Would you say wood heat is GREEN?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I submitted my memo today,and to my supprise he divided us into groups of 4. None of us had the same Idea but all of our proposals had to do with the outdoors. We were instructed to either pick the best idea ,or combine all our efforts and create another business all together! Needlessly to say no one was comfortable developing a feasible firewood, solar panel, hunting superstore,and a camp for troubled teenagers lol. Not unless you felt comfortable giving underage felons access to chain saws and firearms lol.

So I simply stated the facts and let them decide,and wouldn't you know they picked my idea! We agreed on the name Fallen Energy
Heres my memo.

DATE: Monday, September 27, 2010
TO: Mr. Vert
SUBJECT: Business Grant

On September 21st, I learned of an opportunity to apply for a grant to enable my desire to own and operate my own business in this area. My plan is to graduate from your alma mater, Zane State College, at the end of Summer Quarter, 2011 with an Associates degree in Business Management/Marketing.

The business that I would like to start is an often overlooked option in home heating: wood heating. Wood heat is still used in todays market. Many homes heat solely with wood, and save a considerable amount of money every winter. Our family has heated our entire home safely, efficiently, and comfortably for under $100 per year for the past 12 years. Many people spend 2-3 times that a month during the coldest times of the year.

As someone who believes in conservation, I make it a practice to never cut down a healthy tree. Instead, I have contacts that own acres of trees that are already down, either from storms or some other means, and they depend on me to come cut, haul, and clean up. Currently, there are several Amish sawmills nearby that are happy to allow me to have all of their scraps.

The business that I would like to start is a firewood service. The reduction in monthly bills, and dependency on electric, gas, and propane would drastically decline in those who used my services. The amount of time needed to bring this business to a realization and then to full production is under 2 weeks due to the extensive amount of experience I have. Currently, I have offers from homeowners, who hear of the success other people have with firewood, to buy my surplus by the dump truck-load.

This business has the opportunity to be both successful for my family, and also serve the homeowners of our community in a way that is environmentally friendly.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I'd like to thank everyone on this thread for the help and suggestions. He told us today that he wants us to turn it into a business with promotions,marketing,logistics,and equipment..etc. Im happy I went with something I actually know something about!

very nice. if you plan to put any of this to practice, let us know, i'm about 30 minutes from zanesville, i usually end up buying wood near the end of the season.

That sounds like an excellent project! One thing you could include in a proposal would be some sort of effort to educate the local and surrounding communities. My town sponsors "green seminars" and they never talk about the benefits of wood heat. People show up in their Prius and talk about the solar panels they just put on their 8,000 square foot house but most of them have no idea that wood heat is "green". You don't have to be wealthy to utilize this source of renewable energy either. Any discussion of the benefits of wood heat must include stove efficiency. Many people don't realize how far stove technology has advanced in efficiency and emissions, and virtually no one (none of the laymen) is aware of the genius of the "masonry heater". It might be worth explaining the masonry heaters to local developers and see if they could reinforce sections of their foundations so future owners would at least have the option of installing one. Developers are cashing in on the "green movement" so they might be receptive to the idea. Good luck with your project and share with us as you learn.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back