Your Definition of a Hack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, There's a lot of difference in talent and ethics between offices in large companies, depending on the company. People are individuals no matter who the work for. I have to say their behavior in that situation was really ridiculous, and merits a report to the BBB, and perhaps to their head office. I work for a large national company, but I wont defend actions like that.

Old Dude,
Hey remember all the hacks that came to NC during the Ice Storm?I was down there(in Durham-Raliegh) and some guys were doing FICA cleanup during the week and residential jobs they picked up on weekends.My employer at the time was a hack;it got so bad I quit.

You should have seen Ottawa after the Ice Storm of '98. Anyone that owned a chain saw suddenly became a tree expert! most of the wood was left at the side of the road, I presume for pickup later...I got a whole winter's worth for my fireplace just picking it up on the way to work each day.

I might be a hack now, bought a wire core lanyard today, never had one, thought it would be nice to try one for a climber pine removal for next week.

Larry

Last edited:
Ny finest said:
Old Dude,
Hey remember all the hacks that came to NC during the Ice Storm?I was down there(in Durham-Raliegh) and some guys were doing FICA cleanup during the week and residential jobs they picked up on weekends.My employer at the time was a hack;it got so bad I quit.

I was down there too, I worked for Guy M. mostly in North Raliegh. You'd see the jack legged wood ticks gaffing and bombing stuff off of the roofs, because the damage will be paid for anyways :rolleyes:

I think a whole thread should be devoted to hacks. With time I could compile a good album of stories and pics of my day to day work experiences,( I am not in control of the jobs). Only been in the biz 2 years but I've seen some crazy stuff, my boss who does most of the climbing, is INSANE! Good to learn what not to do.

By the way, I think the definitioin was nailed down as someone who knows they are wrong , knows they could learn more but won't. Ignorance is also no excuse.

Hacks aren't relegated to modifying established trees.

They widened the highway through town here over the last couple of years.  Moved the power lines over beforehand, then proceeded to plant a couple hundred ash trees all along the route near and under the wires as a finishing touch.

I've <i>got</i> to get a digital camera...

Glens-nice to hear that crazy stuff does'nt just happen here. (B.C.) The city of Surrey B.C. (next to Vancouver) has a team of i.s.a. arborists working for them, and I use the term working very loosely. These guys pull all kinds of bone headed stuff, but my all time favorite is when they plant tall growing species under the lines. Our utility (B.C. Hydro) has had a very public education program about proper planting around powerlines. But I guess they know best cause they are i.s.a. certified. I.S.A.=Idiot Surrey Arborists.

Latest posts

Back