XL Oiler

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evo123

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Are the auto oilers on a Homelite XL adjustable? Bar oil is spewing out from somewhere I'm assuming from the oiler.Also how much side play for the sprocket drum....does it take 1 or 2 washers inside and out, there was only one on but it seemed like way too much side to side movement.

Last edited:
Bar oiler is non-adjustable. It works by building up the pressure in the oil tank. You could check your little plastic tank and the pressure and oil lines leading from it to make sure you don't have any leaks.

One washer on the clutch.

These saws have a lot of side to side play in the crank. Check and see if your whole crank is moving back and forth not just the clutch. That would be normal. Just make sure you don't have any up and down movement on the crank that would indicate badly worn bearings.

I was working on an XL the other day that had a diaphram located above the spool/drum that operated the oiler. Needless to say the diaphram was busted and didn't oil, and as we all know, everything is discontinued for these's saws. I happen to have another XL for parts and noticed it had the pressurized tank method, so I just made a new gasket for the cover plate for the diaphram and re-routed some hoses and transformed the XL to the old style. Seems to work good so far.

Latest posts

Back