Would you climb this?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The new photo shows why a crane job is not applicable.

The only problem with that is if it does come over with the "rope test" I will look like an idiot. Although it is def better to look bad that way VS looking bad "rider down" style. I am VERY worried about free falling anything here. It is just to close to nieghbors garage. I am pretty good at dropping things to land flat but somtimes they still go alittle brush first and then bounce back towards the tree. If that happens it will likely hit garage. Hitting garage is out of the question. They wont even let anyone use driveway (so I hear) God forbid U so much as scrath that garage. I would DEF walk away before I free fall anything I cant get a good grip on and pitch out. If I get this job I am leaning towards "guy lines" off back side of tree. Atleast two..prolly 3. Then rope off small what I cant FORSURE hold onto and pitch. I have done before what I call "light n easy" roping. Mostly stuff no bigger than my forearm and I us an over head rope as much as I can. I also mostly would use my silky on these cuts. Kinda let it "peel over" without an under cut. I can do this with little or no shock.

Here is a picture of the driveway that I am told we CANNOT use. The tree is right off the left corner of nieghbors garage. There is def room under the tree but there is also a rather large lilac that you cant see and Iam sure they dont want trashed. But remember..atleast for me..free fall is a no go because I am to close to garage. I personally wont do it.
1. No place to set a crane except HO's yard. 2. The grey house is too tall. 3. N'br's driveway cannot be used even though the solution could work there. Keep thinkin' yall!

Not my problem. If it was, I would have figured it out.
Jeff :)

You can do better than that Jeff:msp_smile:. It isnt my problem ethier cuz I dont have the job. If I get it then its my baby and I will figure it out. Safely. Believe that.

Jeff after the Metamucil kicked in.

Crazy-Old-Man-Viking-Helmet-752960.jpg

Hard to say just from pics

I hate these kinds of removals. Without seeing it in person, I'd have to say be don't climb above that damage. If, in your opinion you can stabilize the stem with some guy lines, I would still toss a line up high so I could top-rope small pieces out without a shock load. You'd probably see me doing a bunch of pole saw work to lighten the load and for positioning my lowering line.
Could you tip tie some of the lower limbs then lift them? I would run the lines back against the lean for any pulling/lowering, that's for sure.
Don't let cheap customer make you take risks. No money is worth being seriously injured or worse, dieing.

On another note, don't listen to any of these guys saying that the lead is as sturdy as it was before the other lead ripped off. The other lead was attached and contributing to the overall structure of the tree. You have lost the strong cylinder shape and now have a flat surface where it is more likely to experience major failure.
Prove it to yourself: find a large branch with a co-dominant style secondary branch coming off. Give it a good flex below the union and note how much it resists. Now rip the co-dom back replicating the tree failure. Once it's lost the co-dom, flex it in the same spot and notice how much easier it is to bend.

It's really hard for me to judge by pics... Yes, I have climbed and rigged trees like that... To be honest I have never walked away from a split out like that, I have always found a way to do the ones I have been presented with. I have tied into remote trees to do a couple of them. I hate to tell someone to do something on here when I haven't seen it in person to evaluate. I have always been a good judge of what will hold me and what I can rig from but you usually only get one chance to make a mistake like that. If you don't think it will support you then by all means find another way to do it or walk.

Drive by

I finally had time to do a drive by on this tree. It is still standing. Looked like someone cut what was already on the ground and stuck in other tree. It was STILL THERE but cut up alittle. I assume it was taken off of the fence so the fence could be fixed. I never heard anything from Insurance company or HO.

Disclaimer: From the photos I can't see what you see.

I'd say yes I'd climb if everything is crash and burn to the ground. Would consider bore cutting when taking the top. Would be extra careful for pealing and sharp edges on cambium that would lacerate a rope or lanyard. If rigging.....well, don't think I would while attached to the tree myself.

Just my first instinct.

Find out if it will hold you.

One way to safely find out if it will hold you is to get a rope up where you want to tie in ( throw weight, ladder and polesaw?) and then put your weight on the rope while you are on the ground. If it supports you on the ground, it will support you in the air.
Rob

One way to safely find out if it will hold you is to get a rope up where you want to tie in ( throw weight, ladder and polesaw?) and then put your weight on the rope while you are on the ground. If it supports you on the ground, it will support you in the air.
Rob

With a severely altered tree you do not want to immediately go to a "bounce test". What do you do if it does crack at the defect? The best method is to put the throw-line in and gently put pressure on to observe where the moment of bend is. It is only when the bending moment is in the defect area that I become very concerned.

With a severely altered tree you do not want to immediately go to a "bounce test". What do you do if it does crack at the defect? The best method is to put the throw-line in and gently put pressure on to observe where the moment of bend is. It is only when the bending moment is in the defect area that I become very concerned.

Can you imagine what the HO and the neighbors would say about you if they saw you test it by 'bouncing', and it came down? Had a large severely storm damaged Black Cherry in an impossible spot to crane or lift/bucket access. Went up it about 60+ feet, tied in and lost my stones. Came down and did some test pulls. It was cracking and popping with every pull. At the time I really thought it was going to snap. Actually walked away. Gotta call from the HOA. The resident was home and saw us and heard me blabbin' about how the thing was ready to come down. We caught hell , and we werent about to lose a 15k contract in the middle of January over 1 tree, so I had to grow a pair and hit it again. Told the roper to burn the first shot all the way down. After the first shot, I saw what the thing could hold and lost all fear and kicked the #### out of it. But before that first rope shot, to this day, I have never been so scared in my life. :rock:

Last edited:

Good to call it a bounce test. I'm not saying pull the tree down but the tree would give you warning if the "bounce" was going to break it. I've been at it over 40 years and haven't had one I couldn't do. That's not to say there isn't an impossible job, but I have done this kind of work 40 years and have never lost a days work due to an on the job injury and never had a claim on my insurance. I like to do what I know is going to work. Safety is paramount. I hear you about moment of bend. I'd also listen real close. I don't want to get hurt and I sure don't want anyone else to get hurt. I hope this site is about helping one another.

Rob

Couldn't be worse than getting thrown 10 feet into the air and KOed by a sprung hickory. Even though I went 10 feet up, I fell close to 20, landing on a skid road. After some water and letting the vision return it was back to work as usual.
So go climb that little thing, maple is strong wood, if it stood tall with a few hundred lbs of ice on it, it will hold long enough to get up there and lop off a branch or two. The wood is probably not even frozen now so you have even more strength. . .

Couldn't be worse than getting thrown 10 feet into the air and KOed by a sprung hickory. Even though I went 10 feet up, I fell close to 20, landing on a skid road. After some water and letting the vision return it was back to work as usual.
So go climb that little thing, maple is strong wood, if it stood tall with a few hundred lbs of ice on it, it will hold long enough to get up there and lop off a branch or two. The wood is probably not even frozen now so you have even more strength. . .

Well, nobody ever accused loggers of being the most intelligent thing in the woods! :cheers:

Yea, when you deal with hundreds of trees every day, eventually one or two will get one over on you.

Regardless, with an attitude like you've displayed in your last 3 posts, theres a reason it happened to you. Look up reckless and careless in the dictionary, be mindfull and notice that they are 2 very differnt meanings. I'll let you decide wich you are.

Back