Yet another newbie/what to buy thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, a little more thinking and talking to friends around here and I think I've pretty much settled on getting the 545. Sounds like that should be a good compromise - cheaper than an XP but still a solid step up from the 455. That works for me.

So, now to the details. I'm pretty sure that I want an 18" bar - again that just seems like a good middle of the road way to go. It looks like the saw is available with a .50 and a .58 gage bar. Any reason to go with one over the other? Also, what are the tradeoffs on chain pitch? The 455 I used from work had a 3/8" pitch and the 545 looks to be .325" pitch. It would have been a little nicer for me if they were the same as I could then take the work saw for a backup and have my chains fit so I don't have to use something that's been abused here. But not a big deal. Still, I'd be interested to know why you'd run one vs. the other.

I might even have time to run out to the dealer at lunch, we'll see...

Thanks again to all for all the advice. It's been a huge help! And, you've successfully pushed me at least closer to a pro grade saw! :)

Last edited:
...I think I've pretty much settled on getting the 545. Sounds like that should be a good compromise - cheaper than an XP but still a solid step up from the 455. That works for me.

...I'm pretty sure that I want an 18" bar - again that just seems like a good middle of the road way to go...

I'm sure you'll be happy with this choice. :smile: In addition to suggestions on AS about the bar length, you might describe your cutting tasks to the dealer and ask for his recommendation for bar length and gauge. My 50cc Stihl came with the standard 16" bar w/.325 pitch chain, which I like a lot; my cousin across the street has a Husky 450 which came with an 18" bar w/.325 pitch chain.

I've owned / rebuilt some saws such as 028 super, 340, 345, 346XP, 350, 353, 50, 55, 44, 266, 036 pro, 361, 6401. I kept 3 saws out of about 33. The 401, 346XP, and 6401. If I could only have one saw it would undoubtably be the 6401. Yes, it's heavy, but it makes up for it in power. If you want a saw that will last 10 to 20 years, do you really want an electronic carb that costs over $100?

... I think I've pretty much settled on getting the 545.... I'm pretty sure that I want an 18" bar ... .050 or a .058 gauge.... 3/8" pitch or .325...Thanks...

I think you're thinking in a good direction.

My opinion: .325 / .050 / 16". It's what I prefer on my 50cc saw. But then I do have an 18" or a 20" that will fit that saw, also. Depends on the job. But for most of my work (with the 50cc saw), the saw AND I both like the 16" (I'm thinking of looking into a 14" or 15"), The shorter bars are more FUN, if you don't need the length. Both a 16" for everyday, and a 20" (which is almost too much bar) for when you really NEED it, might be a good idea.

Gauge (.050/.058): Buy whichever seems to be most common, locally. For me, it's .050. Online, (and esp. w/ some brands) .058 seems to be becoming more popular.

Pitch (3/8"/.325): This topic can be hotly debated sometimes in the 50cc class, but I prefer the Smoothness of the .325 for my 50cc saw.

I think you'll like the 545.

Got the 545

Well, I jus picked up my new saw. Ended up getting the 545 with an 18" bar, .325"/.050. Looking forward to giving it a try! Unfortunately, that's probably going to have to wait for the weekend (damn job gets in the way sometimes...). I should have plenty of chance to try it out then though. Skiing on Sat, so that's out, but we're planning to go get some wood on Sun. And if that doesn't work out, I just had 2 cords of logs dropped off at the house to supplement what I'm able to get on my own. So if nothing else, I can buck those up!

Thanks again for all the help! I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions as I get into this more.

Conrats on the saw. I personally think you have made a wonderful decision by getting a 545. It will make a helluva firewood saw, and after a year or two of reading saw threads it is going to make a badass combo with a 372xp.

Conrats on the saw. I personally think you have made a wonderful decision by getting a 545. It will make a helluva firewood saw, and after a year or two of reading saw threads it is going to make a badass combo with a 372xp.

You folks are a bad influence! Just don't let me wife see that... :)

... I personally think you have made a wonderful decision by getting a 545. It will make a helluva firewood saw, and after a year or two of reading saw threads it is going to make a badass combo with a 372xp.

You folks are a bad influence! Just don't let me wife see that... :)

If you're heating mostly with wood, a 372xp or similar size Husky at a later time might make sense, depending on what size wood you're running into. Like if you're cutting a lot of wood 20" diameter and above. It's called the 50-70cc 2-saw plan for future reference.

Back