You Never Tied A butt off to keep from hitting a house?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, thank you for the translation. I always strip the limbs about halfway up on the side the tree will land on and that will solve the problem. The son of the last guy I worked for would drop a tree and sit safely on the loader while others went in and stripped the limbs. Crazy dangerous especially if you let more than one person cut.

GM, just because an idea or thought is clear in your mind while you are writing about it does not mean that you have made the idea or thought clear in your writing.

Originally posted by SilverBlue
Actually I was going to meet him and let you guys know the real TC, the one you guys loved to have around ;)
MB you may have just spoiled a promising career for the young fella!

Silverblue... Ontario....

GM.... Ontario.....

Hmmmmmm....

;)

Gypo?

Hmmmmmmm...
teeter.gif

So what did you report GM for? Is being a retard a crime? Personaly I love to read what he has to say. I have no idea what he talking about. I just wish I could that kinda love from my ground man. GM seems like the kinda guy the more you beat him the more he's love ya like a golden retriever.

So why is it better for the the branches to land flat? I don't see that they have to land flat all the time. Sometimes I like to slice them off and plant them in the ground. Back in the day we would just flush it off spray it garlon and count it as another removal.:D

I just don't see the use of calling someone moron or boring or trash. That says more about the namecaller than the namecallee, imo. The guy has attitude issues but don't we all at times.

Undercutting limbs to make the tree lay flat makes excellent sense, this from one who nearly died from a ruptured spleen caused by stupidly cutting a branch under tension; thanks Mike for the translation.

i think that partially undercutting lead limbs to fold rather than dig into ground and make spring poles; also pays off by absorbing some of the force, as the now very large leaf spring(ya guys gotta allow me that one!) now folds and snaps at loading/crushing to ground.

Whatever force that it takes to fold/shear the limbs is immediately dissipated from the ground strike, making for a softer landing.

Also, the weight of those branches is maintained on the helpfull pull side to the lay instead of opting to cut them off so they don't dig in. And helps keep saw outta sand on cutting spar, in the position under spar.

i think disarming spring poles is dangerous as Guy attests, good lessons in releasing force with saw though. i think lots can be learned about hinging etc. while bucking; it is not hanging upside down hinging, or felling on the run to the clear zone; but it is still dangerous work.

i don't think we need the name calling or aggression either; fact is; i can be rather creative myself; just choose not to generally.

Last edited:
there is no way id under cut limbs then come down if you wer falling the tree wouldnt you just bomb them off its just rediculous

maybe GM wasnt a good groundie his popa couldnt trust him to cut up a fallen tree he has to under cut the limbs with no care to his own safety to save his little boy some work/make it safer for GM how sweet:laugh:

Originally posted by aussie_lopa
there is no way id under cut limbs then come down if you wer falling the tree wouldnt you just bomb them off its just rediculous

What if you wanted the limbs that you were undercutting to help pull the tree in the direction of fall? Once removed the tree would lean even more towards the wrong direction.
Don't forget he had a RR track, which stopped him from setting a rope in that direction, and a really nice home on the other side.

Aussie, you're ok, but you still need a few more years under your belt before you give advice to the worlds best climber/groundman combination.

true mike id be 100 yr old and still say i only have a reasonable knowledge,better to let other people do the talking.maybe i should get GMs dad to come do an ash for me its only a baby,or wait a minute, why dont you come over! one tree will easily pay for the flight and you came go on your merry way.ill be posting picks of this tree its not for the faint hearted or big talker not saying you are.if you have acomplished all you can in US ill gladly give you a few more learning curves!

a few to do not alowed to drop on road,sell off what logs i can big ones are usually pipes anyhow.new culvit underneath damm

Who the heck is this guy? I'm having a tough time following him. What the hell is going on?

He came on and derailed the Stupid Human Tricks thread the other day, and made a solid name for himself. Read back on that thread and you'll see.

GM knows I'm the best treeguy in the world, but he's got everyone convinced that he considers his Dad to be the best. Big, big heart, but I must concur with our panel of experts:

No worries. The derailer was the starter of this thread, GM, and the star of pages three through 8 in http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14899, a.k.a. Stupid Human Tricks, where, for those who don't know it, went from a perfectly good thread about corny, regretful crap that we've done in our careers as tree men, to....

THEN, out of freakin nowhere, in launches GM, and with much passion, fire, vigor and and conviction, (and a few swear words and some insults), proceeded to chisel hisself into our collective consciousnesses.

Aussie, I believe I remember you had some words with this newcomer, something akin to "Hi, so how's your Mum? Things good? All right!", but not exactly those words exactly.

I'm following GM's career. He's my hero.

Originally posted by Tree Machine
No worries. The derailer was the starter of this thread, GM, and the star of pages three through 8 in http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14899, a.k.a. Stupid Human Tricks, where, for those who don't know it, went from a perfectly good thread about corny, regretful crap that we've done in our careers as tree men, to....

THEN, out of freakin nowhere, in launches GM, and with much passion, fire, vigor and and conviction, (and a few swear words and some insults), proceeded to chisel hisself into our collective consciousnesses.

TM, thank you for your post. I am one of those that did not know and was completely lost. I had no idea he started a new thread. That is why I was asking what he was trying to say.

Back