Wow, this guy gets mangled

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my goodness!! That had to hurt something fierce! I guess he should have done a little more analyzing before jumping right in and cutting. These videos are a good reality check to anybody who uses a saw to make sure that we are VERY aware of the situation.

obviously you own a homeowner chainsaw :stupid:.

many. many pro saws as well.
it's a crappy mechanic that blames his tools.
what should everybody do, call you when the firewood needs cutting?
what about that 3" limb that snapped in the wind storm? yup nothing but a 660 will do:msp_rolleyes:

Scary. Stuff like that happens so FAST. In less that a split second he goes from expecting to watch the branch swing gracefully to the ground to wondering why he cant feel his left foot anymore. Stuff like that can happen to anyone, not just inexperienced homeowners (don't get me wrong, experience and training do greatly decrease the risk obviously).

Not that chainsaws are not dangerous, but I think it is the trees that we work in that is where the real danger lies. All the kevlar, rope, webbing and safety gear in the world wont save you from a 200 pound chunk of wood that unexpectedly swings your way like a battering ram.

Scary. Stuff like that happens so FAST. In less that a split second he goes from expecting to watch the branch swing gracefully to the ground to wondering why he cant feel his left foot anymore. Stuff like that can happen to anyone, not just inexperienced homeowners (don't get me wrong, experience and training do greatly decrease the risk obviously).

Not that chainsaws are not dangerous, but I think it is the trees that we work in that is where the real danger lies. All the kevlar, rope, webbing and safety gear in the world wont save you from a 200 pound chunk of wood that unexpectedly swings your way like a battering ram.

it's never the tool. it's the tool using the improper tool.

Ouch, that hurt to watch even after the 6th time. As with the points above, never work alone. Bet he had a hard painful time hopping down that ladder.

Wonder what made the limb kick back, maybe the tip was against a building, or were the limbs tangled up and that's why it hung up. Guess I'll have to watch it again.

Okay, I saw a webbing strap about mid-point, bad move. Also had to laugh cause I noticed he crossed himself at the very beginning, but I couldn't here what he said.

Last edited:
He definately created the problem.If you look around the 35 second part of the video, you can see the strap or rope that he had tied to the crotch of that limb.Accidents do happen to everyone,but it seems like this one certainly could have been prevented with just a little more thought.He was scared and unsure going into the tree.His lack of knowledge and confidence got him hurt.THIS was a job for a pro.I`ve never even considered running a chainsaw from a ladder.Then again, I was a logger, not a tree trimmer.:)

Ha ha yeah , its always always the tool not the person . Someone should get a hold of that guy and tell him to use 100 cc saw next time to save his other leg :msp_smile:

Thanks for the video. I think the guy attached the strap to the wrong place and thought the branch would drop and hang on it but instead the branch came back on him. Would he have had a better day if there was some slack in the strap? Who knows.

The cause of the injury is actually a common error often made by professionals as well as amateurs. He obviously thought that the lower section of the branch "the log" would be heavier than the upper section.

I have often been surprised myself at how much heavier those little leaves and twigs at the end of the branch are than the log at the butt.

His inexperience is mostly revealed in his lack of preparation for the probable kickback of the limb, given the placement of the strap. Clearly, if a professional had been doing the job, the branch would not of been secured by a strap, the climber would not have been standing unsecured on a ladder, and he would probably have done the whole thing differently.

this is why they shouldent make homeowner chainsaws. period.

Agreed.. especially the top handled ones.. scares me when I see some using them.

Considering it is likely the most dangerous tool an average homeowener can buy and use.. wonder more are not injured or killed. Maybe you just don't hear about them all.

He definately created the problem.If you look around the 35 second part of the video, you can see the strap or rope that he had tied to the crotch of that limb.Accidents do happen to everyone,but it seems like this one certainly could have been prevented with just a little more thought.He was scared and unsure going into the tree.His lack of knowledge and confidence got him hurt.THIS was a job for a pro.I`ve never even considered running a chainsaw from a ladder.Then again, I was a logger, not a tree trimmer.:)

The first clue that something was wrong was the ladder.. and then the 2nd one that it was an aluminum ladder.. and the 3rd one was no PPE.. shall I go on :)

thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard.

Well, frankly.. I would suggest that well over 80% of the homeowners do not know how to properly and safely use a saw on the ground let alone on a ladder.

I would guess that any person properly trained in safe use of a saw could find half a dozen safety violations in the average home owner using a saw within the first 30 seconds.. if not then within the first minute.

Considering a chainsaw is rated as the most dangerous tool a homeowner can purchsae (according to an article I read).. then it is a little scary to see the average person use one. Many do not understand, nor fully appreciate the dangers and risks.

I've seen this video before. What I don't understand is this: if you can get up high enough to tie off the limb like was done in the video, why not just lop off a few branches while you're up there? At least that way when it kicks back, maybe it won't fracture the tib/fib.

I really do not understand why there are so many posts in this thread blaming homeowner chainsaws. Are you referring to chainsaws owned by homeowners, or chainsaws of "homeowner" quality?

"Homeowner" quality chainsaws are no more dangerous to use than "pro" quality saws. They just do not cut as fast nor last as long.

Blaming the chainsaw is dumb, and the dummy using the chainsaw in this video would have been injured just as badly had he been using a 200T on that cut.

Back