Yet another pole saw thread: There's got to be a better way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree md

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
There's got to be a better way to pull loose hangers than to continually tear up a $200 Hayauchi in doing so. I tore up another Hayauchi yesterday (3rd one in little over a year). I was pulling a hanger out from about 20' over a high line and had to pull it towards me (over the limb that it was hung in and not the direction it wanted to go) and I lost my footing on one of the limbs that I was bracing against as I pulled and the saw lost purchase. When I slipped I dropped about a foot to the next limb I was using for leverage and the middle section dropped onto a limb and bent. I just bought this pole saw 2 weeks ago so needless to say I was sick. Thank God I still had the middle section from an older Hayauchi and was able to replace that section. I was using the pole saw in the tree because it was safer to pull the hanger away from the line, towards the tree instead of doing it from the ground and taking a chance of the hanger carrying the pole saw into the powerline. There was zero chance of hitting the line the way I was pulling it in the tree. I got down and threw a throwline over the limb, set a rope and pulled it out but I had to throw the line within 20' of the powerline which I don't like to do.

Anyway, I got to thinking that a $50 hanger is not worth a $200 pole saw. I love the light weight and reach of the Hayauchi and the blade is awesome but it sure is easy to tear one up. Especially when you spend day after day pulling storm damaged limbs out of trees. Just wondering what you guys are using as a less expensive alternative to the Hayauchi for working in the tree.

I use the old fashioned ash poles that clip together for tasks such as that. Yeah, they're heavier. But when they smash into something they don't break or bend, and I don't feel bad if I run over one.......

Pole saw Thread

I like the Jameson pole saws 1 or 4 6' or 8'& just a head or hook and pull away
I know that the end Furrele can get bent ( the Bottom one) I take a Female ferrule fill it with old Oak or Hickory Handel fron an old tool and put up on the Bottom Drop it from 50' that Oak will just bounce or stick in the lawn

Re: Pole saw

Hi, I have the little brother of the Hayauchi, the Zubat 13 footer. I got that one 'cause it was on sale at WesSpur, still is, I think. I like it alot, paid 100 bucks for it. Beautiful little saw! Well worth the money.
The only drawback is the scabbard has no easy way to clip it anywhere. I'm up in a tree, unlimber the little guy and "Well now what do I do with the scabbard, duh." Well some duct tape later and that problem solved.
You can buy the Fred Marvin fiberglass poles, poles only. Each section is only $30.00 (WesSpur). So if you break a single section on a $50.00 hanger you still made $20.00. That's a small joke. But the point being is that if you were to fashion a hook end for it, the cost factor, if one section gets smashed is not so much and you are not tearing up the pole saw for a job it was not really meant to do.
eljefe

2 jameson 8 footers with a home made hook that locks right it. Works great for hangers and advancing climbing and setting ropes.

Extendable paint roller pole? I think they are less than 40 bucks for 16 feet extension.

Extendable paint roller pole? I think they are less than 40 bucks for 16 feet extension.

Bekieve it or not Ghillie I've got one of those telescoping paint roller poles somewhere. I'm thinking about digging it out and modifying it the same as you did. Probably be somewhat flimsy but the price is right.

I've been using my 2-3 times a week since I got mine in November for trimming jobs, haven't had any issues with it, I am probably going to get a replacement blade for it soon since I've cut so much with it. The things a beast, I've been cutting through some big limbs with it! Only issue I had though is today, my dad was cutting, forgot to close the tabs, 1 extension came out landed butt first in the mud and filled it up with mud for 6"s! It's a good thing he's family! Anyone else I would of tore a strip off of!:greenchainsaw:

Bekieve it or not Ghillie I've got one of those telescoping paint roller poles somewhere. I'm thinking about digging it out and modifying it the same as you did. Probably be somewhat flimsy but the price is right.

This thread has me thinking. Maybe attach a hook on a rope to the end of the pole so you are pulling with the rope, the pole is just guiding the hook placement.

Price is definately right, and if it breaks, you still have the pole saw to use to finish the tree.

how about rainsing your prices

What's wrong with charging $75 for the hanger and actually climbing the tree?
Or for that matter $100-150... Why not? You still have to show up... there are companies around here that won;t show up for anything less than $300...

Get a big shot if you can;t throw to set a nice high tie in point and learn to footloack or get a foot ascender or a SLT system... whatever it takes ... learn to climb... REALLY CLIMB... I often think back on how difficult my life was back before I learned how... I climbed for 15 years before I learned how to REALLY CLIMB... OMG... the thought of all that wasted time and energy.. I drive by trees I struggled with 15 years ago and they look so straigh forward... simple...

You just have to learn to climb... I can climb 50 trees or more and not call for the pole saw once.. And my teachers can climb 100 and not need one. Monsters too! Usually the pole is only needed of there are hangers on adjacent trees.. Occasionally just easier to pick out little deadwood when a tree has no center..

What's wrong with charging $75 for the hanger and actually climbing the tree?
Or for that matter $100-150... Why not? You still have to show up... there are companies around here that won;t show up for anything less than $300...

Get a big shot if you can;t throw to set a nice high tie in point and learn to footloack or get a foot ascender or a SLT system... whatever it takes ... learn to climb... REALLY CLIMB... I often think back on how difficult my life was back before I learned how... I climbed for 15 years before I learned how to REALLY CLIMB... OMG... the thought of all that wasted time and energy.. I drive by trees I struggled with 15 years ago and they look so straigh forward... simple...

You just have to learn to climb... I can climb 50 trees or more and not call for the pole saw once.. And my teachers can climb 100 and not need one. Monsters too! Usually the pole is only needed of there are hangers on adjacent trees.. Occasionally just easier to pick out little deadwood when a tree has no center..

I had set a line with a big shot, installed a friction saver and rope climbed this tree and cut the hanger from the very top, I actually took hangers out of all three forks of the top and made healing cuts. This was a smooth bark Hickory with lots of brush that every limb seems to catch on, one of the long tall hickories that was probably 80' and very slim limbs at the top. I used my 200T as well as my handsaw on the smaller limbs. I had to use the pole saw for this particular hanger because I didn't have big enough wood to climb up to reach it at the very top. I was trying to get this hanger out after it had fallen and had actually hung up in a lower branch over the power line. I was pulling this hanger on my way down using the pole saw to pull it away from the power line it was hanging over. I was also doing this for family so the hanger wasn't even $50, it was free. That was just a number I pulled out of my ass to illustrate a point. Not saying that I know everything but I haven't made it 18 years in this business and built a successful service by not knowing how to climb. I doubt many work that long in the business without learning a thing or two. And I get very good prices. Some a lot better than yours from some of your posts I've read (crane job for $1850?). I am open to criticism but not condescension.

Last edited:
I'm still looking for an adjustable pole for these saws, that don't slip in and out when using them.

The guys that come up with these never take'em out back and try them? :dunno:

I'm still looking for an adjustable pole for these saws, that don't slip in and out when using them.

The guys that come up with these never take'em out back and try them? :dunno:

They Hayauchi is actually a really good pole saw Ray. It has two locking mechanisms, flip up levers and buttons. It doesn't slip but it is a little pricey to be having to replace 3 times a year.

They Hayauchi is actually a really good pole saw Ray. It has two locking mechanisms, flip up levers and buttons. It doesn't slip but it is a little pricey to be having to replace 3 times a year.
Man I bought one of these ARS polesaws with the adjustable snap clips and it was slipping the very first time I used it. Wasn't even getting pinched, just cutting a damn limb.
ARS.jpg

I took it back the same day and wanted my money back, like 4 hours later.

He laughed and said he couldn't help me. Most businesses back up what they sell, guess I should of got one from Walmart. :dizzy: :dunno: I had to take a brand new tool and drill and bust off the adjusters holders and drill holes about ever 2 feet with pins to keep it from moving.

Is that the 20' ARS? That's an awful expensive saw to be having any problems with out of the box. I think you would like the Hayauchi. Not supposed to be used to pull hangers I imagine but when you work in an area where the trees have been devastated by an ice storm it's nice to be able to reach up there and pull the loose hangers out and clear them out of your ascent path before you climb. I'm sure some here don't use them much but they are thinking normal tree care. Storm work you get creative and use what you have to try to keep from busting your coconut.

Is that the 20' ARS? That's an awful expensive saw to be having any problems with out of the box. I think you would like the Hayauchi. Not supposed to be used to pull hangers I imagine but when you work in an area where the trees have been devastated by an ice storm it's nice to be able to reach up there and pull the loose hangers out and clear them out of your ascent path before you climb. I'm sure some here don't use them much but they are thinking normal tree care. Storm work you get creative and use what you have to try to keep from busting your coconut.
Yeah it's nice now after some ghetto rigging. I just use it now when I have 3 or 4 hangers scattered around the tree, It's got an awesome reach.

Yeah sometimes getting hangers out of a tree is like throwing a cat out the window going down the highway. You can do it but it's a #####. :hmm3grin2orange:

hanger

go with murphy on the throw bag/big shot, and grab that hanger like spider man, no sense wasting time and tool

when you do need a pole saw, stick with the cheaper jameson poles which you can FIX YOURSELF! You cant fix those fancy poles easily, let alone on the jobsite!

go with murphy on the throw bag/big shot, and grab that hanger like spider man, no sense wasting time and tool

when you do need a pole saw, stick with the cheaper jameson poles which you can FIX YOURSELF! You cant fix those fancy poles easily, let alone on the jobsite!

OK, for the second time, I did set a line as high as I could with a bigshot and throwline, set a friction saver and got as high as I could before I had to snake my line through the nest of hangers in the top and recrotch higher in the tree. Number one, your not going to be able to set a line with a bigshot or anything else in the higher crotches when they are obstructed by a nest broken storm damaged hangers in a brushy Hickory. Number two, it was over a powerline. Not my favorite situation to try and shoot a line when there is a chance of getting into high voltage. The hanger snagged up in the hickory and rolled into a limb above the power line. No way to get out on the small limb it was hung in without chancing it breaking.

Thanks for the advice on the Jameson, I'll look into it.

Pole pick

Sherrill has a pole pick item 32360 that fits on the end of the standard pole, this has a hook and pick at the end and is only $23.00. I don't have one yet but one will be on my next order.

Latest posts

Back