Yet another pole saw thread: There's got to be a better way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, before I get out to warm the truck up......
In Murph's defense, we do see a ton of guys around here that are what I call "bucket brigades" that won't get out of the truck for less than 300 and who are the same guys that will tell you "oh no ma'am we got to use the bucket for that limb".....
I don't think he was criticizing or condescending your skill, just trying to make a point that we (collectively) should make sure we excercise all climbing options before reaching for the pole...which I have seen many people use as a crutch.
My teacher wouldn't send up the pole unless my frustration level went to a visible 15 out of 10 while I was in the tree.....

Power lines are a different story....when working around the power, do what's safe. Which is what it sounds like you were trying to do. I always like to be tied in so that if in the event I was to swing, I would swing WELL AWAY from the power...in theory at least....

my hyuchi

I think is 17'... mybe 20'..
Got it in 2004, and it still operates perfectly... I have replaced the scabbord and the blade once.. That is it... Nice tool in the right situation.. Sometimes it gets used 5 times/week.. sometimes it stays in the truck for weeks at a time.

My only complaint would be it is too hard to hang or tie to a rope. I have a 1' loopie girthed to the slot on the tip of the scabbord and use that to tie and clip to... still a hastle..

Also after re-reading your original post Sure enough storm damage is a bit of a different situation.. especially if the top is broken out.. We haven't had a major storm around here in a long time. Seems like when the wind does blow it has totalled most trees that get damaged..

I guess pole saws in trees are one of my pet peeves... Last year I went to arbor day and saw a bunch of climbers running around trees making all pole saw cuts... And wondered how do these companies make and $$$ ???

I think is 17'... mybe 20'..
Got it in 2004, and it still operates perfectly... I have replaced the scabbord and the blade once.. That is it... Nice tool in the right situation.. Sometimes it gets used 5 times/week.. sometimes it stays in the truck for weeks at a time.

My only complaint would be it is too hard to hang or tie to a rope. I have a 1' loopie girthed to the slot on the tip of the scabbord and use that to tie and clip to... still a hastle..

Also after re-reading your original post Sure enough storm damage is a bit of a different situation.. especially if the top is broken out.. We haven't had a major storm around here in a long time. Seems like when the wind does blow it has totalled most trees that get damaged..

I guess pole saws in trees are one of my pet peeves... Last year I went to arbor day and saw a bunch of climbers running around trees making all pole saw cuts... And wondered how do these companies make and $$$ ???
Well yeah murphy, if it wasn't for storm damage I would of never considered buying one myself.
And as far as your problem with them, I did this to mine so I could carry it Robin Hood style.
0409092358.jpg

Sherrill has a pole pick item 32360 that fits on the end of the standard pole, this has a hook and pick at the end and is only $23.00. I don't have one yet but one will be on my next order.

There you go Tree MD.

attachment.php

Someone already has what I was thinking of. It is basically a pike pole attachment (like firefighters use to pull ceilings in fire damaged structures)

Not as cool as my painters pole :) but very functional. I know it may be a pain to bring out another pice of equipment, but seeing your luck with the Silkys....

There you go Tree MD.

attachment.php

Someone already has what I was thinking of. It is basically a pike pole attachment (like firefighters use to pull ceilings in fire damaged structures)

Not as cool as my painters pole :) but very functional. I know it may be a pain to bring out another pice of equipment, but seeing your luck with the Silkys....
I bought one for my yellow sticks but they never seemed to have an edge last very long at all.
garfieldhangover.jpg

I bought one for my yellow sticks but they never seemed to have an edge last very long at all.
garfieldhangover.jpg

I don't think it is supposed to have a cutting edge, is it?

Pike poles are meant as a pulling tool. The sharp point on the end is for driving through plaster and lathe and the hook is turned and pulled downward.

I don't think it is supposed to have a cutting edge, is it?

Pike poles are meant as a pulling tool. The sharp point on the end is for driving through plaster and lathe and the hook is turned and pulled downward.
Well yeah I don't leave home without it. I thought you were talking about the blades you can put on them.

Man i thought i abused my hayauchi but 3 in a year that's amazing. I use mine a lot--same tool four years-- and have been around the horn with murph's anti-pole opinion already. they are good for large spreading trees so you can prune adjacent leads without climbing them, and very useful for the light reduction cuts often needed in trees around here.

i like the hook they make for it, but i put mine on a dogleash while climbing. And yes i agree with murph polesaws can be a crutch--always best to tie in high and limbwalk wide. :clap:

I guess I could have been a little more descriptive in my OP and should probably be a little more thick skinned. I am not a big fan of pole saws in the tree either. The pole saw is my last choice for making pruning cuts in the tree. It's unwieldy and if you don't take the time to make multiple pruning cuts the limb can split and peel under it's own weight. Not to mention the fact that it can work you to death. I believe that you exert far less energy if you just climb up to where you need to make your cut and do it with a handsaw.

My biggest pet peeve is the guys who will not climb up to the proper point to make their cut, make their cuts to low and essentially hat rack the tree. You can drive down many rural roads around here and see lines of hat racked trees where someone rented a small lift and just went down the road topping tree after tree. To tell the truth, I never used a pole saw much until I saw a climber who contracted with me last year use a hayauchi. First I had seen one in action. I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread and is a life saver in trees that are severely storm damaged. I like to cut the loose hangers out before I ascend the tree and clear my path for safety reasons. I will also often cut the hangers out of neighboring trees while aloft and mitigate the hazard before I climb them to make the proper cuts. The first two saws I mentioned were tore up by my groundies pulling hangers from the ground and getting the saw hung up in them as they crashed to the ground. I bent one of the saws onetime but was able to repair it. When I bent the saw this time It was the last straw. We have been doing storm damaged trees for nearly a year and a half now. I am looking for a better more cost effective way to pull hangers if need be.

I am thinking I'll get a Jameson with a pole pike. Thanks to all for your input and apologize if I came off as a know it all or offended anyone.

Last edited:
Our local lineman's supply sells a little tool that attaches to the end of jameson poles. I have no idea what it's called but it's slick for setting ropes and pulling hangers. It looks like this.

__ __
__)(____________________

...errrr, kinda. The long line at the end is s'posed ta be the pole. and at the end of the pole there's a U facing you and a U facing away. Anybody see one of these? We always called it the penetraitor. Thought it fitting.

Our local lineman's supply sells a little tool that attaches to the end of jameson poles. I have no idea what it's called but it's slick for setting ropes and pulling hangers. It looks like this.

__ __
__)(____________________

...errrr, kinda. The long line at the end is s'posed ta be the pole. and at the end of the pole there's a U facing you and a U facing away. Anybody see one of these? We always called it the penetraitor. Thought it fitting.
Talkin' about one of these Blakester?
0410091707.jpg

That's the jobby! And, are you serious with that tatoo? That's like having "Molson" inked on my forehead. You're a different kinda guy, Raymond. :cheers:
LOL I've said I was ate up with this work.
You know how many ol' boys seen that with my hand shake, bidding jobs and getting the job becuase of it? I've lost track. My secret though don't tell anyone. :cheers:

Man I wanna hang out with you guys tonight but I have to go eat dinner with the endlaws. :cry:

Thats for working with powerline fuses or something.

I dont get it?? Some of you dont have access to the standard pole saw head?? Seriously, I dont get it! Dont your pole heads have a hook where you bolt the blade?? that hook is for pulling hangers+ moving/pulling ropes :dizzy:

BTW, thats the first time i've had to use that ghey google-eyed symbol sinse I've been hanging around here.

I like a 12 ft basswood pole. Hayuche in the tree is good for some things, but often the risk reward just does not balance out.

I hate ferrule joints, because that is where most of the slop in the saw comes from; so you end up fighting the saw.

Thats for working with powerline fuses or something.

I dont get it?? Some of you dont have access to the standard pole saw head?? Seriously, I dont get it! Dont your pole heads have a hook where you bolt the blade?? that hook is for pulling hangers+ moving/pulling ropes :dizzy:

BTW, thats the first time i've had to use that ghey google-eyed symbol sinse I've been hanging around here.
Who said I didn't have one?
0410091835.jpg

Later fellas
YIYENCAYQV42VCA6UDL9VCAD7IYZPCAEZUO.jpg

I like a 12 ft basswood pole. Hayuche in the tree is good for some things, but often the risk reward just does not balance out.

I hate ferrule joints, because that is where most of the slop in the saw comes from; so you end up fighting the saw.

Most good arborists I know have either 10' or 12 ft. basswood (or fir and hemlock they're making them out of now quite often) straight, stiff, and light long poles, they have some extra replacement poles on hand ($20ea.), take a sheet of sandpaper to them once in a while, and keep your $15 Jameson, or some other cheaper tri-cut razor toothed blades like Gilford for $12 or $13 sharp. Keep a watch on the blades when loading truck etc, and they will last longer and cut VERY well, and then just change them out ever month or so.

If you get a pole (and you know wood, so grab one and look at the grain, and mount the head on it in such a way that its solid, treat it like your samarai staff, and become zen with it, take care of it, and it will be your best friend.

I would never spend $200 on a pole saw! :sword:
How much weight can you really save from a basswood pole. Not much.

Latest posts

Back