Yellow fuzzy stuff on firewood??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nparch726

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know I've seen an answer on this here before, but can't for the life of me remember what it is.

I've got a couple small woodpiles down in the ravine, most of it's been there a few years since I haven't got around to dragging it up yet, anyway one of the piles has quite a few logs with that yellow fuzzy stuff growing on it. Most of the logs are elm, with a little bit of walnut.

Anyways, what is the stuff? Thanks guys!

Mold is usually white or black, but without seeing (or smelling), my guess from your description of area would still be mold

Ya, I figured it was a mold or fungus of some sort, just curious as to what it actually is.

It's definately not getting in the way of burning it, the new OWB burns it up just like anything else.

Whenever I bring my wood in I get a Calico colored fuzz on my wood. Of course that's our cat, she's obsessed with wood. No help but it's saturday night and I've been drinking.:cheers:

I've got some yellow fuzzy stuff on some of the wood on my firepile. Discovered it was mold growing on a few pieces of 'possum poop from a fat little guy whose been living under the tarp for a while. Anyone have a recommendation for killing a possum that isn't on the road and refuses to vacate my wood pile?

I've got some yellow fuzzy stuff on some of the wood on my firepile. Discovered it was mold growing on a few pieces of 'possum poop from a fat little guy whose been living under the tarp for a while. Anyone have a recommendation for killing a possum that isn't on the road and refuses to vacate my wood pile?

So long as dogs can't get acess, golden malrin fly bait and pepsi in a pan would kill coons and possums. Cats won't touch it, but dogs will.

It is a poison that affects the nervious system. Kills quick enough.

I'd leave the possum be.

He'll probably take care of any mice or rats that may try making a home out of the wood pile. he may have trouble catching adults but will have no problem sniffing out nests with babies.

I'd prefer a possum in the wood pile over mice or rats.

A possum really isn't going to hurt anything by living there.

Diet among Didelphidae is omnivorous, with some variation among species. Food sources include insects, small reptiles, small mammals, especially rodents, birds' eggs, fruits, seeds, snails, freshwater crustaceans, earthworms, and carrion. One species is skilled at subduing scorpions. The yapok, or water opossum, hunts and eats freshwater fish. Some species store fat in the bases of their tails to carry them through the lean months.

Read more: New World Opossums: Didelphimorphia - Diet http://animals.jrank.org/pages/2586/New-World-Opossums-Didelphimorphia-DIET.html#ixzz0XdOyxYW1

So yes, they will eat mice, but will that be all their diet? Doubtful. They may enjoy raiding a garden, and surely will enjoy pooping on your woodpile and spreading any disease they may be carrying.

Want a good mouse eating machine? Get a few barncats. :cheers:

I've found a 12 gauge to be effective on possums.

Latest posts

Back