Would you like chainsaws if they didn't make noise?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's those BIG silent dogs that just watch you that are kinda scary!!

We have one and it's great to watch how people react:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:

What if your chainsaw was completely noiseless. Would you like to run it?

Try watching Nascar sometime with the volume turned off. :)

Really not much difference to me, but the sound of a loud saw kinda drowns out the ringing in my ears.:laugh:
I wear ear plug's now, but it bothers me because it seems to make the ringing louder.:dizzy:

Andy

YES!

Except it would make it tempting to do things like take the Barbie Saw into the official wilderness areas, and easier for cedar and music wood thieves, but then people trying to find easy wood to cut would not hear my saw when I'm working on roads and come and bother.

BUMP

Hey you guys hafta read the article in the previous post. There is a device called the Mosquito, that emits sound at 17 kiloHertz, which is only audible to those under age 22 or so. Kids under 12 don't mind it because they have not yet grown these little hairs in their inner ears, that vibrate in the presence of this sound. So apartment owners and others install these $1500 devices that drive teenagers crazy and makes them wanna be elsewhere. SO, I downloaded the free ringtone (kids use it to keep their parents from hearing their cell phones ringing), installed it on iTunes, set it to repeat, and I actually have a homemade Mosquito. I had some girls come the room in after school today, and it works! They HATE it! You see, I work with young people who are in detention, often because they have done BAAAAAD things. They are way too cool and hip to actually respond positively to adult authority, unless they like that adult.....most of them actually like me:monkey: and actually I really do like them...well at least most of them..it takes a certain kind of knucklehead........lets just leave it at that, they are very important to me.

"Uhh, we better do what he says, man. He just started the chainsaw..I think he means business.....":)

SO I have one more thing in my arsenal now. BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! Actually I think they will get a kick out of this. So will you if you read the article........:greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
It really works.

The ringtone is nuts though. I still take some classes and when the phone rings with it....alot of people freak out.

Fred

BUMP

Hey you guys hafta read the article in the previous post. There is a device called the Mosquito, that emits sound at 17 kiloHertz, which is only audible to those under age 22 or so. Kids under 12 don't mind it because they have not yet grown these little hairs in their inner ears, that vibrate in the presence of this sound. So apartment owners and others install these $1500 devices that drive teenagers crazy and makes them wanna be elsewhere. SO, I downloaded the free ringtone (kids use it to keep their parents from hearing their cell phones ringing), installed it on iTunes, set it to repeat, and I actually have a homemade Mosquito. I had some girls come the room in after school today, and it works! They HATE it! You see, I work with young people who are in detention, often because they have done BAAAAAD things. They are way too cool and hip to actually respond positively to adult authority, unless they like that adult.....most of them actually like me:monkey: and actually I really do like them...well at least most of them..it takes a certain kind of knucklehead........lets just leave it at that, they are very important to me.

"Uhh, we better do what he says, man. He just started the chainsaw..I think he means business.....":)

SO I have one more thing in my arsenal now. BUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! Actually I think they will get a kick out of this. So will you if you read the article........:greenchainsaw:

Some city's are installing these devices over here at places where young people hang around much and cause trouble. It seems to work but youth gangs just relocate to other places. But that's only working for the nicer youngsters ; in brussels we have area's where north african gangs of youngsters are terrorising the entire neighbourhood, even police is scared to go there. It's time that instead of installing all these fake electronics, it would be good to reinstall the good old school discipline told by previous generations and put them to hard labour.

Some city's are installing these devices over here at places where young people hang around much and cause trouble. It seems to work but youth gangs just relocate to other places. But that's only working for the nicer youngsters ; in brussels we have area's where north african gangs of youngsters are terrorising the entire neighbourhood, even police is scared to go there. It's time that instead of installing all these fake electronics, it would be good to reinstall the good old school discipline told by previous generations and put them to hard labour.

I agree completely! However, society and the family have both been gutted, at least here in the USA, and the youth are not being guided and disciplined properly.

I posted this whole thing for entertainment purposes.....tho it's not really funny, it's really quite sad. My sense of humor is a bit wacky, believe me I know this, and I hope this is taken in that spirit..........

I like them old loud big bore saws. Depends on your disposition... the low throaty growl of an old saw in a deep cut is soothing. You can tell alot of what's going on in the cut by the vibrations ringing in your head. Is it just me??
Bet you never crank your head when a Vespa scooter pass on by, but you give yourself whiplash when a Fat-Boy Hog comes cruising down the drag:jawdrop:

+1! I just dig the idling - the no1 spot for that's an old V8 - any, just so long as it doesn't have a decent muffler and is made in USA...

I like noise too

I often slip out into the shop and start up one of the McCullochs just to get that rattle in my chest and a little blue haze in the air. If it did not make noise and curious odors, I would almost certainly lose interest.

Mark

P.S. I almost always wear hearing protection, even when running a router in wood or the angle grinder, even the disc sander or ROS. Seems easier to concentrate on the work if you're not cringing because of the noise.

Quiet saws....? I'd take one in a heartbeat just to see what cutting was like without all the noise. I'd still want the rest of the crew to have noisy saws, though. That way I could make sure they were staying busy just by listening.:)

Would you like to be able to hear birds, frogs, and crickets while cutting wood? :)
Actually, I would like to hear the birds, frogs and crickets while cutting wood. And I'd like to hear what the saw is doing in the wood, not the engine noise. I want to hear the chippers ripping through the wood, to know when it slows on knots and dead wood, and I want to hear the bounce when the depth gauges need trimming. Quietly.

Whatever happened to the much touted noise cancelling devices that were supposed to be put on all noise making appliances from blenders and vacuum cleaners to lawn mowers and chain saws?

I have always used ear muffs when using any power tool from saws and vacuums to generators, heavy equipment and tractors. I keep four pair of muffs handy around the house and shop all the time. Several years ago I started using both ear plugs and ear muffs for shooting high power rifle and pistol competition. Now I try to use both with the chain saws.

I like BMW motorcycles and I'd really like to have a quiet chainsaw.

Shhhhhh......:chainsaw:

Actually, I would like to hear the birds, frogs and crickets while cutting wood. And I'd like to hear what the saw is doing in the wood, not the engine noise. I want to hear the chippers ripping through the wood, to know when it slows on knots and dead wood, and I want to hear the bounce when the depth gauges need trimming. Quietly.

Whatever happened to the much touted noise cancelling devices that were supposed to be put on all noise making appliances from blenders and vacuum cleaners to lawn mowers and chain saws?

I have always used ear muffs when using any power tool from saws and vacuums to generators, heavy equipment and tractors. I keep four pair of muffs handy around the house and shop all the time. Several years ago I started using both ear plugs and ear muffs for shooting high power rifle and pistol competition. Now I try to use both with the chain saws.

I like BMW motorcycles and I'd really like to have a quiet chainsaw.

Shhhhhh......:chainsaw:

+1 on the Shhhhhh.

guess we all need those 'bose quiet comfort' noise cancelling ear muffs.
wonder if they also work on the wife and kid?!?

guess we all need those 'bose quiet comfort' noise cancelling ear muffs.
wonder if they also work on the wife and kid?!?
Today 03:35 AM

Confirm. wife and kid will not hear you anymore when wearing them.

:)

Back