Your first hyd log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Remember the day you got it?
Most of you are probably like me Axe, Maul, then Splitter?
Then you bought it, the Splitter that is :smile2:
I found less mess than a maul or axe, Faster on anything bigger than 16'' dia, but much kinder to my body,it was the body thing that made me get one!
I split two full cords in a day with a Axe&Maul and my Shoulder was not happy and that was all just Pine (like I have a choice) That was two years ago, then I bought it How did I last so long? I was younger that is my reason but before that it was 12 years with that Axe & Maul.
P.S I still like to make noodles with my saw, plus they smell so good on the big rounds!
Oh ya every every type of wood stinks! except Pine? LOL

Last edited:
Oh yeah, remember that day well! Was thinking I really couldn't afford 700 bucks, but couldn't afford to not buy it either, considering I burn around 14 full cord each winter( yeah, I know, need to insulate!). :msp_unsure:
A friend's Dad owned it and had passed away, friend doesn't burn wood so he was selling it. On the way over I was thinking it had better be nice to pay that much for a splitter! When I drove in the yard and saw it, I couldn't get the money out fast enough! :msp_ohmy

I have had it four years now. I have since built a new and improved model- same 13 HP Honda engine with electric start, but new one has a hydraulic lift and a 22 gallon per minute pump. The old girl lives it's life out in the woods, only coming home for servicing. Any wood I haul home gets taken care of by the new one.
Ted
Here is a pic of the old lady, if I can figure out how to add it!

View attachment 189876View attachment 189877

i remember my first hydraulic splitter. was a three point model homemade, still have the valves and the pto pump and hoses..made the mistake of leaving it set under the tree in the back yard...someone else needed it worse then i did.. now its back to axe and maul.. this year it seems that every time i get the money ready for the purchase of a new splitter, something goes wrong, such as example#1 four weeks ago i go to move the tractor out of the barn blew the starter out literally and took out the flywheel with it... next day start weedeating seized up the weedeater. next week started mowing and the mower dropped a valve...oh well didn't need the $3000.00 it will take to fix all them anyhow.. last week the newer car broke a tie rod... found more needed done then that. dropped extra $$$'s in that... now that's fixed what's next..
anyone else like to have some bad luck? i will send ya some, free of charge...:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

I split wood with a maul since I was in high school. I didn't want or need a hydraulic log splitter but was given an old Lickety Log Splitter with a thrown rod and disassembled engine. I got another Kohler K181 to replace the original and resurrected the old Lickety. I store it at a friend's house and I think he gets more use out of it than I do. I still prefer the maul. I can split wood faster than the logsplitter and I need the exercise. Not only that it feels good splitting firewood with a maul.

I've split a lot of firewood with a maul, still do from time-to-time... sometimes it's just faster to grab the maul for halving or quartering a few dozen rounds. But when the rounds get nasty, gnarly and stringy I flat just refuse to use the wedge anymore, and that's where the hydraulic splitter really shines. Elm is hydraulic splitter wood... without the splitter my stove would never see an Elm split.

Nope, I don't remember the first time I used a hydraulic splitter... It was a long, long, long time ago... Long before you could buy them in the "Big Box Stores".

Back in the old days when I was a much younger man. We just had a fire place. We would buy a cord or two of unsplit wood. I would use a maul, axe, wedge & sledge. Worked out fine, I didn't mind the work. But, in 1986 moved into where I live now. Heat with wood, with indoor wood furnace in the basement of old farm house. House was un-insulated at that time, old windows etc. Was gonna need a lot more wood. I bought a 3pt. mounted splitter for the back of one of my tractors. As I recall it was around $300.

The first 5-6 years before upgrading the house, used about 7 cord a year. Now thank goodness thats down to about 4 cord a year to heat with, and sell about 10 cord to friends & neighbors as well. Still use the same old 3pt. splitter. There is no way I will ever go back to the old ways..LOL Although I do still use a wedge & sledge to halve or quarter the big rounds so I can move or lift them.

100_0517.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I can't remember the first time I ran one. It was probably around 9 years ago at the age of 5 with my dad running his home made splitter. I've done many cords on that thing. My dad has done 1000s on it. He built it in 1993. I'm pretty sure it's on it's 3rd engine. Now I have my own woodspliter that a friend of my dads built before he moved down south. When he moved this spring he gave it to me. It works good but I want to modify it.

Back