Would you recommend new 353 or 550xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peacehbu

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the general consensus on small limbing/ saws
Iv been offered a brand new 353 without warranty 40% cheaper then 550xp mark 2 which comes with 5y warranty.

I understand that 550 has autotune so would add to service costs. What about reliability and manuverability?

Any advice much appreciated

I have a353 that I bought used, and a 550XP mark 1. I would probably give the 550 a slight edge, but it is a little bit slower to “wake up, and settle in” from a cold start. I haven’t run or owned a 550XP mk2.

I love both the 353 and 550, would buy either again. The 40% discount would probably be the deciding factor for me.

Unless they changed it, Husky’s warranty was 2 years, extendable to 4 years, if you buy 3 cans of the Husky premix fuel, ON THE SAME RECEIPT, that is specifically stated so don’t miss that.

No doubt the warranty/extended warranty would be nice, but I have NEVER needed the warranty on any of my Huskies, but it is possible that you could need it

If I was offered a NIB 353, at a 40% discount, I would be VERY TEMPTED, even though (and because) I already have one. I have other uses for the funds right now, but NIB 353’s are getting fewer and further between any more

Either would be an excellent saw, but the 353 would be awful tempting at that discount

Doug

I don't have a 353 but I did just buy a 550 MK2 and it's a great saw. Plenty of power, very smooth and handles really nice. At the price you're getting, it would be hard to walk away from the 353. You really can't go wrong either way. The 3 series Huskies have been around a long time and are well proven. Just an FYI about the warranty, when you register it with Husqvarna (if you choose the 550) they give you the option to purchase an extended warranty. No need to spend money on canned fuel if you don't need it.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

What is the general consensus on small limbing/ saws
Iv been offered a brand new 353 without warranty 40% cheaper then 550xp mark 2 which comes with 5y warranty.

I understand that 550 has autotune so would add to service costs. What about reliability and manuverability?

Any advice much appreciated
You haven't really given much info on what the saw would be used for, what other saws you have, or how much cutting you plan to do and if it is for profit or just a bit of firewood, do you plan to do your own repairs, if not do you have a dealer close to you that can help with the auto-tune if needed, do you know how to tune a saw, that info helps as far as advise goes.
The 353 is a great saw without the auto-tune and really doesn't need a warranty, especially if you plan on doing your own work on it. It's also nice that it can be upgraded to a 346 without much work, but with a muffler mod and a base gasket delete you can get a good bit more power if desired as well, but even in sock form they cut well if you have more time on your hands than money. I'm not a big fan of the cheesy little chain tensioner on the 353/346, but a clutch cover from a 455 will fix that. The 353 is a very durable saw with nice power for price point and even though it's older parts are very available both new and used on the net.
The 550mk2 is a good bit heavier(but handles well) and more of a one saw plan in my mind. It does have some great features not found on the 353, flippy caps, nice side tensioner, return to run on the master switch, great av and air filtration, a fuel view window to see how much is left, they get great fuel economy, and they tune themselves for optimal power/fuel econ so you don't have to. The 550 does a great job running an 18" bar and will run a 20" just fine if you are not used to a faster saw.

There is a huge dealer in Florida that does a sale a couple times a year on another site similar to this(only with far less advertising). Brand new mk iis for less than $500 to your door. Something to consider. Not allowed to say the name here but you get the idea.
I’m not a member of that forum, just AS and FHC(Firewood Hoarders Club), but I have bought some bars and other bits and parts from them

Most of my more recent saw purchases have been online through D&D Farm Supply’s ebay store, they are in Arcadia, WI, and have given me Great prices and service, I would recommend them without hesitation

Robinwood, is the only one that I know of that has any NIB 353’s available, and I’m not sure if he has any left. I have read of many members having Excellent Experiences dealing with Robin, the only less than stellar experience I have heard of was a shipping issue beyond his control. From the reports on here from many members, I would buy from Robin just not the right deals at the right times yet. His deals on the 353 and 372XP OE, we’re tempting, but I already have a 353, 550, and the Wife has a 445, pretty well have the 50cc’s covered, and have a 372XP (XT) and a 372XPW, so…………..

Doug

I own both and they are great saws, but the 550 Mk ll is a bit heavy for a 50cc saw. I live in Colorado and work in big temp swings and altitude changes up to as much as 10,000 feet ASL. For that reason I really love Autotune saws. OTOH if I worked primarily in a narrow range of environmental conditions I would definitely go with the 353.

Thank you for all your replies. As mentioned saw is for limbing only as i use a 24" ported 262xp for most of my felling and yes i do all my own maintenance. Weight, price and repairs seem to be pointing towards 353.
I bought a new 440 last week but it seems like a toy and im not expecting it to last. Chain guard got ripped out on second use so probably going to get a 353 while i can still get hold of one.
I chose the 440 over 550 on reccomendation and without too much research. Deciding factor being weight and didnt realize it was a clamshell. 550 seemed too close to 262xp in weight.

Im in New Zealand and here warranty is 2yeard extended to 5y if you buy 1l 2stroke and 5l chail oil with your saw.

Thank you for all your replies. As mentioned saw is for limbing only as i use a 24" ported 262xp for most of my felling and yes i do all my own maintenance. Weight, price and repairs seem to be pointing towards 353.
I bought a new 440 last week but it seems like a toy and im not expecting it to last. Chain guard got ripped out on second use so probably going to get a 353 while i can still get hold of one.
I chose the 440 over 550 on reccomendation and without too much research. Deciding factor being weight and didnt realize it was a clamshell. 550 seemed too close to 262xp in weight.

Im in New Zealand and here warranty is 2yeard extended to 5y if you buy 1l 2stroke and 5l chail oil with your saw.

I missed that you are in NZ, different warranty promos there

You should be Happy with either saw, but the 353 should do everything that you are expecting of it, and more. The 353 is a Robust and Reliable Saw.

Doug

Latest posts

Back