Wow, this guy gets mangled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had Hurricane Juan hit here in 2003 and there was a large number of homeowners who ended up in the hospital. All the saw shops quickly sold out of small saws and then the hospitals got busy. People were cutting themselves,falling out of trees it was unbelievable.

The cause of the injury is actually a common error often made by professionals as well as amateurs. He obviously thought that the lower section of the branch "the log" would be heavier than the upper section.

I have often been surprised myself at how much heavier those little leaves and twigs at the end of the branch are than the log at the butt.

His inexperience is mostly revealed in his lack of preparation for the probable kickback of the limb, given the placement of the strap. Clearly, if a professional had been doing the job, the branch would not of been secured by a strap, the climber would not have been standing unsecured on a ladder, and he would probably have done the whole thing differently.

A. from what I could see the limb could of been cut without damaging the building without a rope strap. I usually use a Marline and bowline near the butt instead of tip tie because its usually all I need and predictable and fast. Tip tie and lift or swing is reserved for those delicate areas usually involving power lines or over roof and then its just the nearest limbs until I can hinge, then I go back to butt ties. Usually

Well sure, rope! Lots of ways to do that branch. But that guy needed a tutor, and you weren't available that day.

Way back when you were a puppy at trimming, tell me you didn't cut off at least a few branches, thinking that they were going butt-first...but didn't?

Sometimes I think I have crawled far enough out to make them go butt-first, but I still goof up occasionally. Having made that mistake before, I'm always ready with the backup plan, though.

Well sure, rope! Lots of ways to do that branch. But that guy needed a tutor, and you weren't available that day.

Way back when you were a puppy at trimming, tell me you didn't cut off at least a few branches, thinking that they were going butt-first...but didn't?

Sometimes I think I have crawled far enough out to make them go butt-first, but I still goof up occasionally. Having made that mistake before, I'm always ready with the backup plan, though.

I crawled out a couple time then used a pruner to set my ropes lol! You bet I have screwed up luckily nothing more than a bruised well lets just leave it there:) I have came to the conclusion that 85% of my roped cuts are butt ties because they are fast safe and reliable with a Marline. I am speed lining now every chance I get but even then its a butt tie 85%! I think I can still count on fingers the times I used a spider leg set-up but have used tag lines and drift lines quite a few times. I feel the limb in this vid I could of slightly side notched and bombed imo.

and the 3rd one was no PPE

Let's give him credit for at least wearing ear protection, heavy gloves, safety glasses, (I think), long pants and he seemed well braced against a heavy branch. Most homeowners don't go that far. Ladder didn't look like it was tied to the tree, he wasn't tied in and the lack of experience with swinging branches looks like what got him. I don't think chain saw pants would have helped here. Anybody ID the saw? Looks a lot like a Stihl, something your average homeowner doesn't own. At this point I am sure he wished he would have called in a pro.

Let's give him credit for at least wearing ear protection, heavy gloves, safety glasses, (I think), long pants and he seemed well braced against a heavy branch. Most homeowners don't go that far. Ladder didn't look like it was tied to the tree, he wasn't tied in and the lack of experience with swinging branches looks like what got him. I don't think chain saw pants would have helped here. Anybody ID the saw? Looks a lot like a Stihl, something your average homeowner doesn't own. At this point I am sure he wished he would have called in a pro.

Well I agree until the stihl thingy lol :)

OMG that's brutal!

I think the worst part is you dont know it's tied off at first, so ya don't see that coming. Ouchie x 100.. poor cheap bastard..

I would have hucked that piece of crap saw alot quicker than that!

Had a very similar job just last week at a friends house. Thought about it for a day or so. Ordered a pole saw and did the job from a safe distance and angle. A $100 electric telescoping pole saw could have prevented mostl of his "potential" risks. Not too bright cradling the crotch of a tree from the top rung of a ladder.

Latest posts

Back