Yard sale Husqvarna 450 Rancher won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intotheether

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up a 450 at a yard sale, couldn't get it to start on site before purchase, negotiated a reduced price.

Took it home, put fresh 92 octane 50:1 pre-mix in it, still wont pop or run. With starting fluid sprayed into an air nozzle dried combustion chamber, wont even pop. Holding thumb over spark plug hole resukts in good pushback so compression seems decent. Decompression valve is functional, and I kept it in the closed position.

After 10 pulls, fuel is pouring out the exhaust. Held throttle wide open and tried to purge fuel, still wont pop.

Spark is evident and blue.

I ordered a replacement carb with rebuild kit with fuel line from Flea-bay and a coil from Husqvarna.

By reading the google results the main causes of Huskies not starting after sitting is ethanol damaged carbs and bad ignition coils. Other causes are skipped timing on the flywheel, and magnets that are covered in grime.

Am I missing anything in my testing?

If the carb and ignition coil don't work, gonna take it to the local Juskie repair shop

Take the plug out, turn the saw upside down and drain the cylinder. If you have a compressor, blow the cylinder dry. Re- install the plug, do not choke, hold the throttle wide open and crank it over, it should cough after a few good pulls, it’ll smoke a little when it try’s to start, but that’s ok, it was probably badly flooded. Hope this helps.:p

UPDATE:

I checked the magnet position, it was under the coil at the top of the compression stroke. So I had a new carb and kit ready to install, had the top end tore apart, and then a little voice said "why dont you try what Grizz55chev recommended?"

So after a toothbrush cleaning around the carb I reassembled it with the factory carb still in it and I'll be damned if it didn't pop on the 4th pull!!
2 more pulls and it ran.

Only used the choke for the first pull.

Grizz, I owe you a beer Sir.

I have to wonder how many saws have been thrown away or placed on a shelf or a garage floor for years after they have been flooded. :eek:

One of the nicer things I have noticed about Husqvarna saws is that they tend to unflood themselves and start when simply cranked at fast idle.

2nd Update.

The starting by Griz method unfortunately was a fluke. I failed to try the 3 times to be sure method of starting.

So after putting a new carb assembly on it, she runs great, and starts on the first pull when warm.

2nd Update.

The starting by Griz method unfortunately was a fluke. I failed to try the 3 times to be sure method of starting.

So after putting a new carb assenbly on it, she runs great, and starts on the first pull when warm.

From Flea-Bay you said. Soooooo it was an AfterMarket Carb, i.e. not OEM. Hmmmmmm.....

The experts say to only use OEM. Hmmmmmm........

:ices_rofl:

2nd Update.

The starting by Griz method unfortunately was a fluke. I failed to try the 3 times to be sure method of starting. So after putting a new carb assembly on it, she runs great, and starts on the first pull when warm.
Interesting that I used the same solution with a far more vintage Husky 51. A new carb will often let a chain saw engine get right back into the ball game. My 51 is now challenging my 257.

Latest posts

Back