yet another "which saw" post

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm a homeowner type who cuts 6 or 7 cord a firewood a year, and I'm in the market for a new saw. I figure that something in the 40 to 50cc range with an 18" bar will suit my needs.

Looking at new saws, I'm kind of disappointed that most saws in this size range, have plastic crankcases. I know from searching this message board that some people have had good luck with plastic crankcase saws, but they seem like a bad idea to me.

Anyway, I would like to spend less than $300 if possible on my new saw. There are quite a few Husky 55 Ranchers available on the web, that are in my price range. It is my understanding that these saws have a magnesium crankcase, Could someone please confirm this.

Are there any other saws that may be a better choice in this size/price range. There arn't many saw dealers in my area, so I will most likely be buying over the web, or from a box store.

I work on my own equipment, and plan on keeping this saw for a long time, so parts availability is also an issue for me.

I apologize for the long post. Thanks for your advise,

I'd say that looking at your price range, and expected use of the saw, the 55R would be a fine saw. And though you don't see plastic cases on pro saws, this isn't to say that they are bad or entirely undesirable. The Stihl 290/310/390 series of saws are plastic cased saws, and in their intended homeowner role, are super fine saws. There's many, many good firewood saws out there, and I'd look at what the saw has to offer as far as parts availability, warrantee and dealer support. You said there's no dealers in your area, but there's several places you can get decent Husky's online, Bailey's being one of them. I'd buy from a box store as a near last result. They're not going to be able to help you out in any other way than giving you a new saw, should your original one fail you.

As with any new saw purchase, get yourself the knowledge required to use it properly and then the PPE to compliment your knowledge.

Jeff

I always recommend a Stihl MS 260, but that's a bit higher than your price range. The next thing I always tell people is that a good used pro saw is better than a brand new consumer saw. (But for some reason people always want a brand new saw).

A Dolmar/Makita 520i or 540 can be had for under $300. Either one could handle 5 to 7 cords of firewood per year for a lot of years given proper maintenance and care. I've had great luck with Dolmars. You might also try the Efco/John Deere 952. I hear they are as good or better than my little 951F, and it is awesome.

Pat

I had considered both the Makita, and the Efco/cub cadet from tractor supply, but it was my understanding that they both had plastic crankcases.

While plastic case saws may be holding up well now, I don't feel that they have been around long enough to be sure they will hold up over time. Is the plastic going to become brittle as it ages? Will it weaken with repeated cycles of going from frozen to running. ( I do a lot of my cutting in the winter, and the saw will be stored in an unheated garage) With my use, I don't think it is unreasonable for me to expect my next saw to last at least 20 years. My current saw is a Mcculloch Mac Cat, considered throw away junk by most in this group, and it did everything that I asked of it for 10+ years.

Back