Yellow Jackets in hollow tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen more Cicada Killers and yellow Jackets this year than in a long time. The Cicada Killers were swarming around my Silver Maple so bad a few weeks ago that I wouldnt let the wife and kids outside except to get in the car to go somewhere. I know CK's arent real agrresive, but Im not taking any chances. The locusts are many here this year, but still WAY more CK's than I have ever seen. Thankfully Bald Faced hornets arent around here at least that I have noticed.

My boss was disking a field, when I heard him start screaming like a girl in a cheap horror movie. He was running waving his arms, tell he reached his truck. He had disked over a yellow jackets nest, really stirring them up. It was pretty funny after the fact. We have no shortage of honey bees out our way. I carry a bee keepers headcover in my war bag. I really dislike harming any of Gods creatures, but you got to get the job done. I use the expanding foam insulation along with wasp spray to subdue the bees. Getting there early before it warms up helps also. Some times we call vector control if we know of the hive before hand. They close the hive off with the expanding foam also. We once on a really huge hive used soapy water shot out of a fire hose from our water truck. We have killer bees out here, but i haven't(luckily)ran into any of them yet.

What exactly is a killer bee not to be a dumb arse ? Where did they come from? What part of country do they normally live in ?

Last edited:
Killer bees came from a hive of African hybrid bees that escaped from a research facility in Brazil. They've been cross breeding with the nice mellow honey bees, as they worked their way north, taking over hives throu their dominate genes. The African bees are really aggressive and easly pissed off.

What exactly is a killer bee not to be a dumb arse ? Where did they come from? What part of country do they normally live in ?

They started working their way north ever since they escaped from Brazil. They crossed the North American border from Mexico in the late 80's and have spread throughout NM, CA, TX, AZ, and they are still moving north and east.The original intention of the hybrid was to increase honey production, and overall pollenation, but as we have all seen, an unwanted side effect of them is their extremely aggressive behavior when confronted in any form.

The honey be problem is indeed a MAJOR concern. Native North Amercian honey bee populations are indeed on a very steep decline, they are becoming so scarce in fact, Australian bees are being imported to attempt to offset the shortages here. The problem seems to be with a disease that affects their brains if I remember correctly.

we took down a big dead ash with a honey bee colony in it today. i felt bad. knowing whats going on with the nice guys of the bee world.

I got stung by a yellow jacket today. It is that time of year, i will get stung about once a week until it freezes. I was told that the reason that they get really aggressive this time of the year is because their bodies start shutting down, and basically they are starving to death because their digestive systems are no longer working. My poor dog is a paranoid mess from all the stings he has gotten. The bald faced hornets are by far much worse though. I got stung in the back of the once. It hurt so bad my ears started ringing. I thought I had been shot.

They came up with the illegals we need to get a huge can of raid :laugh:

I found a honey comb in a tree on my farm, they were buzzin
round a little pissed as; I was bush hogging close by! I decided to
leave the area alone. I am now wandering how long it will take
for a bear to find it!

Last edited:

for a bear to find it!

From what I gather I definately don't want them here in Va.

for a bear to find it!

Throw a little bacon grees by the tree the bear will find it

Speaking of yellow jackets, how would I go about removing/killing off a nest of them that has taken up residence in my exterior cable utility box? My husband usually handles that kind of thing for me since I am allergic to them, but he is in Afghanistan right now and won't be home til end of Oct. I would leave them except for the fact I need to mow and thats how I found them, was on the riding mower next to the house near the box and I guess that really ticked them off, because they just came boiling out of the box! I got lucky, didn't get stung.

Speaking of yellow jackets, how would I go about removing/killing off a nest of them that has taken up residence in my exterior cable utility box? My husband usually handles that kind of thing for me since I am allergic to them, but he is in Afghanistan right now and won't be home til end of Oct. I would leave them except for the fact I need to mow and thats how I found them, was on the riding mower next to the house near the box and I guess that really ticked them off, because they just came boiling out of the box! I got lucky, didn't get stung.

Wait until dark and then you can get close without danger. Fill every crack and crevice in the cable box with sevin dust using a duster you can get at any big box lawn and garden store. If you can't get sevin dust or the duster, use wasp and hornet spray. If you find all entry points, you will probably not see any more flying around the next day. If you do, dust them or spray them again the next night. Occasionally several yellow jackets will be out of the nest over night.

They started working their way north ever since they escaped from Brazil. They crossed the North American border from Mexico in the late 80's and have spread throughout NM, CA, TX, AZ, and they are still moving north and east.The original intention of the hybrid was to increase honey production, and overall pollenation, but as we have all seen, an unwanted side effect of them is their extremely aggressive behavior when confronted in any form.

There here in florida,right here in okeechobee a guy was attacked while cleaning up junk in his yard :sword:

Rope you have killer bees in Arkansas? I didnt think they had got that far north?

Latest posts

Back