Would you hire....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's one way to look at it but there are many guys who can't afford a guy like me fulltime.

I hear ya! its one of the reasons i started my own gig.Oh and the fact I dont have to do unethical work anymore since I'm not their employee....

I think mkeetree is bitter for some reason... Maybe he can't afford a contract climber? Or maybe he's so scared of "competitors" that he doesn't even realize how beneficial and profitable that scenario can be....

I personally work as a contract climber for about thirty companies in my area even though I run my own show. They love to have me (if I'm available), and give me work in the winter when I cant find enough. I also have a reputation of being extremely honest and not ripping jobs so even though i own my own co they are confident in having me on the job.

i'll hire guys who try to do their own gig and fail/ cant make a living with it bc they have a respect for the business side of things.If they are honest people with integrity of course.

So you run two crews, and still sub for thirty companies? That is pretty impressive... you a busy dude! :cheers:

So you run two crews, and still sub for thirty companies? That is pretty impressive... you a busy dude! :cheers:

of course I'm busy and of course those thirty companies don't get much of my time. Only for the stuff they cant do. Since i run a crew, I try to incorperate my guys in when I climb( ie bring a roper/ groundie)also it makes it safer and more comfortable for me.It also makes sure I can keep my guys busy all the time so its a win win for me and the other companies. I do the jobs they cant do, they fill the holes in my calender.

Never thought I'd find every pessemist/naysayer on this site for defending subs and sideshows.
We all started somewhere and most of us in business for ourselves did sidework at one point in time or another to test the waters and see if we could(or wanted) to venture out on our own

What does a website have to do with anything? I just put a half a** one up to see if it was worth investing time or money into. I'm guessing thats your way of taking a shot at me or calling me out?
Marshall's Tree Service Specializes in Tree Removals and Advance Tree Care and Removal, Mulches, and Soild Needs. Located in Rochester Marshall's Services Rochester and the Surrounding Communites in Monroe County.

YUP! That is what I am doing! Gotta problem with that?
Jeff

Id talk to him before I made my mind up. You never know the circumstances.

I have a guy helping me now thats self employed. There's not much work going on around here in the excavating business. He does his dozing on the weekends and helps me through the week. He can run anything you put him on so it works out pretty well. Everybody's making money. Of course he could make more running his dozer full time, but its hard to do if you don't have the work.

YUP! That is what I am doing! Gotta problem with that?
Jeff

Nope! kinda used to your style by now- anyone who does things different than you is wrong or a liar or some other negative term. An opinion is one thing but no need to be negative or condescending. We have guys up here like that, too busy poking their nose up every ones a*s that they can't figure out how to get theirs to make money!
But its funny, I barely hear of your gig. Where's your website , what kind of position/company do you hold?

of course I'm busy and of course those thirty companies don't get much of my time. Only for the stuff they cant do. Since i run a crew, I try to incorperate my guys in when I climb( ie bring a roper/ groundie)also it makes it safer and more comfortable for me.It also makes sure I can keep my guys busy all the time so its a win win for me and the other companies. I do the jobs they cant do, they fill the holes in my calender.

Never thought I'd find every pessemist/naysayer on this site for defending subs and sideshows.
We all started somewhere and most of us in business for ourselves did sidework at one point in time or another to test the waters and see if we could(or wanted) to venture out on our own

I just find it hard to imagine that there are thirty companies within a reasonable traveling distance from you, that are so gay that they don't have anybody that can climb their trees, and would lower themselves to call in the owner of another biz to do it for them. I mean, what are you doing that's so special their own guys can't do it? Thirty??

I just find it hard to imagine that there are thirty companies within a reasonable traveling distance from you, that are so gay that they don't have anybody that can climb their trees, and would lower themselves to call in the owner of another biz to do it for them. I mean, what are you doing that's so special their own guys can't do it? Thirty??

There are over three hundred tree companies in my area- this is how I respond to an oversaturated market

Last edited:
I live in a town of about 45,000 that has 30-35 "tree services" in the phone book. Only 2 climb. Me and one other guy and I only get climbing referrals from one of the other companies when they can't do it. The others would rather turn down the work and no one make money than sub and make a lil.

I live in a town of about 45,000 that has 30-35 "tree services" in the phone book. Only 2 climb. Me and one other guy and I only get climbing referrals from one of the other companies when they can't do it. The others would rather turn down the work and no one make money than sub and make a lil.

I live in a town where we have crackheads doing massive crane jobs. Lots of tree climbers here (compared to what you're sayin about your area)... they might suck and be scary to the trained eye, but they get it done evidently. Good ones too, for that matter.

Latest posts

Back