You guys have got SOME nerve

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been a member of this board for over a year now.
Last year I climbed with a taughtline hitch tied to my spreader snap with the tail going to my climbing line. For pruning I used to use gaffs to get up the tree. I never wore a helmet and never carried a hand saw into the tree with me. - This is the way I was taught.
This past fall I started using the Blake's hitch but with my spreader snap still. Over the winter I got a split tail. I then got a Petzl Pantin. I no longer use gaff's when pruning. I started carrying a hand saw in the trees a few months ago. Today I bought a helmet from Petzl. I also bought the Big Shot for using with my shot bag / slick line.

So really I just want to say thank you to everyone for showing me the light.

I wonder who that could be Dave :rolleyes:

BTW- The people who taught me also wrapped ropes around trees or telephone poles and never used blocks. I have been using both for the past 2 or 3 years.

When I showed one of the guys my split tail system he replied "too much can go wrong" :rolleyes:

No, they have advanced beyond that. They use the single snap... 12 strand rope, taughline hitch with 3 wraps, spurs for everything, blocks only when trying to pull a rope through some woods.

It is funny though. One OLDSCHOOL climber who I do some work for (as he doesn't climb anymore due to age) He never says anything bad about my climbing gear, actually makes positive comments. A few winters ago I took down a maple tree for the guy behind his house. He climbed up a few feet to cut a big branch off so that we could drop it in the yard. Guy climbs still on manilla 3 strand. He has a REALLY old saddle too... I believe it is all leather. Guy is good though, he will bail me out on a job if I get into any trouble with no questions asked.
I have to pay him a visit within the next few nights. He built a pole barn behind his house and has some room in it to spare. I gotta see if he will let me keep some BS equipment there.

Talk about a learning curve , it a life long process.
Here,s our latest kick move your hand saw scarrbard to your leg( calf area) there are some pics on another site ( see Mark Chisholm helmet). You have to add adjustable straps. I looks an feels weird ( you keep trying to put your saw back in its old place) for a while but it's less gear on your harness and the saw is actually in a more convienent location.
I recommend its worth a try.

me three...

I've heard about it for some time now. It does osund good, seems I have too many things attached all in the same place...and the saw gets in the way a lot...

Some of the vendors are selling leg scabbards now.

I've seen 2 other mods, take a hole 1 inch saw and cut a dust drain in the bottom.

Cut recesses and tape *****ts in to hold the saw in the scabbard. Tom will have to share the rest of that. For all i know he could be trying to market it.

I have been using the leg scabberd for a while now, I give it a big ho hum, la di da.

The pluses:
looks cool
gets it out of the mess around your waist

The minuses:
your pants ride up and stay up allowing saw dust in your boots
your climbing rope and lanyard get hung up on it
you have to put it on, two straps
you have to take it off, two straps
you have to remember it
it chafes your leg

I wunder if a Back scabbard would work? it seems like it would be out of the way. But it might be Nasty if you missed the opening when re holstering. :eek:

I was at Vermeer today talking with the Sherrill representative (Tim Bushnell) He was demonstrating the leg scabbords with the Gomtaro. It seemed alright, I personally think that I would rather have it hanging from my belt though because of loss of leg mobility. Tim showed me several new things that I am taking into consideration for rigging and climbing. Seems like a really good guy and more than willing to share his knowledge with others.

With saw names Like Gomtaro,Zubat,Hayuchi,Ginga,Ibuki And Natanoko Seems only fitting. :rolleyes:

For a while I climbed with one of the new Buckingham leg scabbards. After a time I taped on some straps to my Zubat sheath. Now I have the Z attached above and below my knee. No loss of motion and the scabbard is in the exact place at all times. No more fishing around up by my waist.

Tom

Latest posts

Back