Yet Another "What's On The Bench?" Thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if it is the alt. or the computer.

:cry:

i may have them both parts if need them ,if light is coming and going sounds like alt though or a slipping belt though ,does it stay running if pull the positive cable off when it is running ?

i may have them both parts if need them ,if light is coming and going sounds like alt though or a slipping belt though ,does it stay running if pull the positive cable off when it is running ?

I just replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler with a Gates system that in an upgrade. Very nice setup too. It's not slipping.

I checked the voltage, and it's at 14.2 volts. Everything I see is good.......but the damn alt. light is coming on.

I just replaced the belt, tensioner, and idler with a Gates system that in an upgrade. Very nice setup too. It's not slipping.

I checked the voltage, and it's at 14.2 volts. Everything I see is good.......but the damn alt. light is coming on.
Bridge rectifier in the alternator is going/gone. Put the Multimeter on the AC scale and then read the voltage. It should not give you a reading.

Bridge rectifier in the alternator is going/gone. Put the Multimeter on the AC scale and then read the voltage. It should not give you a reading.

Sounds like you know what you are talking about friend.

I'll just replace the alternator tomorrow.

I had the alt. tested.......it tests good. But that is for a second on a machine. The light comes on after about a half mile.

What's on my bench?

A Poulan (Pooolawn in TN) SD25CVA that I picked up in Idaho about 8 weeks ago in a $100 nine saw lot.

I dumped the stinky gas, pulled fresh 40:1 non ethaol through the system, fueled it up, and we have lift off. Just need to do some fine tuning.

Thanks for asking.

The rectifier is a good place to look. On one that is dying heat will effect it.

Check all those ground straps. They connect the motor, dash, trans, etc to the frame and battery ground.
They cause all sorts of strange issues.

Give me a good 4bbl carb, a 1 wire HEI distributor, a good simple AC unit and hand crank windows.

On my bench is the wifes alarm clock. One with the 2 bells on top.
You fix one thing around the house then you are expected to fix everything!

That "looks" scary lean.

Did you kill it in a cut, then pull the plug?

If not, you won't get a good reading.

If you pulled it after idling......it might need more fuel on the low side.

I like 13,200 on those saws. Big saw, big wood, lots of fuel.
No I did not, but I usually blip the throttle a little and shut it off. I fattened it up a quarter turn I'll check it when I get a chance to do some cuttin. And yes it was in some big wood 28" bar buried in burr oak/white oak every cut

On my bench this week is an MS170 that won't oil, MS250 that won't run right, McCulloch PM700 with a fuel leak, and an 029 that's low on power.

MS170 oil hose wasn't seated very well in the oil pump housing, and the filter was mostly plugged.
MS250 needs a carburetor.
PM700 needs the fuel tank gasket (or gasket sealer... probably gasket sealer).
029 scuffed up piston.

These will keep me busy.

Also on the bottom of the bench is my 064. I broke a piece of the mag casting where the jug seats. Not a real happy camper at this point. Does anyone know what you weld mag with? Will an aluminum MIG welder do the job with a skilled operator?

Sounds like you know what you are talking about friend.

I'll just replace the alternator tomorrow.
It used to be you could take it to a shop and they would rebuild it or give you one from the repaired pile. Now its a disposable society. This is one reason I like this place. Many would toss an old saw and just buy new.. silly bastards!

Latest posts

Back