to get smashed in the process.

Geeze, I'm retired, I'm supposed to be home in the middle of the day. What the heck are you doing home playing on the computer. I thought I stated quite clearly why a target really doesn't matter. There is a chance that a human might be under that tree at any given moment, like the moment that tree comes down. Why do you through up, "I guess you never try to save a tree". Of course I'd try to save lots of trees. A single trunk tree with lesser damage. In other words, a tree that was a good candidate of survival. Not a triple trunk tree that has already started to fail.

Now, as I stated, I was the 4th, of a four generation tree care business. My Dad got a license the first year it was required in MD. I just spent an hour digging through old stuff of my Dads. MD Tree Expert License, Issued Feb, 4th, 1974 license #216, 1st Jan, 1975#79, 1st, Jan, 1977 #98, 1st, Jan 1980 #48, and it remained #48 through 1984. His ISA membership # was 1457. The only reason I have this info was I have my Dads wallet from when he died, and the cards were in it. Today I looked for my license certificate, and all I found was the receipt from when I took the test on Wed, April 7th, 1999. Now I guess I'll have to dig around some more. Being a family owned business all this stuff was kept on file at my parents house. Dad died in 2004. When mom moved the last time she through out all the old filing cabinets. Dad's first license was not the one in 74, that's just the oldest card in the wallet he was carrying. Yes I have more Documents on my Dad than on me. Do you want me to dig up more?

Now that I've humbled my family and self for some entity on the internet, as someone else asked, what's your CT Tree Care license #, Joe.

No, that situation is not likely for a healthy mature tree with a single trunk, properly pruned with well spaced scaffold branches and zero dead wood. But a tree like this that's cracked right into the ground with about a 100% chance of some basal rot is likely to fail at any time. Deep root fertilizing and dynamic cabling of sound trees is fine. But don't go spending all the customers budget on something like this. That type of tree surgery work is meant for historically significant trees that people just can't live without. If every arborist was like you we would only have a bunch of junk over mature trees in our urban forests costing the public a fortune to maintain, constanly failing and causing catastrophic damage and giving arborists a bad name in the process. Whether you like it or not trees need to be constantly culled replaced in the urban forest to maintain a good age structure and its your job as an arborist to encourage that. The real truth is many of these trees that you "care" for are going to fail in the next 15 or so years because they should of been replaced in the first place. Where as in that same time frame in the spot where the people you call "hacks" removed that liability there will be a nice properly pruned and cared for maturing tree adding value to the property and nobody's shed had to get smashed in the process.

Well I respectively disagree, there are plenty of Trees worthy of saving and keeping safe that are not only single trunk specimens. Especially when the customer has more value to their tree than a tree cutting hacker. I dont see cared for trees constantly failing anywere again your a pessimist on the issue. I never intended for any of this to create such a roar of insults. I do not come on to a site intending to insult any one. You guys took it wrong and brought it on. I tried to stay professional about it, but your insults were deliberate. My words of choice were to add anothers views on it. I dont have time to waste anymore on this crap with some of you. I have much better positive things to do with my time. again I like the fellowship of discussion but Im not going to stay here and keep trying to explain. I take down a huge amount of trees, I also listen to the customer when they have sentimental value and want something that can be done other than the answers from unlicensed tree hacking Ax men can do. by saying that, that does not mean Im talking about YOU, in general for those who fit the profile. There is a bit I agree with you on. enough said.

Pelorus, ask yourself this question, do you take care of your body for a certain time and then you dont have too? Trees need some help to stay healthy if they just are there and we continue to put them in challenging soils and area's doing nothing is not the answer, doing what we know helps trees is another tool in your box to help your clients and expand your knowledge. Dont know what canada soils are like, but here it has been stripped of many of it's organic matter and creates alot of challenging health scenarios for Arborists.

I don't know, but I reckon a fertilizer / chemical / snake oil salesperson would say that every tree on the face of this planet could benefit from getting periodic doses of their products. I know that when I took our beagle pup to the vet for her first set of shots, the vet was promoting regularly brushing her teeth with a special dog toothpaste. And I'm like: "It ain't gonna happen." Hopefully her unbrushed teeth will last as long as the rest of her does.

So, Goose, what'cha gonna do with that tree?

Tree is slated for removal. I can not see the root system holding with the severity of those cracks. Getting rid of a problem before its a bigger problem. I have been studying my property, have about $10,000 worth of work in my own back yard, the codominant stemmed tree is losing at least one stem that faces my barn. I could leave the other two to see how long they last, they will fall into the woods, out of harms way. I found another tree yesterday that needs removal. This tree looks bad and I found out why, the trunk is 85% hollow at the base, leaning over the pool house.:msp_mad:

Back