You guys seen this one yet?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The thought never crossed my mind that this may have been done on purpose. I'm not a faller, but I was real interested in what you pro's had to say about this.

One of the comments that was funny on that other site was that it was a close call, dang near took out the deck :dizzy:

The thought never crossed my mind that this may have been done on purpose. I'm not a faller, but I was real interested in what you pro's had to say about this.

One of the comments that was funny on that other site was that it was a close call, dang near took out the deck :dizzy:
I think you might be right, looking at the notch cut on the butt end and the stump where the side pulled out it appears that it was cut right for the house.

never crossed my mind

"The thought never crossed my mind that this may have been done on purpose."

===============

The face was away from where it fell by 90 degrees or so.

They were not trying to hit the house.

It looks like some D- loggers, (at least on that day), stepping into the arborist world.

{They cleaned off the butt log before they dealt with the house. Thinking of the mill first.}

---------------

Does anyone know where this was?

I was looking at the pictures on the link, you can zoom in if you click that little magnifying glass in the upper right corner of the picture. Anyway, The pic of that dude standing on the trunk, on the butt end of that tree it clearly looks like wedges were used, up there toward the top eh?

I don't know where this was, it'd be nice to know though, sheesh, what a DROP!!!

Wedges

Those marks that appear to be made by wedges.........

They're angled toward the house a bit, when the tree was still standing.

Not directly from the back or better yet angled from the deck side lifting away from the deck. Not toward it.

==============

Wedges are there to change the lean of the tree.

So if the faller ........................

Last edited:
They notched it looks like it twisted about 45 degrees from the notch looks like they cut too far into the holding wood side away from the house. You can see the notch in RFtreemans link.

t looks like to small of a notch for such a big tree

Terrible work for sure haha.

A few weeks ago a guy asked me to drop a tree right on the garage cause he was "going to replace it anyway" and wanted to save time on the demolition. I said "No thanks, we don't do that kind of work..." Insurance claim anyone?

Holly SH!T

I bet the fly by nights loaded up and bailed. Customer probably took the pic.
That's what you get sometimes when you try to save a few bucks.

If that was leaning over the house, they sawed up the wrong corner. Notice the big tag of wood on the left hand side. The right hand side was sawn off. Should have been the other way around.

notch

"it looks like to small of a notch for such a big tree."

==============

An advantage a deeper notch can have on a tree being dropped 90 degrees to its lean is that a larger face provides a better release in the desired direction of fall than a shallower one.

You're moving more wood, (weight), on the side of the fulcrum that you want the tree to go.

A taller face, open face, had no bearing on this event. You can see how the root pulled. That had to happen way before even a short face would have closed.

I think a deeper notch would have helped but they still needed to utilize ropes and cut / wedge the back-cut properly.

Last edited:
After looking at the pic again

It looks like the first and only cut was the bottom of a deep (to deep) notch. And the tree went the wrong way, trying to bring up the root system on the backside.

Trees like that needs a deep notch..but obviously not too deep.

Wrong side cut off

"If that was leaning over the house, they sawed up the wrong corner. Notice the big tag of wood on the left hand side. The right hand side was sawn off. Should have been the other way around."

Yes

Latest posts

Back