X27 amazed me again!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rio_Grande

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I had 6 walnut logs that I cut last year and sat up on racks but didn't buck up. Well I bucked it yesterday and was too lazy to hook my splitter up for a small amount of wood, so doubting I would have much success I got out the x27, it was like butter! The only trouble I had was a few crotches that I had to hit a half dozen times to get split. Sometimes I wonder why I even own a hydro splitter.

I had 6 walnut logs that I cut last year and sat up on racks but didn't buck up. Well I bucked it yesterday and was too lazy to hook my splitter up for a small amount of wood, so doubting I would have much success I got out the x27, it was like butter! The only trouble I had was a few crotches that I had to hit a half dozen times to get split. Sometimes I wonder why I even own a hydro splitter.

Sacrilege!

I've got the X25, love it. In fact, I might consider picking up the X27 next time it comes on sale. I won't even look at hydraulics anymore.

Another one..... Yer going to hell to Buddy.

Don't you guys know this forum is for manly machinery and stuff?

If you're gonna go greenie or Huggy on us, you might have to go to the Carving and Turning forum or something....

J/K.

+1 on the 25, I have a Stihl branded one and I think I owe it to myself to get a 27, I believe I can make use of the extra length despite being vertically challenged. I do have a Stihl maul too, obviously rebranded, but its good too.

Aint nothing like a *little* splitting workout, but I always put out some butter rounds for the "Splitting for show, cutting for dough crowd".

wait until you manage to break your x27. the only thing more impressive than its performance is fiskars replacement policy. Take a picture and you get a new one....yup, really is that simple. Found a hair line crack in mine....I was using it as a pry bar at the time and noticed the split.

I've got the X25, love it. In fact, I might consider picking up the X27 next time it comes on sale. I won't even look at hydraulics anymore.

Go to Wally World.com and search for the 27 and you can have it shipped to your house for just over 40 bones :msp_smile:

Stay away from wally world. Be American and go to the local hardware store.

Just curious, how do these Fiskar's compare to solid steel maul? I have one with the triangular head, I'm not sure of the weight, I think it is 12lbs.

Just curious, how do these Fiskar's compare to solid steel maul? I have one with the triangular head, I'm not sure of the weight, I think it is 12lbs.

They split with less effort. That being said, I wouldn't get rid of your other maul and wedges.

I scrounge so I get everything from easy to split ash to extremely stringy cherry. I'll be keeping my splitter, as much as I do like the x27. :msp_smile:

They split with less effort. That being said, I wouldn't get rid of your other maul and wedges.

I scrounge so I get everything from easy to split ash to extremely stringy cherry. I'll be keeping my splitter, as much as I do like the x27. :msp_smile:

Totally agree, as much as I love my X27 after I spent half a day in BIG green hickory rounds the other half was on the hydro.....

Same here. The Fiskars gets the clear grain stuff or chunks with knots that can be split around. Anything else goes on the "hydraulic" pile. Daddy raised a dumb kid but not a stupid one.

Harry K

Oh I won't be ditching my maul or wedges that's for sure. I read so many positive reviews for the Fiskar's that i'm thinking about buying one. I don't split too much wood because I have an OWB and m ost of what I cut is a foot or less dia. I do have to split some and I would like to try out that Fiskar's.

You's guys that won't "look at hydraulics anymore" need to bring your Fiskars on over to my place... I've got some elm and Bur Oak that will make your axes weep in shame :girl:. Some of that stuff will swallow a splittin' wedge like it was a 6p finish nail.

:jester:You just need someone man enough to swing the Fiskars ..:lifter:.. lots more work than tossing the little handle thingy on the hydro splitter .... Send me a bus ticket, I'm a-coming !:wave:

.45-70 Government..old heavy slow...hits like a locomotive

7MM RemMag...new lighter fast..hits like a locomotive

each are cool in their own way

Oh I won't be ditching my maul or wedges that's for sure. I read so many positive reviews for the Fiskar's that i'm thinking about buying one. I don't split too much wood because I have an OWB and m ost of what I cut is a foot or less dia. I do have to split some and I would like to try out that Fiskar's.

Oh it's just real fun go ahead and get one. It flies with straight grained wood. I mean really, it's just fast as anything. Makes ya feel like a machine, like an olympic athlete or something...real nasty gnarly stuff..is just that, back to drudgery with something else, sledge and wedge or hydraulics or something. There's no one size fits every situation splitter. I do all of the above, plus noodling. I get enough wood I don't have to putz with real gnarly stuff, if it looks like it sucks, screw it, that's why I have chainsaws.... I look forward to nice clean fiskars fun though. Got me a bunch saved up for this winter when it is harder to go cut. I can just blow through a stack of nice straight oak or ash or dry poplar or pine, it's just pure pleasure, "sport splitting". Hmm, about like going out target shooting, like skeet or something.

I very rarly us a splitter

This is all split by hand and maul:rock:

attachment.php

All of this red oak was split with an X27 and X25 in the beginning of august. . I used the X27 while my son and wife used the X25. There are was probably 30 or so hard to split pieces that I have behind the pile that I'll noodle. I give all of them 3 hits and if I'm not making any progress I toss them in the cull pile.

View attachment 257973

Last year I did a 13 cord load of birch and had about the same number of culls (30 or so). I ordered another 12 cord load of birch a few weeks back and it is finally going to be here next week so the fiskars' will get another workout shortly.

Latest posts

Back