you guys think a degree in forestry would look good on a busness card?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Line clearence is a necessary evil; there is spec., and a reason for that spec. Many trees were planted in the wrong places and lots of wire is strung in the wrong place. I have worked on specimen trees in arboretums and understand tree biology. For now steady workand good benifits will prevail over living in the perfect world.

Many lines were strung through/over existing trees.

One of the reasons for standards is that the pruning companies are doing it for profit and want to get it done as fast as possible. Many of the guys doing the work could care less about tree care, and just want to get their quota and on break.

Since you are here, you care, but for many on ROW crews it is just another job. They are often proud that they do it well, but it is the line clearance that they do, not care for trees. Milwaukee is supposed to have one of the best forestry departments in the world, but I see lots of lazy lopping that is not called for.

i heard asphlundh is offering residential tree care now days. i wonder if this means there stepping up there game to tree care and not just line clearence.

So, do any of you know of a school in the Midwest, I get Voc Rehab from the VA, gonna use it to get my degree, if they let me!

Out here in California a degree in forestry would be really beneficial. As a professional licensed forester you could write up your own management plans and be in a great position to market to land owners with small to medium size rural parcels.

I personally think the fuel reduction and small woodlot management "industry" is ripe for growth out here with the risk of wildfire being so high. I've thought about getting a forestry degree as well. Be careful which school you choose. Higher education has turned into vocational studies in my opinion.

Unfortunately industry has too much influence over course load in many fields. It takes from innovation and perpetuates the status quo. In forestry that means academia justifies clear-cutting.

I have completed a Forestry Tech. program (about 3 years ago now) and I'm currently in year 1 of the Arborist Apprenticeship program here. I'm glad I took the Forestry because its giving me a real edge in tree ID and science/biology. Now I can focus on my climbing and learn some of the ornamental trees that don't occur naturally in Ontario.

They both go hand in hand really, very similar fields in some aspects... alot of differences too though. And the arborist apprenticeship has alot of safety info that applies specifically to our industry, which IMHO is a necessity to work in this field.

I really don't know! I would prefer a University, but I'm not sure if that is the training I'll need. Urban is what I work, really not alot of call for a forester, however that education would be just more on top. What IS the top? How far can one go! My goal is to have a degree in Arboriculture and get my Master at the ISA.
That's why I'm asking you guys!
I have no idea where to go to get the best bang!

Some stuff from ISU

http://google.iastate.edu/search?ou...ystylesheet=default_frontend&=&q=horticulture

ISU Forestry Extension offers many educational opportunities and can also custom prepare forestry educational materials or programs to meet the needs of clients. Educational programs offered by ISU Forestry Extension

ganization Information
Name ISU Arboriculture Club
Abbreviation Arb club
Organization Type Departmental - Ag & Life Sciences
Tier Student Organization - Registered (Constitution not yet reviewed)
Mailing Address 339 Science II
Ames, IA 50011
Phone 515-294-1458
Email None
Web Address http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/arbclub
Description The mission shall be to enhance the professional development of its membership through a variety of academic and field experiences designed to provide networking opportunities and career growth in the fields of Urban Forestry and Arboriculture.
Affiliations Midwest Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture, Iowa Arborist Association

College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Organismal Biology

University of Iowa - Bachelor degree - Botany + Plant Biology

A program that focuses on the scientific study of plants, related microbial organisms, and plant habitats and ecosystem relations. Includes instruction in plant anatomy and structure, phytochemistry, cytology, plant genetics, plant morphology and physiology, plant ecology, plant taxonomy and systematics, paleobotany, and applications of biophysics and molecular biology.

Depends on what you are looking for; if you plan to do further schooling later on, most of the classes are 100 level and will not transfer to a university. I found out the hard way.

I really don't know! I would prefer a University, but I'm not sure if that is the training I'll need. Urban is what I work, really not alot of call for a forester, however that education would be just more on top. What IS the top? How far can one go! My goal is to have a degree in Arboriculture and get my Master at the ISA.
That's why I'm asking you guys!
I have no idea where to go to get the best bang!

You go to university to get an education, not skills training. There are very few programs where you graduate out of university into a skilled job. Usually there is on-the-job training required.

I got a forestry tech diploma out of high school and went to work as a forestry tech. After a few years of training university grads, who were then promoted above me, I got frustrated with the ceiling that was put on tech grads and returned to university for my degree.

My experience is very common. The guys with the technical knowledge train the university grads, who are then promoted into managerial positions. I always found it frustrating, but accept the reality.

University it is then. I want to go as far as I can, not to get on the regulation thing, I know there is a thread on it, but this is tied to it, No one, and I mean no one, in the private sector around here is interested in the education, I'm the odd ball, and yes I want regs. I feel if I cry wolf, I had better know what Im talking about. I have a lot of field experience myself, but around here that don't separate me from the other's. Not to mention the fact that ..........well I want to know everything about my craft, big goal, I know! but why aim low! The VA is going pay me to go to school. I need to make the most of it!
I have no mentor's here, I thank you 2 for the Info

greanbean

I want to know everything about my craft, big goal, I know! but why aim low!

Start thinking of it as a profession vs a trade or craft. The trade is the practical part in the tree, profession is all the theory and knowldege that go beyond that.

The VA is going pay me to go to school. I need to make the most of it!
I have no mentor's here, I thank you 2 for the Info

greanbean

Which part of the GI bill are you on? I am on Ch. 31 VocRehab and it is half of what the Ch 35(?) post 9/11 era vets get.

Are you maintaining your company as you go through the education process?

Lastly, change the thinking to it being part of your pension. The "VA is paying me" feels and sounds more like welfare.

Your right it does sound that way! thank you for correction J.P.S.
I'm not sure on the G.I. BILL yet, I had the old one, however since I was called back, I have the option, picking the new one if I can and giving it to my wife, new thing now, I still get the Voc Rehab, haven't dove to deep in it as I just received my Pension from the VA, hence all the Q's about our profession.:dizzy:

Your right it does sound that way! thank you for correction J.P.S.
I'm not sure on the G.I. BILL yet, I had the old one, however since I was called back, I have the option, picking the new one if I can and giving it to my wife, new thing now, I still get the Voc Rehab, haven't dove to deep in it as I just received my Pension from the VA, hence all the Q's about our profession.:dizzy:

If you have not made an appointment with a VocRehab counselor, then do so. The as it is you cannot dip into both chapters, so if you take ch 31 then the 9/11 gi bill will be unavailable. But if you can take the former and your wife the latter, you may be better off.

Then you need to look at the credit load you can handle compared to the stipend scale, I'm taking 9 credits because it gives me ~$200 then 7-8 credits; but i would have to take 12 or 14 to get the full amount. I probably would go full time if I was eligible for 9/11, since that is roughly a $1500 stipend and I could still get in six or seven days of work a month.

If you have troubles with math, then get those in right away, you need it for the Chem which opens up all the biology. I am beating my head against the wall with the basic math stuff. No calculator! :eek:

Back