Would you pay 250 for used 036 Pro?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtie

Gearhead
Reaction score
I found a used 036 Pro with a burnt 20 inch bar and what appeared to be an oregon chain at a Stihl/Echo/Husky dealer in Emporia Kansas. The saw had just been traded in, and had no price sticker on it. Also it appeared to have a new or newer cylinder, and the smaller opening side vent muffler. I offered 150 for starters. Ended up at 190, and they ended up going down to only 225. I told them to go to hell, and told them thats why they had a pile of trade in saws they cant sell. I did fire up the saw, and it ran well.

Not unless it was my best friend's and I knew it had been meticulously cared for.

Paid $100 for mine, same story

I paid $100 and felt like I did well. Love the saw, easy to work on and plenty of parts. When you say burnt bar, I had a problem that other people have had in that the oil line was ruptured just above the spigot on the way to the bar. Andy helped me through that one, but $225 even seems a little steep, unless you really know the place. Especially if it is rebuilt, do you know who rebuilt it? Personally, it's my favorite saw, and I run .325 with 16 and 20 inch bars on it.

Jason

$250 for a decent 036-pro is a good price. They sell for $375+ all day long here, and your option is $600 for a new 361.

I found a used 036 Pro with a burnt 20 inch bar and what appeared to be an oregon chain at a Stihl/Echo/Husky dealer in Emporia Kansas. The saw had just been traded in, and had no price sticker on it. Also it appeared to have a new or newer cylinder, and the smaller opening side vent muffler. I offered 150 for starters. Ended up at 190, and they ended up going down to only 225. I told them to go to hell, and told them thats why they had a pile of trade in saws they cant sell. I did fire up the saw, and it ran well.

Same deal here, Dealer had an 029 as I recall, no bar and chain, but it did run well, looked rough as a cob. Had a cracked filter cover...he wanted 200 CASH.

I looked and he had a whole mess of used saws ranging from Big to small, in no better than "Decent" condition....none cheaper than 100, running or not.

Its absurd. Tell em where to go...if they want used saws that bad, they can keep em!

Hey Red -and 029 is not an 036-pro..

I BUY them for $200, clean up if required, warranty them for 60 days, then resell them for $375. Can't keep them in stock..

And Red, you attitude will change 180 degrees if you get into the business, and from your other thread, you appear to want to..

Last edited:
Or you could buy it and sell it

Or you could buy it and sell it, but as I sasid before, it really has become my favorite saw. If they balk at $200, offer them $201. It's worked for the Price is Right, who knows you could get lucky... And who doesn't like getting lucky?:)

Jason

Hey Red -and 029 is not an 036-pro..

I BUY them for $200, clean up if required, warranty them for 60 days, then resell them for $375. Can't keep them in stock..

And Red, you attitude will change 180 degrees if you get into the business, and from your other thread, you appear to want to..

See thats the thing, I dont remember if it was an 029. This was well over a year ago. I had 2 044's and an 066 that were in for repair, I got acquainted with the local dealer.

I get used stuff too, but I keep it for parts. Most of the things I get are worth more as parts, than as a complete running machine.

Prices for used saws around here tend to run a little lower, but a Stihl anything, new or used, will command more than any other saw in comparable size and condition.

I paid 200 for a used 029 in fairly good shape awhile back, and considered it a deal. I would guess that an 036 Pro in decent shape would fetch 250 without trying hard, and 3 bills would not be out of line if real clean.

Red seems to have a bit of Stihl hate going after his episode with the rep eh?

Chuck

I guess my brand new 036 pro in the box for four bills was a deal then? That was about five years ago. Yes, it came from a dealer.

Prices for used saws around here tend to run a little lower, but a Stihl anything, new or used, will command more than any other saw in comparable size and condition.

I paid 200 for a used 029 in fairly good shape awhile back, and considered it a deal. I would guess that an 036 Pro in decent shape would fetch 250 without trying hard, and 3 bills would not be out of line if real clean.

Red seems to have a bit of Stihl hate going after his episode with the rep eh?

Chuck

Not at all, its just that they had a saw that looked bad, no bar and chain, cracked filter cover...for 200 dollars. Throw in a bar, or a chain...its a deal, but to just plop a dirty old barless/chainless saw on the counter and say "it runs, 200 dollars CASH" just didnt sit well with me. I guess you had to see the saw..Think alternating layers of grunge, sap, and oil, all over the thing.

I have ran 036s. What got me was that the washer that holds the sprocket on kept getting poked off by brush, then the bearings and race would go, end of the day for that saw, next. The Stihl dealer was always happy to replace everthing, again and again (I was working for a company, I would have used a Husky for that work, little trees under powerlines). I got talkng to a guy at a Stihl dealer/parts/logging supply store out of town, this guy showed me the proper dished washer to eliminate that problem. Pretty lame about the first dealer in my opinion. Anyways, not a bad saw, not a pro model 034, but ok.

Red-

I was pokin a little fun at ya buddy based on a couple of posts you made lately, and the running debate in your thread. No harm meant.

You are absolutely correct in stating that one would have to see the saw in question, and if a grunge pot, would probably have passed myself.

Chuck

Last edited:
You could run your finger across any part of the saw an fill up a fingernail in less than a half inch.

Thick crap, but it ran well...Would have had to soak the whole saw in gasolene to cut the crud off it. And if the outside looked like hell, I can only imagine what the inside looked like...bet you couldnt have seen the coil with the recoil off...

I paid 250 for one, but the guy never sent me the saw, I got screwed. Wish I knew someone in Ohio that knows Nate Clevenz.

$250 for a clean one that ran good would be typical around here. $300.00 with a new bar and chain. Fairly common second hand saw at the various dealers. No warranties ever.

What made me nervous was the new cylinder. Who knows if the previous owner had a bad seal, burnt up the slug and jug, and decided to trade it in. Then, the bar was all blued from heat. They dont even clean any of their used stuff. I passed. This same store has a 025 with no bar, powerhead only, for 300 bucks, and its rough. I'm done there, I will go elsewhere from now on.

What made me nervous was the new cylinder. Who knows if the previous owner had a bad seal, burnt up the slug and jug, and decided to trade it in. Then, the bar was all blued from heat. They dont even clean any of their used stuff. I passed. This same store has a 025 with no bar, powerhead only, for 300 bucks, and its rough. I'm done there, I will go elsewhere from now on.

I wouldn't care at all about the new cylinder. In fact, that GREAT!!! Blued bar - that's just an idiot running without oil and pressing hard on a dull chain. Just grind the bar.

Back