Would this work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gumneck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
JB Weld on a broken bar adjusting tab, where the adjusting screw actuallly goes thru the hole on the casing. (sorry if confusing) Looks like previous owner didn't keep correct tension on chain. Just a guess.

I'm sure the material is some kind of cast metal or magnesium. Now for the bad news, its a craftsman. :dizzy: But it runs well, a top handle and light, good while up in the tree.

I searched the site and found an interesting post on welding magnesiun.

How about a pic?? Is it the male adjustment piece that actually goes thru the bar that you are referring to that has the JB weld?

Not the male

piece that goes thru the bar but where the adjusting screw goes thru a hole in the side of the casing. Then the little tab your talking about runs along the screw.

Imagine now that rather than a hole for screw to run thru, there outer side of casing cracked off so screw has no hole.

A screw with no hole is pointless. You gotta have some hole, right. Not just a big opening.

tks for reply,
Sorry about above, its late and I'm beat.

top handle

Show a pic, I have a red top handle Craftsman 2.0/14" and a grey and black 2.3/16" out in the garage that have been sitting for a number of years. Ran when I set them on the shelf. If it looks like yours I'll send them to you for the shipping fee. Given to me for cutting trees but I have other saws I prefer. I need to see a pic. A little better discription is neeeded other than Craftsman, all metal, chain tensioner through the case.

Epoxy might work but you don't have to have it. Loosen the bar nuts and pull out the bar until the slack is out of the chain. Hold tight and retighten the bar nuts. Having the adjuster there helps minimize the slack sometimes generated by a kickback but under normal circumstances it is irrelevant.

I'll try to post some pics. I'm having a cpu issue with the driver for my fuji camera right now.Hope to get that fixed tomorrow.
Anyway, model no of saw is 358 355 060

Tks again for replies.

Parts saws

I have a model 358 355 051, black & gray, Craftsman. Parts should be interchangable. The oiler & sprocket are shot on the Black and Gray one. The red one, older model, most parts are interchangable, these are coming to you as parts saws and will be disassembled to ship. If you want them PM me your address and I'll Fedex them your way, shipping is around $15.

How much is a new chain adj assembly. In baileys they are 4.95 for husky saws. Go to sears and see what they want. Yes I have used saws with broken chain adjusters. It is too much of an annoance for a 5$ part.

Another suggestion is to fab and drill a peice of 1" x 1/8" plate to cover the original screw hole and epoxy it to the original casing. But as Stumper said it's not a big issue if you know how to work around it.

Jamie

Well, I've never tried running one without the adjuster, in fact never gave it a thought. I'll try it for the helluva it.

Still would like to have it right just because I can't leave well enough alone.
**Also, Geo.. I'll get back with you pm regarding your offer. I'm checking to see if casing numbers for model no. you gave me match mine.

Tks all.

Geofore, the rt. side casing numbers do match up for the saw model no. you gave me. Looks like the handles and mounts are only differences in the saws. This saw has the anti vibe handle.

If you dont mind let me mull it over on the saws. I need more saws like I need more pine cones in my yard.

You might look at the sprocket cover, on some Poulan models, they have a
slot for the bar tensioner there as well, you might have to drill a hole though.

old saws

Gumneck, I'll send you the right and left side covers. Jimc emailed me about the engine and other saw. He wants the cylinder, piston and crank. I told Jimc I'd send him the other saw for his collection and the engine from the one I'm taking apart to send you the side covers. Someone else got the flywheel. I have a 510 Mac for parts If anyone wants it you can have it for shipping costs. If I find any more old saws at the other shop I post them here for parts saws. The wife was right I probably had more saws than she has shoes. Jeezes, how'd that happen?? :dizzy: I'll try to get these out tonight or tomorrow. Maybe she'll let me call DozerDan again once all the old saws are gone and I have an empty space in the garage for more. Wives, ya got to love them. Oops, time to get ready, Vaintines Day, today.

Posting pics with dial up is slooooooooooooooooooowww.

The repair has held for aprox. 2 hours of limbing use. I put a washer behind screw to help spread the load.

Placed a wire in there a little smaller than screw. Made sure it went thru the other side of tab too. Then used a drill/n/bit little bigger than wire but smaller than screw. Than ran screw into it.

Built it up in there in 2 separate days about 1/2 each day. Dont know if that makes a difference or not, just what I did. I've repaired alot of surfboards, broken in half, tails ripped off, fins gone, gashes, gouges etc, and fiberglass works better in building up layers. I sort of felt that may help with the epoxy too.

Remember my camera driver issue. I worked around it. Gave up on trying to install the win2000 driver for my fuji and today found this gadget called a 6n1 card reader. It downloads so much faster than they would off the camera. Supposedly saves wear n tear on camera. Definately would save batteries. $29.99 at office max. Probably could have found cheaper.

Latest posts

Back