Would you climb this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahaha..

Maybe NC got into LXT's stash of Red Bull! :hmm3grin2orange:

No way i'm no where near as bad as that guy.

I misunderstood his post. I gave him my opinion, I thought he was saying it wasn't good enough for him with the "clouded" statement. I didn't realize he was talking about himself, my bag. i'm battling a nasty cold right now so im a little short tempered sorry for the shrude attitude. My gf is about ready to kill me, she been telling me I need to come to yoga with her so I can center myself:msp_cool:

Then go ahead and climb then:dizzy: What the hell do ya mean clouded. You ask for an opinion and you got one. If you cant make that decision base on being there in person then obviously your not experience enough to know. How the hell do you expect people on here to give you the absolute best advice from a bunch of pics. Clouded!!! Yeah I sure would want lots of money to climb than SOB its not worth it. So I guess im clouded:msp_cursing:

Bro, i'm still not clear on how you really feel about the situation!

Bro, i'm still not clear on how you really feel about the situation!

What wasn't I clear about...I said I wouldn't climb that tree it's too risky. All these guys on here saying they'd climb it is bad and irresposible advice. No one can look at that picture and say it's safe to climb beyond a reasonable doubt. I would hate to see TreeAce get hurt going upon what people are saying on here. It would be a different story if we were all there looking at that tree in person.

This my opinion and TreeAce doesn't have to heed to my advice just hope it works out for him. Stay safe and don't be a hero.

I hope this has answered your question ducati.

What wasn't I clear about...I said I wouldn't climb that tree it's too risky. All these guys on here saying they'd climb it is bad and irresposible advice. No one can look at that picture and say it's safe to climb beyond a reasonable doubt. I would hate to see TreeAce get hurt going upon what people are saying on here. It would be a different story if we were all there looking at that tree in person.

This my opinion and TreeAce doesn't have to heed to my advice just hope it works out for him. Stay safe and don't be a hero.

I hope this has answered your question ducati.

It's a shame there isn't a "sarcasm" font to choose from on here... I was roasting you bro... All good....

Hey ducati their is only a few people on AS who's opinions I value you and respect, most of which don't even post here anymore. It's hard to tell who's got your back and who's got a knife to it. It's a shame cause their isn't many places to go to socialize with real arborists anymore.

Hey ducati their is only a few people on AS who's opinions I value you and respect, most of which don't even post here anymore. It's hard to tell who's got your back and who's got a knife to it. It's a shame cause their isn't many places to go to socialize with real arborists anymore.

You sound paranoid NC. Nobody has any knives.. really! :msp_sneaky:

You're right... For what it's worth, last week in the 101 forum this fool was asking how to direction cut/drop limbs over a friggin power line. No one thought to tell him not to learn those types of cuts over the power until I chimed in! They were just telling him how to do it.... Absurd.

Who to listen to and what to listen for...

During my college yrs., we had a wise and quiet student-instructor named Russ Nickel who had so much patience with us gung-ho undergrads. You could ask Russ a question and he'd grin and look at you and say,"let a word to the wise be sufficient". How many times I have used his saying the past 50 years.

In these forums I've noticed we get some silly questions, some inexperienced answers and maybe even some dumb looks. The not-so-famous comedian Bob Duback often used this quip: Butt...who nose? as he'd switch to another joke. So we just go with the flow and keep trying to help each other.
Man, I hope TreeAce is successful with that tree bid project. It'll be interesting to see how it works out and comes down.

I would climb it. Like Natewood said. throw a line and tie it on the opposite side to counter your weight. Then throw a second line to the furthest point you'll be climbing and pull on the tree. Have two people pull it. If the tree takes it, you are good to go. Looks like a healthy wood that would most likely support at least 1000 lb.

Thats smart ... Put a guy line on it and hand throw it , i wouldn't run any ropes off of it , but those silver maples are pretty light.... But thats me don't take my word from it I am looking at pics of your tree..I agree with MDS that tree is no weaker now as when it had the other side attached ...

Last edited:
If you did get and something went wrong its your name on the job. The home owner and neighbors will tell people so and so droped a tree on the house. Chances are nothing would happen. It looks like it would be less than 800., it might be better to move on down the road to the next job.

Ummm I thin the bigger picture is if the tree drops theres gonna be a climber attached to it ... So who gives a #### about the house when theres a climber hurt , but in this case I think he will be fine to climb high and cut small ...

I climb those all the tim. Thow a line inn the crotch and counter tie it and spend as little time as possible in it. heck i might even give you a price on what I want to do it for you lol!

that's how I do em. And I could talk my way right onto the neighbor's property too. Well, that don't always work but I would put it in there anyway and say it was mistake and the cops would be on my side.

Last edited:
Isn't this tree branch the same strength as it was with the other half up. And the way everyone would of climb this tree would of been climb up to center, tie in and rope, cut off branches. Chances are that when going out on this limb you probably wouldn't of been going out with all your weight in your rope. So what's the diff? Tree work is inherently dangerous with calculated risks. But hard to tell by some pic's. Use your judgement. It always boils down to it's your life do what you want with it.

I agree with putting guy lines up would think that would be key for what ever approach you would make. Cant tell from the pics I know it looks like its leaning pretty good but not much weight, throwing two pull lines in it and bringing it over onto the rest of that broken mess could be an option. Again its hard to tell from pics either way be safe and remember that @## neighbor will prob complain about saw dust on his drive so make sure you bid high. Also if you are giving the bid to the ho explain to them the risks and the kind of hacks that are out there and what could happen its usually there choice on who does the work. Win the bid in part with your knowledge.

I have been contacted by the insurance agent and she is killing me with pricing everything seperate. How much to get tree off fence , how much to clean up brush, how much to trim damaged tree , how much cut damaged tree down, how much to clean up damaged tree if cut down, how much to clean up brush on other side of fence , how much to RAKE on other side of fence....HOW MUCH TO RAKE UP!?! She is dead serious. I have been trying to emphaze the importance of dealing with the tree that is a clear danger but she seems to be more worried about the tree laying on the fence. The HO's daughter,whom I have been dealing with, agrees that it is OBV important ..BUT..she is waiting because she is under the impression her moms (HO) insurance will cover the removal. I told the HO to take her dog out in the FRONT yard for awhile, LOL....she agreed.

The "damaged" tree i refered to is the tree that the other piece fell into. Not the tree that is half standing.

Last edited:
Is the tree in the backyard? In the original post you mentioned neighbors garage and I guess I just naturaly assumed the garage was in the front of the house. If the tree is in the backyard then yea, disregard my post unless the HO doesn't mind you felling a tree onto their home. I was kinda wondered why you couldn't just throw some mats down in the front yard and get a bucket truck to it.

After reading all the other post, I'm still kinda iffy on it. I've done trees that looked like that in the past and felt pretty confident in them once I take some weight off them, but I don't climb as much anymore so I can't say that I would, plus that one looks a little thinner in the split area then one's I've done.
I'm curious to see what route you take. Be carefull and goodluck.

Last edited:
I have been contacted by the insurance agent and she is killing me with pricing everything seperate. How much to get tree off fence , how much to clean up brush, how much to trim damaged tree , how much cut damaged tree down, how much to clean up damaged tree if cut down, how much to clean up brush on other side of fence , how much to RAKE on other side of fence...

The insurance company is making you chop it all up so that they can pay their customer less. They are going to only pay for certain parts of the job, and then stick it their customer.

You should expect that they will probably only pay for removing the broken components that are on valuable property (probably not the neighbor's, either), perhaps the insureds lawn, possibly only cutting down the tree safely. Hence the separate price to remove from the fence. It all depends on how the fine print is worded in the homeowners insurance policy, and how their adjusters can get away with interpreting the fine print.

Several times I have done work for insurance bids; they were always carefully worded as to how much was hazardous removal, how much was cleanup, etc. Typically, they decline to pay for removal and disposal.

One time, they only paid us to remove the tree from on top the house. onto the house from the neighbor's property, yet we were prohibited from throwing the wood back on to the neighbors abandoned lot. They did not pay for the disposal, either. Needless to say, the bulk of our bid was for removing the uprooted, leaning tree from on top the house.

They don't want to tell you why they are breaking it down into pieces, nor what parts they are going to decline, because they know you will bump up estimate for the covered components to minimize the homeowners personal expense on the job.

Last edited:
same thing a midget hooker once told me.......if you have to ask........

Back