Would you replace these clutch shoes?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewire

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This is a pic of my MS660's clutch.
Looks to me like hot spots at about the center of all three shoes.
Does it look like these would need replaced?

660clutch.jpg

I found a complete kit for $50.00 on ebay (from cheapstihlparts....guy should be a sponsor on AS) if I have to replace anything I'd like to at least get new springs as well.

What do you all think?

Those shoes look perfectly fine to me...it looks like it has some heat discoloration, but the spring holes aren't slotted or oblong at all so I'd just replace the springs if needed. Is there play in the shoes? Just curious on why you think the springs need to be replaced. By looking at the picture there appears to be good tension on the springs and even spacing between the shoes.

Last edited:
Is there play in the shoes?

Not really. It takes a little pressure to move 'em

Just curious on why you think the springs need to be replaced. By looking at the picture there appears to be good tension on the springs and even spacing between the shoes.

Replacing the springs would just be a precautionary measure on my part. In other words, I'd only replace them if I had to replace the shoes.

My main concern is the "bluing" of the shoes and whether or not that will cause a problem.....

Thanks!

Don't think I would worry about the shoes.......springs, if chain isn't
trying to turn at idle, I would leave them alone.....but they are only about
$5 or so for the set. How does the drum look?

I would be more worried about what caused the hot spots. Right now it does not look like serious damage, but I would not want to continue heating it up like that.

I would pull the clutch and look at the wear surfaces. Same with the drum. I also look at the spring holes for wear. Springs are cheap and easy to change if your clutch is dragging.

Don't think I would worry about the shoes.......springs, if chain isn't
trying to turn at idle, I would leave them alone.....but they are only about
$5 or so for the set. How does the drum look?

Thanks Gary!

The drum's a little worn but not too bad (not blued).....just normal wear.

The chain doesn't run at idle so I'm sure the springs are fine but at $5.00 a set why not replace 'em along with the shoes while I'm at it?

Thanks for the input guys!

Thanks Gary!

The drum's a little worn but not too bad (not blued).....just normal wear.

The chain doesn't run at idle so I'm sure the springs are fine but at $5.00 a set why not replace 'em along with the shoes while I'm at it?

Thanks for the input guys!

If there is some play in the shoes or the drum is turning at idle i would replace the springs...take the $50 you were going to spend on shoes and buy your kid, nephew or niece, grandkids, etc. a nice xmas present ;).

...take the $50 you were going to spend on shoes and buy your kid, nephew or niece, grandkids, etc. a nice xmas present ;).

hmmmmmmmmmmm......good advice! I think the daughter needs an 084!!!! :D

(Hey I'm derailing my own thread.....geez!)

Thanks for the input guys. Is there anything in particular I should look for to cause that kind of isolated heat build up on the shoes?

I understand that I can get by without replacing them, but if that kind of "wear" is abnormal what should I look for to correct it?

The two biggest things that wear on clutch shoes is the padding part (lack of a better name) will start to get thin and uneven, severe grooving in the padding part, or the spring holes will become elongated. If these areas are fine then they are good to go imo.

Last edited:

Thanks for the input guys. Is there anything in particular I should look for to cause that kind of isolated heat build up on the shoes?

I understand that I can get by without replacing them, but if that kind of "wear" is abnormal what should I look for to correct it?
If you can find two 084's for $50 each let me know...i'd like to have one too ;).

Not really. It takes a little pressure to move 'em

Replacing the springs would just be a precautionary measure on my part. In other words, I'd only replace them if I had to replace the shoes.

My main concern is the "bluing" of the shoes and whether or not that will cause a problem.....

Thanks!

I usually just remove the clutch take some good 320 sand paper clean the outer shoe surface,,, clean the inner clutch drum,,,inspect and clean/grease drum bearing,,,,clean/ degrease behind the clutch and all the crud around the brake band, remove inspect the worm/oilpump drive,,,then reassemble,,,you were given good advice given about the spring tension and holes on the shoes....if they are snug and dont wobble or rattle when idling,,, I'd run em!!!! check the retainers on the carrier if you pull the clutch to clean,,, and make sure none are broken or cracked on the backside of the clutch

Make sure you pay attention to the direction of the steel washer, it has an offset that should face out board!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: if you go that far cleaning!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Imo the heat is caused by slipping. Maybe high idle with the brake on, or low rpm when starting the cut?

Steve - with all your 66/660's you must have some real rough clutch shoes laying around. You should post some pics if you do have some?

Steve - with all your 66/660's you must have some real rough clutch shoes laying around. You should post some pics if you do have some?

Im in for the nite ....Its getting cold out and have wood to cut in morning....

I'll look and see tomorrow what I have sitting around........

Latest posts

Back