Yellow Jackets in hollow tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyhightree1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I finally got a tree to cut down first one in some months and it had G.D. Yellow Jacket's in the tree 20 feet up. I was like thats just great so what I did was since I am not allergic to bees waited till barely light and was still cool climbed up the tree and sprayed the expanding pipe foam in there and in the hole that stuff worked great no bee stings.Has anyone ever done that before. I know some Creature activist may think thats wrong but I had to do what I had to do. Has anyone ever encountered this before and used same solution ?

It's that time of year. The yellow jackets are to be found out of the blue in all kinds of places this time of year and they seem to be pissed off ,maybe because of cooler mornings?. I don't know but they seem mad. I was told of a new bee spray out that actually is a "foam". You spray it in the opening of the hole and it expands so that the bee will have to go through the foam, contacting the chemical and dies. I think the idea is awesome! And no you didn't do anything wrong in your situation.

Last edited:
Thanks yea the bee's seem pissed off all the time now a days but in all honesty I haven't been seeing as many bee's as I use too. Those yellow jackets will wear you out they have no mercy.

Thanks yea the bee's seem pissed off all the time now a days but in all honesty I haven't been seeing as many bee's as I use too. Those yellow jackets will wear you out they have no mercy.

Your exactly right, last year I remember seeing 2 or 3 honey bees and that's all ,,but 90% of my work has been on a golf course. I have wondered what the pesticide factor is in this.

Last edited:
We encounter yellow jackets a LOT here in NC. We just wait until almost dark, then dust the nest with Sevin dust. The next day, we can get back to work.

Well up here in richmond va I personally haven't seen that many. I don't know whats going on. there arent many people that keep bee's around here anymore and maybe its all the pollution killing them.

We just had some bees in one of the Silver Maple hollows that we took down in my GRCS thread. Climber got down quick and alright then we regrouped with 4 cans of wasp killer, went back up, laced the holes, then cut the stub out and laced it again when it hit the ground. There were a few here and there afterwards, but they eventually left after they saw their home destroyed. I almost died from a sting beind the ear on a job once, didn't know I was allergic at the time, been stung since with no problems. It was bad, whole body swelled up, throat closed down, body temp went down and pulse slowed.

Bee stinks are no joke... People play with bee nests as I once did when I was a kid but you can get seriously hurt.

Yellow Jackets and Hornets are as bad as any other wasp but from what I have been reading the Honeybees are in trouble and quite possibly us too because we depend so much on them for pollinating our crops. I have been letting the grass and clover grow longer in our yard to give them more nectar from the flowers but I haven't seen them in the usual numbers. The bug guys ( Entomologists ) are still scratching their heads over this problem.

Yellow Jackets and Hornets are as bad as any other wasp but from what I have been reading the Honeybees are in trouble and quite possibly us too because we depend so much on them for pollinating our crops. I have been letting the grass and clover grow longer in our yard to give them more nectar from the flowers but I haven't seen them in the usual numbers. The bug guys ( Entomologists ) are still scratching their heads over this problem.

That would not be good but im sure some " ENTOMOLOGIST " will start cloning them then.....

We just had some bees in one of the Silver Maple hollows that we took down in my GRCS thread. Climber got down quick and alright then we regrouped with 4 cans of wasp killer, went back up, laced the holes, then cut the stub out and laced it again when it hit the ground. There were a few here and there afterwards, but they eventually left after they saw their home destroyed. I almost died from a sting beind the ear on a job once, didn't know I was allergic at the time, been stung since with no problems. It was bad, whole body swelled up, throat closed down, body temp went down and pulse slowed.

Around here, maples are REAL bad about hosting nests of yellow jackets. We scout out all maple jobs a day or two ahead with binoculars and treat the nest with Sevin when we find one. I was swarmed by ground dwelling yellow jackets at our mountain cabin about 10 years ago and started into anaphylactic shock (swelling, throat closing, heart rate slowing, breathing difficult). Luckily, we were able to get into town to the hospital in time for a few epinephrin shots... I try to keep an epi-pen nearby now.

i got stung on the eyebrow the other morning. and then the finger later that day. bastids.

as long as its not the bald face hornet!

up in a removal last week..was about 50 feet high and the bald face hornet was the last thing in my mind until.................they found me bouncing there branch which the hive was hung. was the fastest tie in and descend in my life...got out with only about 20 stings while tying my line in what a bombardment of beez. headed for my truck and gulped down a couple shots of benidrill. Had to go home after that was a bit sleepy. but after all them stings didnt want to take a chance. never had a reaction but when I get stung over 5 times I always hit the antihistimine.just in case.
BEE AWARE
BEE CAREFUL
BEE HAVE

up in a removal last week..was about 50 feet high and the bald face hornet was the last thing in my mind until.................they found me bouncing there branch which the hive was hung. was the fastest tie in and descend in my life...got out with only about 20 stings while tying my line in what a bombardment of beez. headed for my truck and gulped down a couple shots of benidrill. Had to go home after that was a bit sleepy. but after all them stings didnt want to take a chance. never had a reaction but when I get stung over 5 times I always hit the antihistimine.just in case.
BEE AWARE
BEE CAREFUL
BEE HAVE

What are you gonna do about your job ?

Well how do you like this. The wife was pulling up weeds and I was mowing, next thing I know I am swarmed by jacks as she goes running past. She unearthed the nest. Still better than those darn Bald-Faced Hornets!!!

I had a Yellow jacket next in my yard a few years ago... I started my push mower and put it over there hole till it ran out of gas and after that no more bee's.:cheers:

Well how do you like this. The wife was pulling up weeds and I was mowing, next thing I know I am swarmed by jacks as she goes running past. She unearthed the nest. Still better than those darn Bald-Faced Hornets!!!
I had a cousin die from hornets she stirred up with her lawn mower in Baton Rouge, La. Poor ole gal did not have a chance.

The ground yellow jackets give me hell here in Dallas
When I am out mowing I always wear a long sleeve shirt with a cotton welding cap on .
Along with a cotton towl around my neck to beat them off.

Whenever I spot a nest it gets a gallon of gas to drink.

Back