Yellow Jackets in hollow tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week my boss and I were taking down a big pine. Bucket truck is tied up in the paint shop so he climbed it up while I cleared brush as it came down. When my boss got to about 60ft. or so I hear him start yelling and cussin. The 200t came crashing to the ground (still works fine) and he was trying to get his line around a branch and a prusik tied in it to slide down. The knot was only about half complete by the time he came sliding down. He made it down safely, but with 11 stings on his head from white face hornets. I didn't think they would make hives that high up, but there it was in a mangled section of branches about 5ft above where he was. Needless to say we said screw it and blocked of the street (underground utilities) and dropped the whole tree there then used the trusty swinger loader to push the top out of the road and spray the hell out of the hive and ran around like a couple little girls.

Last week my boss and I were taking down a big pine. Bucket truck is tied up in the paint shop so he climbed it up while I cleared brush as it came down. When my boss got to about 60ft. or so I hear him start yelling and cussin. The 200t came crashing to the ground (still works fine) and he was trying to get his line around a branch and a prusik tied in it to slide down. The knot was only about half complete by the time he came sliding down. He made it down safely, but with 11 stings on his head from white face hornets. I didn't think they would make hives that high up, but there it was in a mangled section of branches about 5ft above where he was. Needless to say we said screw it and blocked of the street (underground utilities) and dropped the whole tree there then used the trusty swinger loader to push the top out of the road and spray the hell out of the hive and ran around like a couple little girls.

awesome story. lol

those are them bastids we are talking about on another thread. those guys are pissed all day long.

no wait its this thread! lol

Last edited:
Speaking of yellow jackets, how would I go about removing/killing off a nest of them that has taken up residence in my exterior cable utility box? My husband usually handles that kind of thing for me since I am allergic to them, but he is in Afghanistan right now and won't be home til end of Oct. I would leave them except for the fact I need to mow and thats how I found them, was on the riding mower next to the house near the box and I guess that really ticked them off, because they just came boiling out of the box! I got lucky, didn't get stung.

Wait until dark and then you can get close without danger. Fill every crack and crevice in the cable box with sevin dust using a duster you can get at any big box lawn and garden store. If you can't get sevin dust or the duster, use wasp and hornet spray. If you find all entry points, you will probably not see any more flying around the next day. If you do, dust them or spray them again the next night. Occasionally several yellow jackets will be out of the nest over night.

If you go the wasp/hornet killer route.. try to find the stuff that foams up... does a great job of stopping them in their tracks... they don't seem to fly too well when foamed.

Speaking of yellow jackets, how would I go about removing/killing off a nest of them that has taken up residence in my exterior cable utility box? My husband usually handles that kind of thing for me since I am allergic to them, but he is in Afghanistan right now and won't be home til end of Oct. I would leave them except for the fact I need to mow and thats how I found them, was on the riding mower next to the house near the box and I guess that really ticked them off, because they just came boiling out of the box! I got lucky, didn't get stung.
There is some great ideas here on what to do & I would add one thing.

If you can move a car or truck nearby so you can get in in a emergency if you hit a nest.
The yellow jackets hate the cold air from the air conditioner.

That saved my bacon from one large nest I stepped in when I was running a large STIHL brush cutter.

we took down a big dead ash with a honey bee colony in it today. i felt bad. knowing whats going on with the nice guys of the bee world.

just thought i would add that we have a coworker who doesnt care what anyone else wants or thinks because he is really that selfish. he's the type of guy who will pull into the yard see that its going to take a second to park the truck because of whatever reason and get in his own and leave. a 20 yr guy.

anyway that honey bee colony we found we were going to cut the log and put it on the other side of the fence so it can do its thing.

come around the wood pile and he's over there spraying the snot out the hive.

i go "what the hell you doing dude?"

"i am allergic to bee's" he says continuing to spray.

i say " what the hell you care about wood in the pile, you arent going to do anything with the wood and we both know you wont put yourself in harms way.....why you care"

"i'm allergic" he says

"dude their honey bee's....terry was in the nest yesterday running the saw and they didnt bother him."

"allergic" he says.

"you suck, do you ever think of anyone else?" i said. and walked away.

we have a potential problem with honeybee hive dying ( hive collapse I think they call it) and here is a hive that was going to be relocated so they could go about their business and along comes Mr selfish who decides to take them out even though he wont be anywhere near the hive... idiot

Back