You want to know why Stihl is #1....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They set the mark years ago, and never slowed down!

You mean they been selling the same technology for the past 25 years! That explains why so many get orgasmic over the 361, Stihl finally got around to building them like a husky. ;)

Speaking of calenders..here's the new Husky calender:

71RH7CCCN0L_SL500_AA240_.jpg

Now here's the new Stihl callender:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlhI9ssXmRY

You ask me nicely if you could try it. I might even stop rubbing it in for a few seconds while I consider your request. :D

Now how'd I know Pat would pipe up about the video?.... Oh ya, he's a horny old Bastard :kilt:

I have all three locally (stihl,husk,dolmar) my deciding factor was the dealer. Went to each and told them what i wanted would like to try the same cc saw of the three brands. husky said they don't do that, dolmar gave me the biggest piece off poop they had, and stihl brought three to the table in there back lot and said "I'll be back in a few, let me no what you think" I brought the 460 home ran the tank they had filled it up w/and switched to 100ll, modded the muffler took it back and asked them to retune (I have no tach) took care of me right then, out the door w/no charge no questions about what I did. That's what made them the best for me!! Not to mention the stocked parts if & when you need them.

I have all three locally (stihl,husk,dolmar) my deciding factor was the dealer. Went to each and told them what i wanted would like to try the same cc saw of the three brands. husky said they don't do that, dolmar gave me the biggest piece off poop they had, and stihl brought three to the table in there back lot and said "I'll be back in a few, let me no what you think" I brought the 460 home ran the tank they had filled it up w/and switched to 100ll, modded the muffler took it back and asked them to retune (I have no tach) took care of me right then, out the door w/no charge no questions about what I did. That's what made them the best for me!! Not to mention the stocked parts if & when you need them.
THAT'S a good dealer. Makes you wonder though. How many guys would pay top dollar for a saw that's been "demonstrated" a few times. I wonder how the dealer "deals" with that.

I'm 98% Stihl but 7 dealers in a 12 mile circle is alot I think, I could see this in the PNW or where logging is bigger than other areas.

I got 3 within 20 miles of me, one is a well known small engine repair guy that does mowers/atvs/etc, one is a huge lumber yard/rental center, and one is a mom and pop hardware store. All these guys seem to do well but I don't think Stihl is their cash cow although the rental store moves many units.

I have to laugh at these Stihl threads...

Back in the '60s, I was growing up in a small Oregon logging town. In those days, the arguments were Mac vs. Homelite - and even the most rabid Stihl or Husky fan pales in comparison to the Macs and the Homies. You people are amateurs compared to those guys!

Anyhow, I remember when the first Stihls started showing up. They quickly developed a (well deserved) reputation for flooding and hard starting, particularly when warm. Parts were also a problem, as they hadn't yet developed their dealer network.

More than once I overheard a conversation at the local diner where a bunch of loggers were having lunch. Of course the Mac guy and the Homelite guy would be going at it, and inevitably someone would mention Stihl. "Too bad you can't get parts for one", he'd say - at which point someone else would chime in "that's OK - they don't run long enough to wear out parts anyhow!"

To this day I have a dislike for Stihl. I've run them, they're fine saws - but not noticeably better than anything else, and I can't get over that old bias.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Last edited:
I thought it had been established that Stihl is most certainly not number one. The number one selling saw in the country is the Poulan Wild Thing. When taken in the aggregate, Electrolux companies are bigger than Stihl. Sure, GM may make Chevy and GMC, but that doesn't mean they're not the same truck and the same company.

I thought it had been established that Stihl is most certainly not number one. The number one selling saw in the country is the Poulan Wild Thing. When taken in the aggregate, Electrolux companies are bigger than Stihl. Sure, GM may make Chevy and GMC, but that doesn't mean they're not the same truck and the same company.
:computer: So what you're saying is...Theirs more home owners that only use a saw a couple times a year than full time tree guys?

To this day I have a dislike for Stihl. I've run them, they're fine saws - but not noticeably better than anything else, and I can't get over that old bias.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Stihl is the company that Mac and Homie wish they were today. Mac and Homie may have ruled the roost in the 60s and 70s but Stihl took over long ago.

Latest posts

Back